PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crazy Suggestion: Sit Brady This Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
But if someone said last year "I think Doug Flutie should dropkick the extra point", we'd be having the same discussion.
That was in a meaningless game that they arguably wanted to lose. It's a far different situation Sunday.

How did he show less promise? He got open downfield twice in the same game. How many times this season have you seen a Pats receiver not named Ben Watson do that?

And I'm not sure how playing as Roy Williams is a negative thing. Belichick himself praised Jackson on EEI last week rather effusively, but a lot of people only hear or see what they want to and aren't going to give this guy the benefit until he starts playing like a #1.

A month ago BB was praising him effusely to Dan Deirdorf in their pre game meetings. Told him they planned to get him much more involved in the return game too, maybe as early as that game. Never materialized.

Getting open is a pretty hollow accomplishment if you don't make the reception. Bethel used to get open. Of course Bethel was also a deamon in the return game which added value to his rookie performance. Both of CJ's opportunities on Sunday were catchable balls had he not 1. run the second half of his route with his head on a swivel costing him a step and a half on a perfect throw, and 2. been distracted by the hand in his face, which his HC said on Monday was not face guarding because there was no contact. This is the NFL where the speed of the game and the caliber of defenders you go up against makes your college experiences pale in comparison. He doesn't have to play like a #1 this season, but by virtue of where he was drafted he needs to start showing more and not less in the way of gradual improvement in game situations. They aren't asking him to do much more than utilize his size and speed and get his feet wet in the blocking game, but they are asking him to execute consistently on a limited basis.

Nah, Brady has gotten into a zone. The Miami game the week after may be tough, they are playing well. Why risk knocking Brady off his rhythm?

I seriously doubt that there'll be a single game where the starters on offense sit out down this stretch run. This offense is still a work in progress. They need all the reps they can get prior to the playoffs.

Do you really want to face Denver again if the offense is taking time off? They need to be clicking on all gears by the time our playoff games come around. They won't get there by sitting on the bench.

1. run the second half of his route with his head on a swivel costing him a step and a half on a perfect throw,

I'll admit he should've caught the pass, but the fact that you call it a "perfect throw" shows you aren't being objective here. As Reiss points out in his mailbag, it was the type of throw Brady has been working to avoid when the ball sails instead of drops.

and 2. been distracted by the hand in his face, which his HC said on Monday was not face guarding because there was no contact.
How often do we hear Belichick say a ref blew a call? Come on. The defender didn't look back and was all over CJ. Besides, if Brady throws that ball a few feet forward, CJ catches it in stride.

MoLewisrocks;251214They aren't asking him to do much more than utilize his size and speed and get his feet wet in the blocking game said:
He will, but I don't understand why some fans such as yourself would prefer to have a very negative attitude about his potential.

No mercy on Detroit, let them face the total package. I would have no problem with them sitting Brady against the Lions but I'd want it to be because we had established an insurmountable lead. Third or fourth quarter with a huge lead let Cassel play it out all you want but let the offense establish the lead first. Insert "any given Sunday" narrative here. :D

"Okay, guys.... here it is, my suggestion. Let's bench our star QB against a crappy team to make our 2nd guy look better."

[Those of you who don't want to waste your time with frivolous discussion should probably skip this thread.]

This Friday, BB should announce that Brady is "questionable" with the flu. On Sunday, we make him the #2 QB, and start Cassel.

Why?

The Lions have the WORST pass defense in the NFL. Don't believe their 19th rank against the pass -- that's just because teams are running the clock out all second half. Their 29th in yards per pass attempt, and dead last in opposing passer rating, at 101.2. They are also 2nd to last in interceptions.

I think Cassell could pick the Lions apart. He'd look great. 300+ yards, 3 TDs, an everything.

Now, if teams like the Vikings were considering offering their 1st or 2nd round pick to the Falcons for Matt Schaub, I'd imagine we could get an early 2nd for Cassell at least, if we showcase him right.

With already 2 picks in the 1st round next year, imagine what we could do with another early one?

sucks2.jpg

Better yet, let's bench all of our starters so we can dangle the second stringers as trade bait. And BB shouldn't even show up. Have a ball boy coach the game so another team tries to hire him and then we can take their compensatory picks.

And BB shouldn't even show up.
I agree, I thought he was looking a little tired last night. Maybe we can make Josh McDaniels the HC for the game - then if we win someone might take him off our hands to make him their HC.

(no NEMing here, I like Josh).

Also the Pats could take a cue from the NJ Nets and instead of using our young vibrant cheerleaders for a club like Detroit, we could instead feild a team of Senior Cheerleaders........

From the NETS website:
Tryouts to Take Place on Monday, November 20 at Nets Practice Facility
NETS TO HOLD AUDITIONS FOR NEW SENIOR DANCE TEAM!

All dancers must be at least 60 years of age
EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ -- The Nets are holding open auditions for their first-ever senior dance team on Monday, November 20, from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. at the Nets practice facility at 390 Murray Hill Parkway in East Rutherford. Registration opens at 4 p.m.

The Nets senior dance team will be comprised of men and women who are at least 60 years of age. Those who audition must have some dancing capability. The senior dancers will perform during at least six games this season and will have their ages on the backs of their uniforms.

Vincent Curatola, who plays Johnny Sack on The Sopranos will be one of the audition judges.

"We are looking for seniors who can demonstrate some dancing ability and coordination and be able to learn and perform various routines," said Petra Pope, the Nets Senior Director of Entertainment and Event Marketing. "“The dancers will have a lot of fun and will surely receive overwhelming support by our crowds."

Nets fans are encouraged to come up with a team-name for the senior dance squad and email it to [email protected]. The fan whose suggestion is chosen will receive two tickets to an upcoming game at which the senior dancers are performing.

For more information, please email [email protected] or call the Nets at 201-806- 7508.

MEDIA INVITED TO COVER AUDITIONS

WHO: Dancers 60 years of age and older

WHAT: Auditions for the Nets Senior Dance Team

WHEN: Monday, November 20, 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Registration at 4 p.m.

WHERE: Nets Practice Facility, 390 Murray Hill Parkway, East Rutherford

ok, so we don't start him...

but lets say its 24-3 @ halftime...

does Brady play the 3rd Q? 4th?

A month ago BB was praising him effusely to Dan Deirdorf in their pre game meetings. Told him they planned to get him much more involved in the return game too, maybe as early as that game. Never materialized.

Getting open is a pretty hollow accomplishment if you don't make the reception. Bethel used to get open.

NO HE COULDN'T. Not consistently, and Brady therefore never trusted him. This "Bethel had bad hands" angle has been trotted out for years now and it's really off-the-mark, IMO. I don't recall a whole bunch of drops from him - I remember not being on the field much and not running routes very well.

ok, so we don't start him...

but lets say its 24-3 @ halftime...

does Brady play the 3rd Q? 4th?
Belichick, etc. have been pretty reluctant to pull Brady until late in the game even with a big lead. Old rule of thumb for a "safe game": lead of 4 TDs, 4 extra points and then some, guess that makes 29 points minimum, anytime in the fourth quarter. Still, Brady has played with that big of a lead late in the fourth quarter. I wonder if Belichick was burned once, maybe with Cleveland, lifting his starting QB and then the team blowing a big lead.

Topic starter of the day! :rocker:

Way to fire up the crowd for a trap game, nicely done Mr. Nasty!

No way we're gonna risk an upset. The division is not as close as most of you think. The Jets are only two games behind us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back