Welcome to PatsFans.com

Crash Testing: MINI Cooper vs Ford F150

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, May 4, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

2. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

:eek: Holy Sh!t !

That's a shock...really.
  3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

yeah i wonder who paid for that study
  4. MrSparkle

MrSparkle Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The F-150 weighs much more then the Mini Cooper. More potential energy imparted into the trucks crumple zone.

It is kind of shocking to see it demonstrated like this. No one thinks that a Mini would be safer then a large truck hitting a stationary object. I'd like to see the result of the two hitting each other at 20 mph (40 mph combined). I don't think the mini would fair as well in this test.
  5. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

Ditto on that crash test, tho I wouldn't be surprised if the Mini came out better. Germany engineering still rules.
  6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

What about an F-150 hitting a GMC Denali? Or a 1982 F-150?
  7. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

I had one of those old F-150's, with an extended cab. I was driving in stop and go traffic on an expressway. On one of the stops the Honda behind me didn't. The left side of my bumper got pushed in a tad. I blew off the insurance company, wasn't even worth getting fixed. The Honda was crushed pretty good. Saw a baby seat in the Honda and told the guy at least it was empty, trying to make the guy feel better.
  8. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Thats one of the reasons I bought one last year. '07 mini S. Its also increadble in the snow.Sometimes I thought I was driving a four wheel drive. And fast as he!!.
    All you have to do to see how well they are made,and why it performs in the crash test the way it does is close the door on one. It closes with a thud,like its very heavy not tinny sounding like a lot of other cars.
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  9. smokin3000gt

smokin3000gt Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hey man, whatever makes you feel better about buying a mini. :D
  10. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I like small ugly cars. ;)
  11. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Whats next comparing a high end bmw m series to a 1955 chevy?

We are talking about something that weighs close to 5,000 lbs vs something that barley tips the scales past 1,000 pounds, not to mention a full boxed steel frame so you can do things like towing vs. a uni frame that is made to crumple and absorb most of the impact. Like others have said here, lets compare a 20mph head on between that f-150 and that little roller skate and what happens when it's not stationary object being hit.
  12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I think I'd get killed getting in or out of a mini. No way I'd fit in one. They should make a "Not-So-Mini".
    Last edited: May 5, 2008
  13. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I think if I can get in one so can't you. I couldn't get into an MG Midget anymore. The MC has more head room than a Jaguar XJ.
  14. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I got rear ended in a 1986 F-150 on Route 1 Saugus, by a Mercedez, back when I was a senior in high school. I did the same thing, blew off the insurance company, cuz there was nothing wrong with my truck. The bumper was steal, so no paint to scratch. The Benz was demolished.
  15. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

you would get killed getting out of it. pulling up to a party at your friends house for the first time would summarily lead to you being laughed to death. horrible way to go. imhop.
  16. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#15 Jersey

The bottom line still is that the F-150 crumpled like an accordion, while the mini-cooper came away far less serious. Are you telling me after looking at that 5000 lb truck that you feel safer at a higher rate of speed or want to go head on with anything. Sounds more like your a truck owner and pissed off about it.
  17. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well, the force involved in the 2 crashes is totally different. Effectively this test measures the effect of your car being hit on an offset in the front by a car of the same weight. Thus, the Ford experienced a crash with 3 to 5 times as much force as the mini did. Simulate the mini crashing into a 5000 lb vehicle and it might look just as bad as the Ford did. The crash was less serious for the mini because it was a much less forceful impact.

The lesson here is clear, if you are driving a large truck, you make sure to drive straight into the other car, don't let him hit you on an offset!