PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crable is only capable of being a third-down rusher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I'd rather see him play than make decisions based on the size of his legs but I guess we all have our interests ;)

Re: Crable

You mentioned Matthews and Cushing. Think about English, Barwin, and Kruger, too. I agree that if Woods is the starter they've gone downhill, but I figure there's a plan that involves an OLB draft pick and an ILB free agent (Barton, Seward). Not time to panic yet, even though my finger is hovering over the red button. :scared:

No way we go into the season with a rookie OLB. Mayo is special and ILB is a little different than OLB. OLB is a tougher position to learn, especially in this Patriot 3-4 system. And I doubt Bill trades one of his starting OLB because he's got his eye on someone in the draft. Too risky. I am sure he has someone in the roster already that he feels can step in and start. Based on this trade, we know that he is comfortable going into the season with the LBs we have and have 4 starters out of the group. I'm going to assume it's Mayo and Guyton as ILBs and Woods and Thomas as OLBs. With Bruschi as the main backup ILB and also AD as emergency backup. And Crable, Banta-Cain, and Redd as backups at OLB. I'm gonna assume we pick up a LB with on of our earlier picks, probably a ILB based on our depth chart that can contribute in sub packages.

right now, I feel a hell of alot better about crable than woods, but in light of a total lack of data, the pats need to find a replacement for vrabel

If Crable ever makes the game day roster, the only game time sniff he'll get will be 3rd and longs. I base this on 3 plays I saw him in action in preseason.
Let me get this straight: You are basing a players career based on three plays he made in preseason as a rookie?

It you based judging his entire future career based on ALL his preseason plays it would be ridiculous. But to cherry pick the three worst plays of a rookie's first prseason and base his entire future career on that ....

Mariotti? Is that you?

If Woods is the starter, WE'RE SCREWED!! He's horrible, he looks clueless out there, he gets blown off the line of scrimmage. I can't see the fascination with Woods, what has he ever done (right that is)?

Woods had done plenty right on the field in rotation and as one of the best special teamers the Pats have. Sorry, FTW, but you are way over-reacting.

Thomas needs to be inside, he has shwon that he is much better in there. He and Mayo would be an outstanding pair of ILB. The problem now is that the Pats have ABSOLUTELY No One to play OLB!! The BB Patriots have always had a great collection of LBs. Today they have Mayo and Thomas and tha tha tha tha tha thats all folks!!!

Thomas was better at OLB last year than he was in 2007/2008 at ILB. Not to mention that 2007/2008 was his first year on the team.

Now, please tell me when you became clairvoyant and could see the future. Because there can't be any other reason for you to claim the Pats have no one else at OLB or at LB in general. You seem to be writing off Crable, Redd, Guyton, Craig, and Robertson. You probably would have written Adalius Thomas off in his first year with the Ravens by the way you are talking.

At the very least I was expecting Vrabel to move to the inside this year and have Thomas and 1st round pick playing OLB. Then I got really excited when I thought that BB had traded Vrabel, Cassel, & #23 for #3, which would have meant Curry.

TODAY they need a starting ILB and a starting OLB. I have no idea what it would take to get Peppers from Carolina, I don't see anyone else in Free Agency that would fill that void. I guess you could throw yor conscience out the window and sign Ray Lewis.

If that was your expectation, then maybe its your thought processes that need to be re-vamped and expanded. None of the OLB or DE to OLB converts are going to make a difference on regular plays until the 6th to 8th game of the season. And that is if we are lucky.

Now, as for free agents. What about Andra Davis for ILB? He's got experience in the 3-4. And would actually go pretty good next to Mayo.

Crable is an unknown, Alexander and Woods have been taking up roster spots for a few years and are the epitome of JAGs.

Adalus Thomas was an unknown going into his 2nd season. Alexander hasn't been taking up a roster spot because he's been on the IR. Woods, besides playing on special teams, has been getting his baptism at OLB. Its been a slow progression, but really no slower than Thomas' was for Baltimore.

Of course the Pats could draft Cushing and Matthews, Jr. and they would be fine, but that is a big gamble that they will be around when the Pats pick.

Plus if he haven't noticed the Pats lack a starting Safety (both harrison and Sanders are gone). The holes they are a plenty, I can only hope that BB somehow reverses his putrid 2nd round drafting history and comes up with 3 gems.

Yes, BB's history of 2nd round picks is so putrid. With the likes of Matt Light and Deion Branch there. And trading for Corey Dillon and Wes Welker. People want to point to Chad Chackson and Bethel Johnson and forget about the other moves because that's the only way they can make their case. But when they do that, its clear that they do so while ignoring facts. Like you did.

What I remember seeing in Training Camp and the exhibition games is that Crable was in the camera shot just about every play. He is almost the exact same size as Willie McGinest with the same giant wingspan.

My theory is that he was essentially red-shirted last year with a phantom "shin injury" and he will be starting this year.

You heard it here first!

Mark

He has also had 1 year of NFL nutrition and workouts, lets not throw him away until we at least see him on the field.

I agree. It's far too early in his career to make that kind of assumption. I'm sure the Patriots have him on a strict program to build his body up and be ready to play in the NFL. I'm looking forward to seeing him in training camp this year.

Physically, Crable reminds me of Michael Johnson in this year's draft. Both players are tall and long. Yeah Johnson is rated higher and Crable has skinny legs, but so what. Crable will have worked on his game and his body for a year. He should contribute more in 2009 but it's way too early to say that he can only be a one trick pony based on one game you saw in preseason LAST year.

Lets see how he goes in camp and pre-season .. I dont suppose he's been sitting on his hands for a year

I disagree. Watching Crable develop in college, he has a nose for the ball, and is definitely a playmaker. He has the potential to be a Willie McGinest type player. He's as physically gifted a player as you could ask for, but has struggled in pass coverage from time to time and had maturity issues. I wouldn't be surprised if he started this year. It would mean that he got his act together and learned the defense inside out, and if he is able to do that...a lot of people will get a pleasant surprise.

No way we go into the season with a rookie OLB. Mayo is special and ILB is a little different than OLB. OLB is a tougher position to learn, especially in this Patriot 3-4 system. And I doubt Bill trades one of his starting OLB because he's got his eye on someone in the draft. Too risky. I am sure he has someone in the roster already that he feels can step in and start. Based on this trade, we know that he is comfortable going into the season with the LBs we have and have 4 starters out of the group. I'm going to assume it's Mayo and Guyton as ILBs and Woods and Thomas as OLBs. With Bruschi as the main backup ILB and also AD as emergency backup. And Crable, Banta-Cain, and Redd as backups at OLB. I'm gonna assume we pick up a LB with on of our earlier picks, probably a ILB based on our depth chart that can contribute in sub packages.

I was hoping Mayo's rookie season would put to bed this myth that a player needs 4 years of indoctrination to capably play LB for BB. I think BB prefers vets, but rookies are more than capable. Hell, Gary Guyton an UDFA came in and played well enough. Not great, but not terrible either.

I think with the extra time to scout (don't think that the extra 4+ weeks of draft prep won't help immensely) BB will find another 1-2 rookie LBs that can be counted on to play in 2009.

Another sensationalist garbage thread. Times like these are when I should avoid the forum. While other parts of the offseason may be boring, people around here tend to be more realistic.

I was hoping Mayo's rookie season would put to bed this myth that a player needs 4 years of indoctrination to capably play LB for BB. I think BB prefers vets, but rookies are more than capable. Hell, Gary Guyton an UDFA came in and played well enough. Not great, but not terrible either.

I think with the extra time to scout (don't think that the extra 4+ weeks of draft prep won't help immensely) BB will find another 1-2 rookie LBs that can be counted on to play in 2009.

Tom - no offense, but Mayo is the exception and not the rule. Its foolhardy to believe otherwise. Mayo and Guyton were kept on short leashes the entire season. Mayo, though he played nearly every down, didn't rush the passer. Guyton was brought in for pass coverage, ala Roman Phifer. Its not like Guyton was out there every play. And, lets not forget, that instead of going with Guyton full time, the Pats brought Seau back and started him over Guyton.

Why do they have to be rookies? The Pats have several very talented young OLBs in Redd, Crable, Robertson, and Craig. Any of whom could step up and surprise. There is also the potential that Guyton could be moved outside.

Tom - no offense, but Mayo is the exception and not the rule. Its foolhardy to believe otherwise. Mayo and Guyton were kept on short leashes the entire season. Mayo, though he played nearly every down, didn't rush the passer. Guyton was brought in for pass coverage, ala Roman Phifer. Its not like Guyton was out there every play. And, lets not forget, that instead of going with Guyton full time, the Pats brought Seau back and started him over Guyton.

Why do they have to be rookies? The Pats have several very talented young OLBs in Redd, Crable, Robertson, and Craig. Any of whom could step up and surprise. There is also the potential that Guyton could be moved outside.

My point is, saying that Mayo is the exception to the rule that rookies can't start & excel in BB's defense is based on a sample size of one -- Mayo. There have been no other attempts to take highly drafted (i.e. talented) rookie LBs and start them.

I agree, Mayo is the exception to the rule that BB never drafts LBs high and starts them, but it remains to be seen that he is the exception to the rule that it may be done.

Had BB drafted LBs highly in the past and they could not start right away then it would be true; but he has drafted one LB highly and started him and it worked. This tells me that he will try it again.

Last edited:
Crable may only be capable of being a 3rd down rusher, but that's than we can say about Vrabel.

Another sensationalist garbage thread. Times like these are when I should avoid the forum. While other parts of the offseason may be boring, people around here tend to be more realistic.

same here, but it is fun when people piss and moan

"based on 3 plays". Nice thread.

Try a poll; I vote "dumb"

Crable was drafted in the 3rd to be a future starter at OLB for the patriots. I don't think it is appropriate to even guess on Crable until his 3rd preseason.

You're making a career assessment on a player base on three plays in his rookie season ? Either You are Nostradamus or this is simply dumb.

You're making a career assessment on a player base on three plays in his rookie season ? Either You are Nostradamus or this is simply dumb.

That Cassel kid will NEVER see real game action either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back