PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cowherd calls Pats "an average team"

Status
Not open for further replies.

old 55

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Today on his radio show, Colin Cowherd referred to the Pats as an average team without the offensive players needed to carry the team to the post season.

He points to the Dolphins as the other team in the AFC East besides the Jets to look out for.

While he acknowledged Brady and BB, that was it as far as crediting the Pats at all.
He felt that if the Bengals game was later in the season that he'd like the Bengals, but that early on he'd pick the Pats to win this one, but he says he wouldn't be surprised if Cincy won.

With a healthy Brady, Moss, Welker, and Edelman having made a big jump from last year, Tate looking very good and all 3 TEs looking very good - this could be a killer offensive in my mind.
I think if you look at the TD in the Giants game to Gronkowski, you can see how the Pats will have multiple threats in the red zone including a big target like Gronkowski that can just box out the defender and get the ball.
I can understand criticisms of the D since we are hurting in several areas there, but not knowing about the state of the O is just not doing your homework.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by his comments.
He does tend to say things to be inflammatory.
Amazing that guys like this get gigs like his.

Cowherd is a stupid human being, fortunately. We got full view of that right around Spygate.

Cowherd is a stupid human being, fortunately. We got full view of that right around Spygate.

Actually he is very smart, because he knowshowto create an image that gets him a radio and TV show.
He doesnt care if his opinions are right or wrong, he cares that they are listened to, and that he can come up with an excuse to show why he was right when he was wrong.
He is an act. Just as Howard Stern, Jm Rome and Rush Limbaugh are an act. Both have jobs because they understood how to create a personality that would attract followers.

Actually he is very smart, because he knows how to create an image that gets him a radio and TV show.
He doesnt care if his opinions are right or wrong, he cares that they are listened to, and that he can come up with an excuse to show why he was right when he was wrong.
He is an act. Just as Howard Stern, Jim Rome and Rush Limbaugh are an act. Both have jobs because they understood how to create a personality that would attract followers.
Very true. I wouldn't bother reading too much into what anybody with a national radio show, television gig, or column on a website has to say. It's difficult if not impossible to determine what most of them truly believe, and what they are saying or writing in an attempt to spark interest, controversy and debate in order to increase ratings. It's a business, not a public service, and they are in the business of attracting listeners, viewers and readers for their customers that have purchased advertising time and space from that person's corporate employer.

And before anyone labels Cowherd a Pats hater, he was pretty much the lone voice on national TV or radio defending the Pats in regards to spygate three years ago.

Actually he is very smart, because he knowshowto create an image that gets him a radio and TV show.
He is an act. Just as Howard Stern, Jm Rome and Rush Limbaugh are an act. Both have jobs because they understood how to create a personality that would attract followers.

Creating a bombastic image based on spouting controversial bull**** has nothing to do with intelligence. It means he's somewhat savvy and sociopathic; never mistake that for smarts.

Last edited:
Today on his radio show, Colin Cowherd referred to the Pats as an average team without the offensive players needed to carry the team to the post season.

He points to the Dolphins as the other team in the AFC East besides the Jets to look out for.

While he acknowledged Brady and BB, that was it as far as crediting the Pats at all.
He felt that if the Bengals game was later in the season that he'd like the Bengals, but that early on he'd pick the Pats to win this one, but he says he wouldn't be surprised if Cincy won.

With a healthy Brady, Moss, Welker, and Edelman having made a big jump from last year, Tate looking very good and all 3 TEs looking very good - this could be a killer offensive in my mind.
I think if you look at the TD in the Giants game to Gronkowski, you can see how the Pats will have multiple threats in the red zone including a big target like Gronkowski that can just box out the defender and get the ball.
I can understand criticisms of the D since we are hurting in several areas there, but not knowing about the state of the O is just not doing your homework.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by his comments.
He does tend to say things to be inflammatory.
Amazing that guys like this get gigs like his.

Huh? The offense? Hahahahaha...this guy is a dolt.

Creating a bombastic image based on spouting controversial bull**** has nothing to do with intelligence. It means he's somewhat savvy and sociopathic; never mistake that for smarts.
I think you are missing the point. Any moron can make predictions, and depending on who is listening sound smart or stupid. It takes intelligence to venture into broadcasting 9or any other field) and understand what it takes to succeed. Cowherd has built himself a tremendously successful carreer with absolutely zero advantages.
Te main point is his comments arent designed to be right or wrong, they are designed to attract the audience he wants, and he does an excellent job of it.
Part of the way he does so is by flip-flopping depending upon context.
Im sure his Patriots comments today were during a Jets conversation, probably revolving around Revis. He wants the story to be interesting so he oversells what Revis signing will do. Knock the Pats down a few notches and this a bigger story because it could change the power in the division.
On a day where the Pats are the topic, he will downplay the Jets because of Sanchez.
Thats his schtick. Its not it is what it is. Its it is whatever version helps me today.

NE is average on defense, not offense. I will give Cowherd that.

The offense should be fine, particulary if Taylor and Morris can stay healthy so NE develops a run game that will open things up for Brady.

That's fine. He can call the Pats "an average team". It's just his opinion. I consider him "a below average sports voice". Just my opinion. :)

Last edited:
I remember back in 2007, Cowherd proclaimed that the Cowboys were more adaptable to adversity and pressure than the Patriots. He said the Pats were like that uptight straight A student that goes to college and flunks out without structure and the Cowboys(who had TO, Crayton, Romo at the time) were the guys who are the guys who party and do what it takes to to get by and nothing really phases him. The Pats ended up going 18-1 and the Cowboys fell part in December and January.

He felt that if the Bengals game was later in the season that he'd like the Bengals, but that early Gronkowski, you can see how the Pats will have multiple threats in the red zone including a big target like Gronkowski that can just box out the defender and get the defender and get the ball.

I can't find tremendous fault overall with his comments really...we have moss....then welker may be a question mark coming off the injury...Tate and price have been shaky.....edelman hasn't been there for past few games..gronk is the sh*t and should be really successful..crumpler should be decent as well.....hernandez is work in progress......running game is huge question mark....DEFENSE: as stated before....depends on WHO they really are.....tight, pass rushing run stuffing D which showed up against NO....or the sloppy crap we have seen last two weeks.......I see them going 9-7, 10-6 this year....which would be avg to above avg for Pats....
I think right now it depends on how quickly all the young guys on D can come together....and what will happen with OL in long run. However that being said......the doofins have huge questions in secondary and QB.....they didn't exactly look tight in preseason.....jests will be dealing with HUGE pressure...and Sanchize still doesn't look like a SB QB...I think jests will be team to beat tho...n

Last edited by a moderator:
If the media think of the Pats as the underdogs, let them.

Being the underdog will often take off some pressure, which can only help :)

So true. And such a bombastic moralizer--his "morality" being all over the map, depending on what powerful cultural entity he's trying to kneel down to

WTF.

It's one thing to call the Patriots average; it's entirely different to call them average on account of their offense. I'd expect a top 5 offense with this squad.

That comment reflects quite poorly on his own knowledge. It strikes me strange when people make assessments as such given skill players on offense at the Patriots are the team's greatest strength.

WTF.

It's one thing to call the Patriots average; it's entirely different to call them average on account of their offense. I'd expect a top 5 offense with this squad.

I think that is misquoting the OP. The OP paraphrased saying the offense couldn't carry the team into the OP. Now that could either mean that the offense is average or the defense is that bad.

Frankly, I think it is fair for the national media to call them an average team. There has been so much turnover all over the team that it is hard for them to predict how the team will perform. I think we are a bit more confidence because of the faith we have in BB and Brady.

I love it how fans forget that Colin Cowherd, praises the Pats almost all the time, but when he says one negative thing about them, fans are in a uproar... He is right we are average until the defense comes of age.. Folks this is no 13-3 team, this may not be a 11-5 team this year.. so if your not used to the critical analysis, get used to it, because this teams theme song for 2010 is called growing pains.....

I don't think those comments are unreasonable. This team, like most, does seem closer to average than great or terrible.

I can't believe he bashed the team and then used the offense to try to make his point. What horrible logic. The offense, outside of one position, really, is stout. They are going to be the reason why this team wins a lot of the games that they do. If anything, he should be bashing the defense. But I guess expecting logic out of Colin Cowherd is expecting too much.

I can't believe he bashed the team and then used the offense to try to make his point. What horrible logic. The offense, outside of one position, really, is stout. They are going to be the reason why this team wins a lot of the games that they do. If anything, he should be bashing the defense. But I guess expecting logic out of Colin Cowherd is expecting too much.

But is that what he did? I didn't hear the segment, but from what I read here I interpret it to mean that the defense is so suspect that not even Brady and the offense will be able to carry the team to elite status. I guess I should try to listen to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down