PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crazy Play In Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's good -- it should be reviewable.

Of course Cleveland will win, though. Whenever there's controversy like that, the thing that promotes, not avoids, the controversy often happens.

It looked as though they were discussing the play on the field even before there was any notion of review. Clearly someone had a question -- Maybe Morelli even.

The idiot announcers kept saying that it was no good because it bounced back on the field.

The idiot announcers kept saying that it was no good because it bounced back on the field.

Yah, it was funny. Because I was thinking "if it crosses the plane" I.E. for the goaline; then why isn't it any good when crossing the plane of the crossbar... it the same damn thing no?

Idiot being the key word, they couldn't even tell us the rule themselves. Just kept harping on how it bounced out, which had nothing do with the actual rule.

Cleveland WINS. :singing:

I really want to see this!

i am very happy for Romeo

I hate that rule. It's consistent with a TD just crossing the plane but if you try a FG and the ball ends up in front of the goalpost it shouldn't be good IMO. A worse rule than the tuck rule - but a rule nonetheless.

Idiot being the key word, they couldn't even tell us the rule themselves. Just kept harping on how it bounced out, which had nothing do with the actual rule.

Maybe. I was in a region (west) where they were discussing it from the studio realtime (couldn't air the game because of NFL rules but didn't have another game to show) and Sims Cowher and Marino were right on the ruling. The idiot refs under the goalposts missed the call during the play- they were watching it from 4 feet away each.

I hate that rule. It's consistent with a TD just crossing the plane but if you try a FG and the ball ends up in front of the goalpost it shouldn't be good IMO. A worse rule than the tuck rule - but a rule nonetheless.

The only way this can happen is when it hits the support or the camera that sometimes sits on top of the support.

Why should a kicker get punished for drilling the ball exactly down the middle? If the ball goes 6 inches left or right of center it's a FG, but you want it not to count if it goes right down the middle and hits the support? That's not football. That's miniature golf, IMHO.

The only way this can happen is when it hits the support or the camera that sometimes sits on top of the support.

Which is why I hate the camera sitting there. After today and as I posted a loong time ago, it is just a matter of time before a FG or XP hits one of those cameras and bounces back......

You guys are probably right but they need to re-do something. The logic on this is worse than the tuck rule logic.

Couldn't happen to a better Ray Lewis.

Which is why I hate the camera sitting there. After today and as I posted a loong time ago, it is just a matter of time before a FG or XP hits one of those cameras and bounces back......

Actually, this happens now and again.

But this one is easy. They always be certain to put the camera more than 11 inches (the length of the ball) behind the back plane of the field goal. That means that if any part of the ball touches any part of the camera it must be a good field goal.

They could avoid the other problem by having the support go straight up from underneath the crossbar. But then players would run into it. To avoid injury and to keep the support from interfering with pass plays, you need a curved support. So really it's a necessary situation. What might help is if they paint an orange line on the support where it meets the cross bar.

I really can't believe the refs had a problem with this or that it's so controversial. I don't find anything the least bit difficult about this call. It bounced off the back bar which is past the area you have to clear. What's so difficult about that?

Honestly, I think the officiating this year has been dreadful. I think this might be, collectively, some of the worst officiating in the last 20 years.

Mike Pierera needs to clean house.

I really can't believe the refs had a problem with this or that it's so controversial. I don't find anything the least bit difficult about this call. It bounced off the back bar which is past the area you have to clear. What's so difficult about that?

Honestly, I think the officiating this year has been dreadful. I think this might be, collectively, some of the worst officiating in the last 20 years.

Mike Pierera needs to clean house.

Considering some of the calls that Pierera has excused, the housecleaning should start with him.

You have to go with Cleveland over the Ravens EVERY TIME...

Think of how such a BS organization the Ravens are.

Think of the Pats current coach.

Duh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots