PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Craziest offseason ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sieglo

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I think as Pats fans we're used to one or two fairly big surprises, but this offseason has been completely unpredictable. And there are still two weeks left to go! Does any other historical offseason even come close in terms of general craziness?

I think as Pats fans we're used to one or two fairly big surprises, but this offseason has been completely unpredictable. And there are still two weeks left to go! Does any other historical offseason even come close in terms of general craziness?

2 weeks!!!! season starts in 3 days

Isn't it awesome! Damn this is fun :)

It's obviously not over yet. Fun ride. Can't wait to see how the regular season plays out.

There is a week left before Game One. B ut there may be an addition of a veteran or two between Game One and Game Two. Veterans signed after Game One are not guaranteed a full season of pay and are compensated week by week.

It is totally awesome trying to keep up as the Pats add to and subtract from the roster. We should end up with something special.

This IS crazy. I thought for sure Lewis was secure... not that he was the second coming of RFM, but still...

Wild indeed. Let's hope the games are as thrilling (with good NE outcomes, of course).

I think this has been probably the craziest offseason any team ever had.....Every time I refresh, I'm scared I may see 'Patriots trade Tom Brady to Oakland for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 first round!' I think BB proved his point, 'nobody is untouchable'

In terms of this being a "crazy" season, I'd like to learn more about what exactly was the relationship between Belichick and Pioli.

My immediate understanding is that the duties of general manager were split between those two althought BB did always have the final say.

I wonder if, in light of what has happened the past few weeks, Pioli had acted as a brake to some of BB's roster manipulation, in terms of not cutting mistakes loose so soon, or giving more time to acquired players that hadn't blossomed or were taking more time than usual?

This isn't the craziest. 2005 was worse. Bruschi stroke. Phifer retires. Ted Johnson retiring the first day of camp. Law is cut. Seymour held out and returned. Harrison said he wasn't happy with his contract either. Stuck with Chad Brown and Monty Beisel inside. The Pats had a momunmental Super Bowl hangover that year.

Then there was 2006. Chad Jackson gets injured. Deion holds out, the Pats allow him to seek a contract elsewhere and he gets one, and is eventually traded. The Pats file tampering charges with the league. The Pats trade for a WR with Oakland, but it is Doug Gabriel. Brady isn't happy.

Scott Pioli leaves to become general manager of Chiefs.
Josh McDaniels leaves to become head coach of Broncos.
Rodney Harrison retires, joins NBC Sports.
Mike Cassel + Mike Vrabel traded for 2009 second round draft pick.
Ellis Hobbs traded to Eagles for two 2010 draft picks.
2008 third round draft pick Kevin O'Connell cut.
Tedy Bruschi retires after 3rd preseason game, joins ESPN.
Richard Seymour traded for 2011 Raiders first round draft pick.
Alex Smith (acquired by trading 2010 draft pick) cut.
Greg Lewis (acquired by trading 2010 draft pick) cut.

In terms of this being a "crazy" season, I'd like to learn more about what exactly was the relationship between Belichick and Pioli.

My immediate understanding is that the duties of general manager were split between those two althought BB did always have the final say.

I wonder if, in light of what has happened the past few weeks, Pioli had acted as a brake to some of BB's roster manipulation, in terms of not cutting mistakes loose so soon, or giving more time to acquired players that hadn't blossomed or were taking more time than usual?

Or maybe Pioli forced Belichick to stick with players he already knew were not going to make it and wasted roster spots for them. Maybe if the Pats didn't have Pioli, the experiments with Beisel, JJ Stokes, and others wouldn't last so long.

It isn't like Belichick hasn't had quick hooks on players they have acquired before even with Pioli here. Fernado Bryant got the quick hook. So did Doug Gabriel (since he was acquired about a week before the season). Daid Terrell was another.

High draft picks have had very short careers here in the past too with Pioli on the staff. Brock Williams (3rd round in 2001) lasted one year here. Jabari Holloway (4th round in 2001) lasted one year here. Guss Scott (3rd round in 2004) spent two years here and one on IR. Dexter Reid (4th round in 2004) spent one year here. Garrett Mills (4th round in 2006) spent one year here. Kareem Brown (4th round in 2007) spent less than a year here.

will there was a lot of trade's and cut's and great player's calling it a end

but its still the same as last year so far

they still dont have the LB to play the 3-4

they still dont have any great DB

i just hope the season stars and end's better then last year

Last edited:
Like I said in one of the predict the roster threads ...

I really find that to be a very inane idea ... I think Bill likes it that way.

Next year ... may I recommend the thread "Predict the 100 who may pass through" ?

It's Mr. Kraft's fault - he's reserved a block of rooms at that hotel and Bill is taking advantage of it.

Last edited:

Romeo Crennel leaves
Charlie Weis leaves
Jeff Davidson (o-line and TE coach) follows Crennel to Cleveland
Markus Paul (assistant strength and conditioning coach) leaves with Crennel
And so does Cory Undlin (DB coaching assistant)
Andy Wasynczuk leaves the front office for a job at Harvard
The scouting dept. loses Lionel Vital (Asst. Director of College Scouting) and Keith Kidd (Asst. Director of Pro Scouting)
Bruschi has a stroke
Ty Law cut
Roman Phifer retires
Ted Johnson retires on the first day
Joe Andruzzi signs with the Browns after the Pats informed him that his services were no longer needed sending Andruzzi's brother on a tiraide in the local media
Keith Traylor was released. So was Adrian Klemm
David Patten leaves for Washington
Seymour stages a quite hold out
Harrison tells the media he is not happy with his contract, but would honor it
The Pats trade a fifth rounder for Andre Davis (WR) and then cut him (although they later sign him in the season)

Again, 2005 was crazier.

You left out two of the craziest events in 2005
patriots sign STer Monty Beisel and expect him to start at ILB
patriots sign the ancient OLB Chad Brown and expect him to start at ILB

Romeo Crennel leaves
Charlie Weis leaves
Jeff Davidson (o-line and TE coach) follows Crennel to Cleveland
Markus Paul (assistant strength and conditioning coach) leaves with Crennel
And so does Cory Undlin (DB coaching assistant)
Andy Wasynczuk leaves the front office for a job at Harvard
The scouting dept. loses Lionel Vital (Asst. Director of College Scouting) and Keith Kidd (Asst. Director of Pro Scouting)
Bruschi has a stroke
Ty Law cut
Roman Phifer retires
Ted Johnson retires on the first day
Joe Andruzzi signs with the Browns after the Pats informed him that his services were no longer needed sending Andruzzi's brother on a tiraide in the local media
Keith Traylor was released. So was Adrian Klemm
David Patten leaves for Washington
Seymour stages a quite hold out
Harrison tells the media he is not happy with his contract, but would honor it
The Pats trade a fifth rounder for Andre Davis (WR) and then cut him (although they later sign him in the season)

Again, 2005 was crazier.

Lots of Defensive talent gone. Can't say it makes me sad knowing that anyone playing the Patriots last year in a 3rd and 18 would most likely make a first down. I hope the regular season will be as exciting as the off season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes