Welcome to PatsFans.com

Craigslist sperm donor's forced to pay $6,000 child support to lesbian couple

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

When I first saw this story I thought having the sperm donor pay was wrong. As I read the story, I started to ask myself why he shouldn't pay, if taxpayers had to. Of course, then came the question of why anyone should pay for people like these two, who want a kid, but can't afford one. This is a pregancy of want and desire. One of explicit choice, without the means to support it. Sort of like you or I wanting a big screen TV, not having the money, and asking everyone else to buy it for us.

There are so many different opinions to this story, or implications for society moving forward. Should donors be liable? Should sperm banks? Should people be allowed to have children via an annonymous sperm donor, if they can't afford one? Should there be a screening process, if there isn't one? I've never really considered the depths of the issue, but as modern society moves along, I'm guessing we'll see more and more situations like this. Thoughts?

Craigslist sperm donor's anger as he is forced to pay $6,000 child support to lesbian couple he fathered child for - despite having NO parental rights

[​IMG]
    Angela Bauer, 40, and partner Jennifer Schreiner, 34, placed ad in 2009

[​IMG]
    Donor William Marotta relinquished financial responsibility for child. Kansas state ordered Mr Marotta to pay after lesbian couple applied
    for welfare

By Louise Boyle

PUBLISHED:09:17 EST, 3 January 2013| UPDATED: 09:41 EST, 3 January 2013

A sperm donor said today that he would not have donated to a lesbian couple had he known the huge financial responsibility that has now fallen to him.

William Marotta fathered a child with Angela Bauer, 40, and partner Jennifer Schreiner, 34, who found him via Craigslist three years ago.

The three signed a legal document which stated Mr Marotta, a married mechanic who fosters children with his wife, would have no rights to the child.

However now the state of Kansas is demanding Mr Marotta pay $6,000 in child support after the lesbian couple were forced onto welfare when Ms Bauer lost her job.

Read more: Sperm donor ordered to pay child support to lesbian couple despite him giving up rights to the child | Mail Online
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Ill health caused one of the parents to leave work. I don't think they started out unable to afford the child. That they are lesbian parents is irrelevant, I don't know why the headline needs to point that out. They are also supporting the donor in getting this decision overturned. I agree that proper screening should be done prior...sort of. It's kind of like an adoption but it's also kind of not. I mean parents that can conceive and don't need a donor don't have to be screened to have a child. In this case it smells like the courts are trying to pawn off the financial burden from the state back to the sperm donor on a technicality. There was an agreement signed beforehand.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,025 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

If they had all done it according to state law he would be off the hook ... seems like a nice guy and they seem like nice people also. He and his wife have a foster daughter ... hope it all works out but the guy has limited means to fight it legally.
  4. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,078 / 6 / -24

#61 Jersey

Lesbian couples should not "create" children. Period. It's ridiculous regardless of circumstances. Everyone involved with this sorry case should be penalized.
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

I think one of the reasons why lesbian is in the title, is probably because same sex parenting by this means, is either becoming more common, or at least more publically accepted. I don't think it's something that was all that common, or in the news, 10 or 20+ years ago. Maybe anyway.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

Why not though? If a woman wants to have a child, why should her sexual preference prohibit her from choosing to have one?
  7. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,078 / 6 / -24

#61 Jersey

Because her sexual preference doesn't physically enable it to happen. Call me "old-fashioned" in this regard, but I don't think single hetero women should have kids either. People in these situations have children for the wrong reason -- selfish personal gratification. Concern for the child's general welfare and upbringing is secondary, and shouldn't be.

I once knew a lesbian couple that did this and had a son. They later "divorced," and the boy shuttled back and forth between his two spiteful mothers who shared custody. At 8 years old he was a mess. The boy needed a FATHER, from which he was precluded at conception.
  8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,025 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

My neighbors across the street are a white lesbian couple and they adopt African-American kids ... wonderful parents both of them.
  9. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

There is no reason why a lesbian couple cannot choose to conceive a child, foster parent or adopt a child..

A wanted child does much better than an unwanted one, a loved child does much better than an unloved one...

Aside from anecdotal evidence there is no reason for them not to..
  10. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Wow, I think this situation is a mess.

The guy was being nice by giving them a child the wanted so badly, now, because of a bad situation you want to "include" this guy in the child's life?

For some reason, I don't think thats right. You took on the child all by yourself, now take care of this child, all by yourself. This is what grown-ups do, they find ways to support themselves and their families in times such as these, not go cry fopr help and money.

Sorry to sound so bitter but for some reason this erks me the wrong way.
  11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Holy crap, those 2 are really ugly looking.
  12. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +99 / 7 / -14

#37 Jersey

Tongues and anuses can't make babies.

These gays want it both ways, they want you to accept being gay as "natural". Well, gays can't "naturally" have kids.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Gay people can most certainly "naturally" have children.....all they have to do is have sex with a member of the opposite sex....which, while not optimium or satisfactory for them, is certainly "naturally" possible.

What they can't do is have children with one another (same sex partner). This does not, however, mean that the can't have children naturally.

Many heterosexual couples use sperm donors due to a husband's inability to father a child. Or they use donor eggs due to a woman's inability to release her own.

If it's "unnatural" for a lesbian couple to conceive a child through artificial insemination then it is equally "unnatural" for a heterosexual couple to conceive one the same way.

Do you object to that, too?
  14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

You are entirely correct. Child support wasn't something that the women had asked for - and they ARE, indeed, fighting the state's decision to demand it.

Much like any heterosexual couple where one person loses their job they were forced to apply for welfare benefits....this has zero to do with the fact that they are lesbians.

They didn't get pregnant being unable to afford a child - much like hundreds of thousands of heterosexual parents they became unable to afford the child long after the child was planned for and conceived.

It happens. Not just to lesbian couples, either.

But it sells more papers when the story gets to bring up sexual preference as if it mattered.
  15. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I's not the couple (or former couple in this case) making him pay, it's the state. Because the mother applied for and received state assistance, they went after the biological father. They are on his side. From the article:

I think he will win on appeal as this would set an unbelievable precedent, as Marotta's attorney argued:

It's also unfortunate that the "committed" couple are no longer together. Ms. Schreiner is now in a relationship with a man. God help that kid being raised by a self-centered mother.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There are plenty of straight "sperm donors" who and leave their temporary straight mates and ignore their straight children. There are also plenty of straight mothers who dump their sperm donors for a myriad of foolish and selfish reasons, who then go on assistance and whose kids suffer.

It has less to do with "the gay" than people making poor choices and the state trying to screw some guy who should have nothing to do with this. I'm sure there are plenty of stories that go un-noticed that involve some guy having to pay for eggs he fertilized with some woman and neither are gay. This is not a story if it is a straight couple...or is it?
  17. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

That's messed up.:cool:
  18. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +372 / 3 / -15

Confused much? I do not believe anything is acceptable in the realm of sexual relations. I don't believe in bi-sexuality. Make up your mind...are you straight or gay?

Pretty simple concept really....
  19. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL... I heard this story on NPR last week, and for a moment, thought of Real World (among others who blow a gasket on issues like this) and how outraged he'd be about it.

Sure enough, he's the one to create the thread.

:cool:

Ah well. Morally, it's not right. But dude should have used a doctor to complete the process, and he'd be off the hook. Don't give away your sperm for money unless you understand how the law works, as flawed as it might be.
  20. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

LOL!!!!!.... this viewpoint is axiomatic of so much, and explains everything in its simplicity about you guys.

Black or white, nothing ever in between... Otherwise, it just doesn't compute.

:rolleyes: