PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crazy Thing- This Game Comes Down to Two Rookies

Status
Not open for further replies.
manman I am sure that was with the pads off he doesn't play as fast his timed speed Fleener looks like he lumbers to me. Contrast that with J. Thomas who plays alot faster than his timed speed.

Ummm, all combine times are done without pads, where have you been? Either way Collins doesn't lack the athleticism to play either Fleener or Thomas straight up. In fact Fleener had the higher prospect rating. The question is whether or not Collins will bring the consistency and same level of play as last week.

As for moving McCourty on the TE. That sounds good in theory except that removes our best coverage safety from over the top coverage of the Broncos wideouts such as Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. Say what you will about Peyton's arm at this point of his career, but he is coming off a 55 TD 5,000 yard + season. I'd rather maintain over the top coverage on the Denver wideouts.

If I were going to break the game down to two elements it would be the Patriots OL against the Bronco's DL. I think the Patriots win that match-up and that's why they win this game.

I got overly caffeinated and excited this morning, pulled out a note pad and jotted down some chicken scratch. In the weeds now but will post something comprehensive with pics as soon as I get an hour.:)

btw, good to e-interact with you again, man!

Likewise! Quit your day job and just post here here day - that'd be my suggestion.

Ummm, all combine times are done without pads, where have you been? Either way Collins doesn't lack the athleticism to play either Fleener or Thomas straight up. In fact Fleener had the higher prospect rating. The question is whether or not Collins will bring the consistency and same level of play as last week.

As for moving McCourty on the TE. That sounds good in theory except that removes our best coverage safety from over the top coverage of the Broncos wideouts such as Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker. Say what you will about Peyton's arm at this point of his career, but he is coming off a 55 TD 5,000 yard + season. I'd rather maintain over the top coverage on the Denver wideouts.

Decker doesn't worry me at all in this game. He can be easily neutralized by Dennard with or without safety help. That said, McCourty should not be covering Julius Thomas. A job like that is what Collins was drafted for.

manman I am sure that was with the pads off he doesn't play as fast his timed speed Fleener looks like he lumbers to me. Contrast that with J. Thomas who plays alot faster than his timed speed.

Are we sure it's not because Fleener is white? Is that why Thomas is the more "explosive" athlete? Would we give the edge to Fleener for grit as well?

Thomas has had the better season, but he also played like a jackazz for a lot of that game vs San Diego. He had at least one egregiously bad drop, and after a stupid false start you could hear someone on the o-line shout "F'in Julius!" loudly. Just because he has the backstory of Antonio Gates does not make him Gates yet.

He's a tougher matchup than Fleener because he's had the better season, and he plays in an offense with so many weapons that you cannot devote a ton of attention to him. I think Collins can match up with him, and I think he will. I actually think the Pats have the athletes on defense to match up across the field with the Donks, and if Chandler and Ninko can spend the day getting pressure in Peyton's face, they may well hold them to far fewer points than are expected right now.

Actually, I think Jay has a good take on this. Clearly Collins is THE key to how the Pats are going to play the Denver Pass game. He is a good match up on JThomas, who has turned into one of Denver's top 2 receiver threats. Having a LB who we hope can cover him, opens up a world of different coverages for the rest of the Pats secondary on the other 3 WR threats. He also adds another pass rush threat to a relatively immobile Manning. He is the wildcard that Denver can't account for and will have to adjust to contain. All that makes it easier for the rest of the D.

Of course this is asking a lot for a guy who is not only a rookie, but a rookie who has only seen significant snaps on the regular D for the last 6 games. So we may be asking a lot of a talented kid, but a kid nonetheless. Unfortunately, I think we have to.

Dobson is critical not so much what he can do himself, but what his presence does for the rest of the offense. By having 3 legitimate WR threats opens up the possibilities for the rest of offense by 50%. If both the 2 rookies can't play on Sunday, Edelman and Amendola will have a hard time getting open, because the Denver D (as debilitated as it is) can afford to double team both most of the time. If there is a 3rd guy they can't.

So Dobson/Thompson and Collins ARE 2 critical factors in this game. Perhaps not the only critical factors, but 2 of the main ones.

Dobson at least ensures that the Broncos have to dedicate a CB to him, probably in off man due to his potential to get downfield vs. our other WR's. Two things...

1. If he's healthy, he has the ability to torch whomever the Broncos stick on him given their situation in the secondary.

2. If he's not fully healthy, he'll at the very least provide relief for guys like Edelman, Amendola, and Vereen to work the short and intermediate areas of the field.

What I'm wondering is just how much they plan to motion Vereen out of the backfield and split him out wide in this game.

Yep, I will be happy if Dobson can simply pose a deep threat and he and Thompkins can provide enough presence to open things up for Edelman and Amendola to some degree. The passing attack has to be good enough so that Denver cannot play 8 in the box against them. I honestly don't believe Denver can stop NE;s run game without helping the front 7 out, and if they do that then Brady and the receivers have to make them pay for it.

There is only one DRC. If he's on Dobson, he's not on Edelman. Therefore, Dobson is absolutely crucial to the success of the passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down