PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crable under the microscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Crable's motor and football character are his best qualities. Because of them he has a good chance to become an upper echelon 3-4 OLB, if given time to develop physically.

His production was eye popping: 21 tackles for loss vs the run, 7.5 sacks, 4 FF. Part of that was due to the Michigan scheme, but he set the record for most TFL ever in a season by a Michigan player, which is a significant accomplishment. In fact he had more TFLs his senior year than any BCS Conference DE/OLB prospect in at least 5 years. He was voted captain by his teammates. He is a success story rising from a very bleak background. He seems like a mature young man who doesn't brook fools.

His athleticism is interesting... a legit sprint champion in HS, a relay runner in college. His raw combine numbers reflect that: 6'4 7/8, 245 lbs, 34 5/8" arms, a 4.61 40, 4.55 ss, 7.29 3-cone 31.5 VJ, 29 BP. He looks like a 400 m sprinter who has bulked up his upper body but neglected his spindly legs. Even watching him run the 40, his first 10 yards he seems to be almost running in place due to lack of leg explosion. Once he gets going, he is a gazelle. But he is so top heavy and small in the lower half, that his change of direction seems awkward, like he is running on stilts. This appears to be due to a simple lack of leg strength, which inhibits a smooth change of direction. It's odd he is so powerful, despite his long arms, on the bench, yet so underdeveloped in his legs. His body type is like Jack Lambert's.

One thing about his combine performace: it is pretty clear to me that he did not seriously train for the combine, which seems to be a common problem among Michigan athletes in recent years. For whatever reason that program does not prepare its NFL prospects for the next step. Maybe Carr's priorities were different, which is good and bad. Maybe with the coaching change the current crop got lost in the shuffle. But it seems clear that the UM products often underperform at these combine type events, considering how naturally gifted they are.

To my eyes, Crable looks like he hardly trained for any of the drills, and got by on pure natural athleticism, which he has in spades. There is good and bad in that.

One recent player who Crable resembles athletically is Jarvis Moss. Moss' combine numbers were 6'7'', 250 lbs, 4.70 40, 4.44 ss, a 7.21 3-cone and a 30.5" VJ. Moss was smoother and more coordinated in his movements, more stout at the POA when he wanted to be, and a more natural pass rusher, but does not possess the motor and football character of Crable, which is through the roof.

I'm not sure whether to consider Crable's move to 3-4 OLB a position change, because of the multiple and unusual ways Michigan used him. That seems to have been one of the factors which appealed to BB. But I don't think Crable is accustomed to, or capable of, holding the edge. Definitely not in the NFL, at his current weight, with his stork like legs.

If Crable can maintain his current athleticism, and add 10-15 lbs of power in the lower half, he has a good chance to be an upper echelon 3-4 OLB for the Pats, and a starter before the end of year 3. Because of his outstanding motor and football character I believe he will have a better career, long term, than several more highly touted and NFL ready players in this year's crop.

on the other picks...

Mayo: Captain of the D and cornerstone of the team for years to come.
Wheatley: a legit #2 cb in the NFL.
Crable: A project pick, with huge upside.
O'Connell: personally, my #3 Qb in the draft. Can become a quality starter in the NFL longterm. Has as much physical talent as any Qb in the draft.
Wilhite: IMO a wasted pick and I will be surprised if he makes the team out of camp.
Slater: If he is as good as his senior year suggests at KR, then maybe it was worth it ( 34 kicks, 29 yard avg, 3 TDS). Right now I would have to say no and there were many better late rd options.
Ruud: IMO it would be a miracle if he ever becomes a starter in the NFL. Camp fodder like Lua last year.

Appreciate the insight!

I hope you are wrong about Wilhite but, I don't know a thing about him. I remember getting excited reading the BIO's on Dexter Reid and Gus Scott. It seems to be a crap shoot with these db's...

Thanks again!

Mayo: Captain of the D and cornerstone of the team for years to come.

Pat Willis 2 is here

Wheatley: a legit #2 cb in the NFL.

High upside with his speed, I think #2 right now is hopeful, how about a nickel that will move to a #2 in 09.

Crable: A project pick, with huge upside.

Willie McGinnest in the making, long arms, future elephant spot in the D.

O'Connell: personally, my #3 Qb in the draft. Can become a quality starter in the NFL longterm. Has as much physical talent as any Qb in the draft.

Just watching the clips of this kid, he looks legit, he'll be ready and able to spot fill for TB and eventually receive the torch. Huge 6'6", athletic and a big arm with gumption. He'll even look good on the sideline this season holding the clip board. Bye-bye Matt.

Wilhite: IMO a wasted pick and I will be surprised if he makes the team out of camp.

Couldn't agree more Jack Ikegwuonu on the board and we draft what some boards had as the 29th rated CB. Definate head-scratcher.

Slater: If he is as good as his senior year suggests at KR, then maybe it was worth it ( 34 kicks, 29 yard avg, 3 TDS). Right now I would have to say no and there were many better late rd options.

Kellen Davis, Trae Williams, Jonathan Goff and Marcus Howard on the board and Slater's the pick. OK then.............

Ruud: IMO it would be a miracle if he ever becomes a starter in the NFL. Camp fodder like Lua last year.[/QUOTE]

Ditto

Pony...you have been the go-to guy this draft season. I'm on the same page with Mayo, Wheatley and O'Connell.

I saw a couple of Auburn games this year and to be honest didn't notice Wilhite at all...which could be good or bad for a corner.

I see Slater and Ruud as competing for jobs on special teams, without any real expectation of being in the defensive rotation. That singular focus can be a powerful thing. Adding Aiken and retaining Washington may make special teams spots hotly contested this year.

Kellen Davis, Trae Williams, Jonathan Goff and Marcus Howard on the board and Slater's the pick. OK then.............

Slater was drafted specifically for special teams, not for WR/CB or whatever position he is listed at. If he turns into Steve Tasker, I don't think there will be any complaining.

Appreciate the insight!

I hope you are wrong about Wilhite but, I don't know a thing about him. I remember getting excited reading the BIO's on Dexter Reid and Gus Scott. It seems to be a crap shoot with these db's...

Thanks again!

Guss Scott looked great initially, but he kept getting injured.

Reid was obviously a bad selection.

I thought that the Pats hit homeruns with every one of their round 1-3 picks. The later guys, well if they can contribute to ST, they're probably worth keeping around. Hey, how about Drago as a UDFA? Good pickup! Great draft for the Pats imo! This defense is looking on paper to be even better than last years D.

I can't wait to see Crable and Mayo in the same backfield making life hell for opposing teams. I actually think that Crable may be able to contribute immediately in different packages (given what I saw of him during his Michigan career).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back