PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coyle: Dolphins looking at Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=763205

Coyle rates Matt Ryan as the #1 overall prospect. I realize college football fans don't like Ryan, because he's from a second tier power from a weak conference. But if I needed a Qb, I would take Ryan without hesitation. IMO this makes sense for Miami, and is a good pick.

It would push Chris Long into play for the Pats, who is my favorite player. Keep in mind with Dimitroff in Atlanta and KC likely looking to trade down, the Pats will have the ability to trade up depending on how the coin flips to determine #3-#5.

You could lump Ryan into the same boat as Alex Smith a few years ago. Having said that, Ryan has performed in more pressure packed situations against bigger schools than Smith did against powers such as Weber St.

PonyExpress said:
But if I needed a Qb, I would take Ryan without hesitation. IMO this makes sense for Miami, and is a good pick.

Are there any veteran QBs available who can adequately manage the game? Curious as to which direction Parcells would lean...

BTW, of course, any strategy that would get us Long is welcome. :)

You could lump Ryan into the same boat as Alex Smith a few years ago. Having said that, Ryan has performed in more pressure packed situations against bigger schools than Smith did against powers such as Weber St.

Smith and Ryan are completely different, played in totally different college offenses. Ryan is a pure drop back passer who reads progressions well. Smith ran a gimmick college offense where he was asked to run the ball and rarely had to go to his 2nd option. There really is no similarity other than they both came from non-power programs, which IMO is the reason for the dislike of Ryan among many college football fans. IMO those fans are making a mistake. He is a better prospect than Leinart, or Smith, or Cutler, or Aaron Rodgers or these other hyped prospects from past drafts. When you realize he had a sieve O-line, no NFL skill position players (beyond Callender, a 2nd day 3rd down back), you start to understand that what he faced in college: Pass rush pressure, a cluttered pocket, tight games, miserable conditions, throwing from improvised arm angles, throwing on the run, checking down, leading his team, are all the qualities necessary to succeed in the pros. His game translates well to the NFL.

I agree, Smith and Ryan are nothing alike. Smith came from the Myers spread option attack in college, while Ryan is a more conventional QB. PS: whoever drafts Tebows is going to learn, just as the 49ers did, that these spread option QB's can't read defenses and get injured a lot because they hold the ball too long or run and get pounded by fast NFL defenders.

I think Ryan has really progressed throughout his BC career and his comeback win at VT earlier in the year, was almost Brady-like. He can make all the throws and is fairly accurate as a passer. Remember Ryan played primarily in a run offense and didn't play with a deep, stud receiving crew.

I would be thrilled if BP passed on C Long and went with Ryan. I'm not sure if Ryan could beat out Beck as the starter next season, given that Beck has had a year in the NFL, and except for being unusally old, has a lot of the same skills as Ryan has.

I would not be surprised to see BP take a run at Pennington as a Short Term answer while Beck gains a little more experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back