PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crable

Status
Not open for further replies.
26.5 tackles for loss his senior season. Freakish athlete. I'm just hoping he can stay healthy.

There you go. Pierre Woods has made no impression on you at all. I'd say we're 0 for 2 so far.

I'm still hoping on Crable. Yeah I'm a sucker.

How is Woods a miss? Anytime an UDFA can become a capable backup and ST ace, that's a success by any sane measure.

How is Woods a miss? Anytime an UDFA can become a capable backup and ST ace, that's a success by any sane measure.

True. You got me. I just always assume any Patriot should at some point be an All Pro.

Crable has the talent to be a contributor from what I remember about him, but will he ever be able to stay on the field?

Even if Bill doesn't feel great about him now I think he will give him one more chance in training camp like he did with Chad Jackson before cutting him.

It just seems too familiar. Promising rookie, can't shake the injuries two years in a row, high hopes from fans based on raw talent, cut in training camp. I could very well see that happening with Crable. However, I could also see Crable making this team and having an impact on special teams and being worked in at OLB. I'm still pretty high on him, shockingly :p

EDIT: I also believe last week Felger said it wasn't only injuries with Crable. Said something about his attitude not being right or something and the Pats don't like his work ethic or something. Does anyone else remember him saying something like that?
That's strange. Belichick mentioned Shawn Crable by name as one of the players who had worked extremely hard last offseason. Perhaps he had some problems as a rookie.

I would have to say you might not love the way the Pats draft but you have to admit they don't generally let their mistakes hang on the roster too long just to try to save face, see Jackson, Chad, O'conell, Kevin, Klemm, Adrian, etc. etc. etc. Anyway the fact that Crable managed to hang around this long means they must see at least SOME promise otherwise I don't think he gets IR'ed last year.

I'll feel a whole lot better about Crable if he wins that parking space this year.

Looks

I see it like this...

He looks like he could mature into a player

Build a bigger body/muscle on the frame

Learn the elephant while he sits on the side

Pray tey can unleash him this year or

Experiment is over!!!!!!!!

Crable=Willie McGinest wanna be

Re: Looks

Once a chicken leg type player, always a chicken leg type player.

Why?

I respect your football knowledge, but not your understanding of proper physical training. Anyone can gain muscle mass in any area through correct training. Further, mass =/= greater strength. Sometimes long, lean muscle is actually stronger and more explosive. I don't worry about Crable's legs, really, or his lower body power. He just needs to improve his technique.

In fact, my concern is more about the Patriots strength and conditioning coaches than anything else; we seem to have a high number of joint injuries, and I question the overall flexibility of the team. I dropped by training camp this year while on a trip to Rhode Island, and I was shocked at how little time they spend stretching. They only held each stretch for 10 - 15 seconds, and no one seemed to know how to get past the stretch reflex and actually improve their flexibility. The S&C coaches are also middle aged, if I recall, and may be operating on outdated training methods. I genuinely worry about the physical health of the team.

As for Crable: he is highly athletic for a man his size, almost to an absurd point. I watched him run step for step with TEs and WRs during training camp, and he has better speed off the edge than TBC or Burgess. The issue seems to be that he has nagging injuries, not to mention difficulty setting the edge. Well, fine. Let him get healthy, play him in nickle sub-packages, and just have him drop into coverage or rush the passer full time until he develops the strength/technique to hold up in the running game.

People have no patience anymore. Most of the big-time playmakers from the 2000s took a few years to develop. That preseason a couple years ago was impressive and encouraging. I don't see why we can't build on it moving forward, while also taking steps to bring in other talent. I don't want to rely on Crable to be a starting OLB, but I certainly don't want to give up on him too soon, either.

Re: Looks

I too was impressed by The Crab as a pass rusher in camp 2 years ago. Very fast and atheletic. This summer determines if he's made of glass and can actually play NFL football. We'll see.

The fact that he's still on the team after all of this means that the coaching staff obviously sees something in him. I don't know why so many people are bashing on him, it's not like he was a reach or a high pick and If we could get something out of him this season it would be great.

One thing I noticed a while back is how when complaining about or LBing corp some people pointed to the Steelers as a team we should emulate in terms of player development. They never gave up on guys like Joey Porter, Larry Foote or James Harrison, and after a few years they broke through and became play-makers for their team.

Now hopefully he doesn't get cut before the pre-season and make me eat my words :rolleyes:

That's strange. Belichick mentioned Shawn Crable by name as one of the players who had worked extremely hard last offseason. Perhaps he had some problems as a rookie.

Maybe Felger was talking about someone else, but I could've sworn it was Crable. Could just be some rumors he's stirring up to make it seem like it's the end of the world for the Pats.

The fact that he's still on the team after all of this means that the coaching staff obviously sees something in him. I don't know why so many people are bashing on him, it's not like he was a reach or a high pick and If we could get something out of him this season it would be great.:

Clearly the coaching staff sees talent and potential in him and I applaud their commitment and patience with the kid, but hes getting bashed because he can't even get on the field. He is made of glass.

One thing I noticed a while back is how when complaining about or LBing corp some people pointed to the Steelers as a team we should emulate in terms of player development. They never gave up on guys like Joey Porter, Larry Foote or James Harrison, and after a few years they broke through and became play-makers for their team.

Now hopefully he doesn't get cut before the pre-season and make me eat my words :rolleyes:

Porter was a 10 sack guy his 2nd season in the league. Foote and Harrison started off-and-on their first few seasons. IE- they showed something in games. You can compare the patience the Pats are showing w/ Crable to the Steelers as it relates to young players. However, you can't compare the players.

Clearly the coaching staff sees talent and potential in him and I applaud their commitment and patience with the kid, but hes getting bashed because he can't even get on the field. He is made of glass.

Porter was a 10 sack guy his 2nd season in the league. Foote and Harrison started off-and-on their first few seasons. IE- they showed something in games. You can compare the patience the Pats are showing w/ Crable to the Steelers as it relates to young players. However, you can't compare the players.

Larry Foote had 18 tackles in his first 2 seasons in the league while James Harrison played the same amount Crable has so far.

I wouldn't count on Shawn Crable, but it might be too early to completely dismiss him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back