PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crable released

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB cut Burgess in camp, why would he bring him back? Why would he want him? Why would he want him more after sitting home 2 months?

If you noticed I put a question mark after it. It just seems strange to cut Crable at this time. It leaves the team with 3 OLBs. Do you think its going to remain like that?

I can see bringing in a defensive back for this game rather than a player in the front seven; I've seen a few people mention this.

However, as far as that type of move goes, isn't that part of why you have a 53-man roster? If that's the reasoning then make Crable a game day inactive and replace him on the 45-man roster with a DB. No need to cut a player because you want one more DB and one less LB for one game when you already have those eight extra roster spots available for that type of maneuvering.

If you noticed I put a question mark after it. It just seems strange to cut Crable at this time. It leaves the team with 3 OLBs. Do you think its going to remain like that?
Its more likely to remain like that than it is to have Burgess signed.
I don't disagree with your thinking, except that no way in the world its Derrick Burgess.

Crable was listed as OLB but he played rush DE on sub packages. I think he's dropped once all year, this last game.

Shot in the dark: Pierre Woods?

Crable was listed as OLB but he played rush DE on sub packages. I think he's dropped once all year, this last game.
But our sub package DEs are the OLBs.
That is half of their job.

Exactly and its why the first name that popped into my head was Burgess.

Shot in the dark: Pierre Woods?
Seems odd too though. What is better about him after sitting idle 2 months than what he was when we cut him?

They looked at some de/olb earlier and Murrell showed some spark and played teams.

Not saying anything there, but i agree that Burgess and Woods aren't going to be anything more than they were before.

Seems odd too though. What is better about him after sitting idle 2 months than what he was when we cut him?

The difference would have to be the guys that we had replacing him (Cunningham, Ninkovich and/or Crable) not performing to the standard that was originally projected. Choices start looking better when their alternatives start looking worse.

Last edited:
The difference would have to be the guys that we had replacing him (Cunningham, Ninkovich and/or Crable) not performing to the standard that was originally projected. Choices start looking better when their alternatives start looking worse.

How could that be possible? From an outsider stand point it seems that Cunningham and Ninkovich have been performing great. My bet is that Crable got hurt again.

Exactly and its why the first name that popped into my head was Burgess.

There's a better chance they sign Adewale Ogunleye. Burgess is not an option in my eyes, for both on the field and off the field issues.

How could that be possible? From an outsider stand point it seems that Cunningham and Ninkovich have been performing great. My bet is that Crable got hurt again.

Why not simply IR him then? Are you saying there was an injury settlement?

Really strange, doesn't feel like he's coming back though.....I would guess it's an issue with him that we don't know about. (behavior???)

Last edited:

Hence the and/or- if any one of them wasn't measuring up, then that might be incentive to double back and take someone that they at least know can fill in at slightly above JAG-caliber.

Doesnt really seem to be the case though, does it?
And its hard to imagine the smart move would be cutting a contributing player to bring a guy off the couch.
I wouldn't dispute that BB may think Woods could come back and help at some level, including special teams, but I would think he would at least get him in and make sure he is in game shape before replacing a guy playing 30 snaps (guessing at what Crable played). At the least I'd think he would cut an inactive.
I think something is up with Crable and this isnt about his play necessarily.

Why not simply IR him then? Are you saying there was an injury settlement?

He was on IR for 2 seasons, then got injured again in training camp. They then gave him one more shot after releasing him. I have a feeling that have long since lost patience.

Very odd that he is cut after playing more this week than ever before, especially when it looked like his extra playing time was due to a new scheme wrinkle.
I havent rewatched the game so this is just from noticing in real time with 1000 things to notice, but we played a lot of 3-4 with nickel type personnel. Crable was playing 34 DE with Guyton at ILB, and Wright on the nose in quite a few cases. It seemed like we wanted the 34 to keep them honest vs the run but really were playing it more like nickel.
I don't remember seeing that before and it seemed like a new concept---using OLBs as 3-4 DEs, accepting that they would struggle vs the run, but getting a better pass rusher in there. Sort of a compromise between 34 and nickle.
I actually thougth we may see more of it this week vs Indys weak run blocking OL. We still can of course because we have Cunningham or TBC to play that spot, and Ninko on the other side.

The only thing that really makes sense here is either Crable was just awful (I didnt see that live, but havent replayed yet) or that there was some type of insubordinate behavior.

He was just not clicking. The hustle factor isn't there. From what I've seen so far, he didn't seem to line up correctly on a few occasions (had to motion again), got in the wrong 3 point, and had at least 2 instances where he got away with false starts. And of course chasing Ben like he was a big fat lineman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes