Welcome to PatsFans.com

Craig's List to drop sex ads

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Fogbuster, May 14, 2009.

1. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Oh, sure, "it won't stop illicit sex"..... "it won't do any good"......."it won't help"..... whatever.

In any case, Craig's list apparently got an earful from enough people. Legalized on-line sex advertising is wrong, it sends ABSOLUTELY the wrong message to young (and older) people, and it needs to disappear.

[size=+3]Craigslist to drop "erotic services" ads[/size]

Wed May 13, 2009 6:18pm EDT

By Jason Szep

BOSTON (Reuters) - Online classified site Craigslist will replace its "erotic services" ads with a new adult category following pressure by state authorities after the murder of a masseuse who advertised on the site.

The "erotic services" section will end within seven days and be replaced by an "adult services" category where advertisements will be individually screened by Craigslist staff, Craigslist said in a statement on Wednesday.

The measures could set a precedent for similar sites, said Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal, who led a 40-state task-force on Craigslist and campaigned publicly for tighter controls on the San Francisco-based service.

"Closing the erotic services section, a blatant Internet brothel, should lead to other blocking and screening measures, and set a model for other sites, if Craigslist keeps its word," he said.

Craigslist to drop erotic services ads | Technology | Reuters

//
  2. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Didn't really do anything that they aren't already doing now, except at a new higher price.

Moderation won't stop the borderline brothel/call girl/massage activities, they will just be more eloquent with their wording to hide what ad really is for...
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

A small step is better than no step. Day by day, the journey will be made.

//
  4. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Why the hell do consenting adults have to model their behavior around what "message" everything they do will be sending to YOUR children? If you don't want your children to be exposed to it, don't let them wander around the internet unsupervised. And what exactly is this "message" that's supposedly going to be sent to kids, that adults have sex with each other? Wow, that's really gonna burst their bubble. Better to fill their heads with mindless christian crap so that they feel guilty about everything they do for the rest of their lives for no good reason than to let other people actually be free in a society that loves to constantly brag about how "free" it is.

Why can't these religious nutbars just mind their goddamn business and keep their children to themselves? I'm so sure the lunatic who killed those girls wouldn't have done so if craigslist's hookup section was titled "adult" instead of "erotic services." Gotta love the triumph of stupidity over common sense here.
  5. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

umm...that isn't what their beef was about. It was about the site being used as a brothel and call girl agency.

Last I checked prostitution was still illegal everywhere but a couple of ranches in Nevada and partly in Rhode Island.
  6. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Did you read the post you responded to or no?
  7. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I did, and it had nothing to do with either the Craigslist situation or their changes due to the controversy. It was just one long rant about the religious right again :rolleyes:
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Maybe you should read Fog's comments, since that's what I was talking about. I thought that was pretty obvious but I guess I was wrong:rolleyes:
  9. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

And that wasn't what the situation was about, both of you were wrong on it. It was about prostitution and other activities that aren't legal in any of the states that were going to sue Craigslist.
  10. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

First of all, my comments still pertain to the attitude behind keeping prostitution illegal. Second of all, I was responding to what Fog said, not the article itself, not sure how much clearer I can make that.
  11. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BS. Not one bit in there about anything having to do with legality of prostitution. It's one long attack against religion, morality, protection of children.

Did you even read the article or did you go right to ranting against his opinions?
  12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

This happened before Craigslist and will happen after, there are always new and creative ways to purchase sex...
  13. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

First Craigslist, next Myspace and Facebook, then wherever else they go.
  14. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Bottom line for me: it's morally wrong, it DOES injure all parties involved -- no such a thing as a "victimless crime" when love is cheapened to a bought-sold commodity -- and it IS illegal to promote/enable prostitution, which Craigslist has been doing. If Craigslist does not want to voluntarily clean itself up, it needs to be closed down. Permanently. End of story.

//
  15. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Thus spaketh our favorite zealot ex patriot.. prostitution is illegal, but these attempts will not stop it..
  16. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It won't stop the river but it will slow it down and/or divert it. It also sets precedent against websites being used to circumvent state or federal laws.
  17. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

They aren't forcing the women and men to prostitute themselves on there. They aren't forcing women and men to give out those massages. They aren't forcing women and men to strip.

It's the choice of the men and women who are posting the ads. They are in the wrong for providing the place to arrange the meetings in violation of the laws of the states, they have no hand in the moral choices of the men and women.
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

It will only prove to be a diversion, these folks are pretty creative... not sure it sets a precedent, just targets Craigslist specifically and is a direct reaction to the "Craigslist Murders"....
  19. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +346 / 6 / -8

Zzzz.

Good show, sports. A victory for our society! Blah blah blah.

So now, evidently, they'll moderate "adult services," and do what?

The problem was that a prospective "john" was killing cybersluts, right? I mean, I didn't even really follow this story, but I believe that's where the adult services came in.

So you're looking to get rid of murderers, not prostitutes.

The thing is, the guy didn't put up an ad saying, "If you want to have sex with me for money, I want to kill you. Holla back!"

So how does this in any way cure the problem?

As to the twits who think the problem is that there are prostitutes running around (rather than murderers...)

I can go to a local massage parlor. It would not be called a brothel, whorehouse, a house of prostitution or anything of the sort. I can negotiate a price for a message. I can make sure my intentions are understood, as I understand it, by saying the magical phrase, "happy ending?" Yet the establishment is hard to shut down because it has a cover story.

I can go to the local strip joint strictly for a good eyeful of what modern surgery can create (and a couple of natural beauties too, I'm sure,) and end up with a "date" by talking in code about promised rewards while tipping generously.

I can go to a young republicans meeting and scope out the local hottie looking for her Mrs. degree, and get my unit hoovered with a piece of jewelry that suggests in her mind a long-term financial arrangement. If I am sufficiently well-off, I can make clear that this long-term financial arrangement is unlikely to occur, either by making up a speech or just by disappearing.

In other words, what else is new?

There will be a "new adult services" section. If you are looking for a specific arrangement and both parties are drawn to said arrangement, the tools for communication are still there, but the marketplace simple exists in parallel to the "official" Craigslist market, if there is any meaning to the screening process.

So okay fine, they've mollified the fogs of the world. They've done nothing about the anonymous hookups. They've done absolutely nothing to suggest that one is safer in such hookups after the "new and improved" sign goes up.

I don't get what they've done here, and I don't get why they've done it. I don't much care either, frankly.

PFnV
  20. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Markoff was the final straw, states have been itching to sue Craigslist for a long time. It's erotic section has been used for at least three years by cops across the country in sting operations and Connecticut last year tried to get them to clean up that area. Even if the murder and robberies didn't happen they would have had problems from the states.

And regarding other sites, the precedent is about not allowing the willful violation of state laws in allowing the the ads or content to be posted. They aren't the ones making the ads but they are allowing them to break the laws with the ads, and in doing so they become targets of the states.