Not open for further replies.

Cramden

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
COWBOYS NOTES
Cowboys might be in hunt for free-agent kicker
By RICK HERRIN
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

MOBILE, Ala. - Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wants to fix his team's erratic kicking problems.

The Cowboys made 20 of 28 field goals last season, but only 10 of 17 from 30 yards or longer.

So could the Cowboys break their past philosophy and shop the free-agent market to find a new kicker?

"Yes," Jones said earlier this week while attending a Senior Bowl practice in Mobile, Ala. "Absolutely."

There are several high-profile kickers available. Adam Vinatieri from New England, Mike Vanderjagt from Indianapolis, Ryan Longwell from Green Bay, Matt Bryant from Tampa Bay, Paul Edinger from Minnesota and Todd Peterson from Atlanta are unrestricted free agents.

Seattle kicker Josh Brown is a restricted free agent.

Coach Bill Parcells brought in Bryant before the 2004 season to compete with Billy Cundiff, but Bryant was released after suffering an injury.

Vinatieri was Parcells' rookie kicker on New England's Super Bowl XXXI team. Vanderjagt might not fit Parcells' profile because he does not handle kickoff duties.

The Cowboys used three kickers last season and made four moves before rookie Shaun Suisham, a former member of the practice squad, finished the season.

The kicking woes became a glaring problem and helped contribute to the Cowboys (9-7) missing the playoffs despite a 7-3 start.

Jones said the Cowboys might select a kicker in this year's draft.

I'm sure many teams would be interested but Vinatieri is affordable as a Franchise. Not easily as he'd get a 20% raise but affordable. Next year would be different as we'll be Franchising Seymour (unless the new CBA changes all that).

BelichickFan said:
I'm sure many teams would be interested but Vinatieri is affordable as a Franchise. Not easily as he'd get a 20% raise but affordable. Next year would be different as we'll be Franchising Seymour (unless the new CBA changes all that).

If we franchise him, do you think that the Cowboys would give up two first round picks for his services? I don't think so. IMHO, if they can't come to an agreement on a contract, they will franchise him again.

I believe Adam wants to remain a Patriot. I think he will do a long term deal
this off season ... after all he did miss a FG in PATs losing playoff game. :)

But if there is a decent replacement out there, I wouldn't be surprised to see
BB let him go if Adam's demands are too excessive. If no decent replacement
can be found then here comes franschise tag again if Adam wants too much
on a long term deal.

what team who needs a kicker isnt interested in adam?

Note:

there are 10 experienced Free Agent placekickers this year.

DefenseRules said:
If we franchise him, do you think that the Cowboys would give up two first round picks for his services? I don't think so. IMHO, if they can't come to an agreement on a contract, they will franchise him again.

As much as I like Adam and appreciate everything he has done I would jump with glee if the Cowboys signed him and gave us 2 first round picks. Especially with all of the other quality kickers on the market.

DefenseRules said:
If we franchise him, do you think that the Cowboys would give up two first round picks for his services?
Ha, that would be nice. I'd take a 2nd or a 3rd for him, let alone two #1s ;)

mgcolby said:
As much as I like Adam and appreciate everything he has done I would jump with glee if the Cowboys signed him and gave us 2 first round picks. Especially with all of the other quality kickers on the market.

As unlikely as it might be for any team to give up 2 #1 picks for a kicker, even one with the pedigree of AV, if there is any team that would be desperate enough it might be Dallas. That team has been KILLED over the past few years by inconsistency at that position, if not causing then highly contributing to them losing no less than 5 games that I can recall. Throw in the fact that I still think Parcells would love to stick it to BB and Kraft. He did it with CMart, and 'IF' any kicker can be considered as valuable as an All Pro RB it's AV.

parcells is on the hunt

BelichickFan said:
you KNOW parcells will get vinatieri away from the patriots if he can.
patriots keep doing this high-wire act with AV, wih 1-year contracts, franchise designation. why not keep it simple, make him the hiighest paid kicker in the nfl, and lock him up for 6 years?
by the way, i laughed a long time when vanderjact, the dolts kicker, missed that kick BY 50 FRIGGIN' FEET. he & peyton are 2 of a kind. vanderjagt wants that "best kicker ever" designation too. er, ya gotta slight problem here, mike.

ilduce06410 said:
why not keep it simple, make him the hiighest paid kicker in the nfl, and lock him up for 6 years?
He'll be 34 in December. I know some kickers can do it into their late 30s and beyond but I don't see a long term deal coming at his age.

BelichickFan said:
He'll be 34 in December. I know some kickers can do it into their late 30s and beyond but I don't see a long term deal coming at his age.

I didn't know Adam was near his mid 30's. I still think that he has some good years left, but I wouldn't be surprised if BB starts to keep an emergency kicker on the practice squad in future years, just in case.
You never know.

mgcolby said:

Why would we receive 2 1st round picks for Adam? He's no longer Franchised. Adam is a UFA and I highly doubt the Patriots will franchise him again. The only compensation we would get, currently, for Adam is a compensation pick in next year's draft. Probably a 4th or 5th rounder depending on the AVG of the contract he signed.

We have messing around to much with Adam and his contract. We should just give him a long term contract and pay him. He has earned that money and he should get paid.

Besides if you think about is Parcells trying to get all his former Patriots players in Dallas. I mean look who he has: Bledsoe, Glenn. If this keeps up he might go after Ben Coates.

DaBruinz said:
Why would we receive 2 1st round picks for Adam? He's no longer Franchised. Adam is a UFA and I highly doubt the Patriots will franchise him again.

You're joking right? A 20% increase certainly makes AV the highest paid kicker by far, but the team can certainly afford it this season.

I mean the highest paid kicker is making half as much as an average CB - but in AVs case his value is significant.

Adam V. knows he's getting older. He likely wants a degree of long term stability and guaranteed money. He won't get 100% guaranteed like last time and I think he knows that.

But I also think he would see the value of compromising and accepting a long term deal rather than again take the risk of going year to year with the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots