Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicilian

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm working on Memorial Day, and the office is slow so I thought I'd try something. Let's see who can come up with the craziest defensive formation, but actually find a way to make it work... or at least sound like it could work ;)

Here's my idea:

The 5-3 Defense

Key components: An elite safety with tremendous speed, agility, and instincts, as well as two CBs strong in one on one coverage.

How it works: 5 down linemen, with three DT over the center and guards of the offense. Two DE are set out wide, shading to the outside of the OT.

Three DTs two gap, while the DEs rush. Three linebackers are there to shoot the gaps or cover underneath. CBs play man, while the safety plays the deep middle, shading at the beginning of the play towards whatever side of the field has more eligible receivers lined up.

The theory would be, get to the QB before the WR can get deep enough to require two deep safeties. The safety would really be the key here, as he would need to be able to cover A LOT of ground in a pinch.

Might also be vulnerable to runs between the OG and OT, if the DE are spaced too far outside.

Thoughts? Anyone have any ideas of their own for creative defenses?

Ok, so I'm working on Memorial Day, and the office is slow so I thought I'd try something. Let's see who can come up with the craziest defensive formation, but actually find a way to make it work... or at least sound like it could work ;)

Here's my idea:

The 5-3 Defense

Key components: An elite safety with tremendous speed, agility, and instincts, as well as two CBs strong in one on one coverage.

How it works: 5 down linemen, with three DT over the center and guards of the offense. Two DE are set out wide, shading to the outside of the OT.

Three DTs two gap, while the DEs rush. Three linebackers are there to shoot the gaps or cover underneath. CBs play man, while the safety plays the deep middle, shading at the beginning of the play towards whatever side of the field has more eligible receivers lined up.

The theory would be, get to the QB before the WR can get deep enough to require two deep safeties. The safety would really be the key here, as he would need to be able to cover A LOT of ground in a pinch.

Might also be vulnerable to runs between the OG and OT, if the DE are spaced too far outside.

Didn't Arizona try something like this when they had Eric Swann in the early to mid 90s?

That 3rd DT doesn't really help a pass rush at all though.

Anyone have any ideas of their own for creative defenses?

The 5-3 is run at every level from Youth up to the NFL. It is the core of the 3-5 Stack defense used at West Virginia.

Randy Moss's eyes would bug out if anyone tried that defense when he was on the field.

The 5-3 is run at every level from Youth up to the NFL. It is the core of the 3-5 Stack defense used at West Virginia.

Alright, so my quick idea isn't that crazy. Still interested in anything other people come up with, just trying to stir something up.

As for the third DT not being too useful in pass rush, my theory would be if the gaps are controlled by them, it frees up the DEs and LBs to put the pressure on.

In reality, it probably has no benefit that a 3-4 with two big, rushing OLBs would also have, but it was just an example to get the ball rolling. I'm clearly not a football coach :D

The 5-3 is a brutal run defense in HS but it is weak in the Flat area and cannot match up against Spread type sets.

There really is no "new wacky defense"...the general rule is that if you come up with it, someone else did too, and maybe 30 years ago.

Alright, so my quick idea isn't that crazy. Still interested in anything other people come up with, just trying to stir something up.

As for the third DT not being too useful in pass rush, my theory would be if the gaps are controlled by them, it frees up the DEs and LBs to put the pressure on.

In reality, it probably has no benefit that a 3-4 with two big, rushing OLBs would also have, but it was just an example to get the ball rolling. I'm clearly not a football coach :D

The 5-3 isn't a 2 Gap defense, it is an 8 man pressure front. You can 2 Gap the nose however. The DT's are slanting quicker types.

There really is no "new wacky defense"...the general rule is that if you come up with it, someone else did too, and maybe 30 years ago.

I agree that's likely. But that's no reason to try to stop innovating. IMO, one of the things that makes Belichick successful is he's always willing to listen to ideas from his coordinators, new ways to look at things, etc.

I'm willing to bet that BB knows more about football than his entire staff combined, but he maintains an open mind for that tiny chance that someone's going to come up with something unique, even if it's only a tiny thing.

Now, that being said, clearly my idea ISN'T one of those things, but maybe someone else's is... who knows?

I agree that's likely. But that's no reason to try to stop innovating. IMO, one of the things that makes Belichick successful is he's always willing to listen to ideas from his coordinators, new ways to look at things, etc.

I'm willing to bet that BB knows more about football than his entire staff combined, but he maintains an open mind for that tiny chance that someone's going to come up with something unique, even if it's only a tiny thing.

Now, that being said, clearly my idea ISN'T one of those things, but maybe someone else's is... who knows?

Belichick is the consummate football historian. I guarantee that if you tried to credit him with some of his "innovations", he would laugh and tell you how the Colts did it when he first got into the league etc...

The relaxing of the pass rules has allowed for some pretty neat passing stuff and therefore advances in pass defense...but the fronts are pretty much variations of what we've seen for decades.

4-3 with the linemen off a few yards. sure you give up that cushion on the run, but i'd imagine it'd throw their offensive line out of rhythm in a run situation, and could have extra pass defenders to confuse the rex grossmans of the league.

Sorry Sicilian ,I dont have any crazy D formations,not smart enough,but I like the post and the discussion it generates,I learn from them,good idea...

I'd imagine that you'd have to disguise it to the point that it would be just another 4-3 blitz. If you actually lined up in a 5-3 they could quickly audible to a run or a screen pass.

5-2
4-4
5 - 4
6 -2
etc. are not new defenses. As TripleOption said, they are used in high school were running is more likely. They are also defenses that have been used since the 20's when there wasn't much passing. I've played all of them and each one of them at one time or another. I can tell you that my father played in a 5 -3 back in 1938 and it wasn't new then.

Last edited:
how about the walk off the field defense we used in the super bowl? yeah it was bitter seeing us get off the field, but it was a great defense against reporters.

Here's my idea:

The 5-3 Defense

I'm not 100% sure, but the Browns in the '50s used a 5 man front on defense. If it was a 5-3 or 5-2 I don't remember. if memory serves they lined up opposite the OL.

Might be good for a one game shock value. Then next week use a 3-3-5 Eagle.:) Could the schedule be easy enough for this crap?

Last edited:
I've seen teams in a 5-3 front in the last few years.

I've seen teams in a 5-3 front in the last few years.

Cinci (I think) played a 5 - 3 against us last year when a couple of linebackers or dbs went down. They didn't have enough linebackers/dbs active and I think they played the 3rd and 4th quarters in a 5 - 3 because they had more down linemen.

Last edited:
3 and 4 wide reciever sets and the spread would destroy this. Sorry but there is nothing anyone here can come up with that has not been considered. Getting the right players to make the best decisions is what makes a good defense.

Last edited:
I will say this though. A 5 - 3 defense is a lot of fun to play if you're the middle linebacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back