PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cowboys Defensive TD Was An Incomplete Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSal45

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
That play where the Cowboys scored on the fumble should have been reviewed. It was an incomplete pass. Brady pumped and never tucked the ball away. In that situation, when the ball hits the ground its incomplete. No exceptions. We all know this in New England. And the exact same thing was called in Cleveland's favor last week against us. Classic tuck rule. Watch the play, Brady pumps (arm moves forward)....moves a bit in the pocket, ball is knocked out. But he NEVER tucks the ball away....a key to the rule.

Incomplete pass, should have been reviewed. That was a mistake by the Patriots coaches.

J D Sal

I think there has to be some kind of logical time limit or action rule on the tuck rule.

if the qb makes a football move after pumping and the ball doesnt come out of his hands; then he is obvoiously a runner not a passer.

if he stands there and pumps and then gets another 3 secs to stand in the pocket before he is hit; it doesn t make sense you can call that by the tuck rule.

I think it only makes logical sense if the two events (the pump and the strip) are in close time proximity.

One caveat, its unclear if the ball went forward or backwards. I think it went forward, but its close.

J D Sal

I think there has to be some kind of logical time limit or action rule on the tuck rule.

if the qb makes a football move after pumping and the ball doesnt come out of his hands; then he is obvoiously a runner not a passer.

if he stands there and pumps and then gets another 3 secs to stand in the pocket before he is hit; it doesn t make sense you can call that by the tuck rule.

I think it only makes logical sense if the two events (the pump and the strip) are in close time proximity.
No, there is no time limit. The amount of time that passed last week between Anderson's pump and the ball coming out was longer last week, as was the distance he scrambled after the pump.

J D Sal

The whole point of the tuck rule is to take ANY judgment out of the hands of the refs. It was a tuck play, TEXTBOOK, I believe. Oh well. No big deal.

Tha ball was knocked out of his hand by the defender. IIRC, that same defender scooped it up.

Tha ball was knocked out of his hand by the defender. IIRC, that same defender scooped it up.
That makes no difference. It would be a tuck rule. Except now I'm thinking it may have gone backwards, which DOES make a difference. And its close enough I don't think they'd call it on review since they didn't call it on the field.

J D Sal

That makes no difference. It would be a tuck rule. Except now I'm thinking it may have gone backwards, which DOES make a difference. And its close enough I don't think they'd call it on review since they didn't call it on the field.

J D Sal

Come to think of it, I don't think any of those FG's Folk hit actually went through the uprights. Dude, Brady pumped, brought it back, and took off. The defender knocked the ball out of Brady's hand, it was a fumble. Maybe every QB should just pump it, and tuck it?

No fan of the Tuck Rule, but I don't see how it doesn't apply in that play.

And there is no time limit. I remember Joe Gibbs lamenting that a QB could take 10 minutes before losing the ball and the rule would apply. Brady didn't bring the ball back to his body or "tuck" it so shouldn't the rule apply?

The whole point of the tuck rule is to take ANY judgment out of the hands of the refs. It was a tuck play, TEXTBOOK, I believe. Oh well. No big deal.

Pats will NEVER get the benefit of the tuck rule again. Sorry.

Come to think of it, I don't think any of those FG's Folk hit actually went through the uprights. Dude, Brady pumped, brought it back, and took off. The defender knocked the ball out of Brady's hand, it was a fumble. Maybe every QB should just pump it, and tuck it?
Makes no difference. It doesn't matter. He never tucked it back in. If it went forward it IS by rule an incompletion. Just as Anderson's was for Cleveland last week. The difference here is I think it went backwards (but its close) and that is what makes it a fumble, not anything the defender did. Once you pump, if it hits the ground forward its an incompletion. No matter what causes it to hit the ground. That IS the tuck rule.

J D Sal

Maybe every QB should just pump it, and tuck it?

Wow, do you think before you type? Are you drinking and typing? Are you old enough to drink?

No, every QB should pump it and NOT tuck it. Do you get it now? The whole point is that when a QB DOESN'T tuck the ball. It's pretty basic. Maybe that's why you have trouble understanding it. Someone hitting the ball has nothing to do with it.

Your lack of knowledge continues to come through on every post. But it appears that posting is an end in itself for you.

Last edited:
Makes no difference. It doesn't matter. He never tucked it back in. If it went forward it IS by rule an incompletion. Just as Anderson's was for Cleveland last week. The difference here is I think it went backwards (but its close) and that is what makes it a fumble, not anything the defender did. Once you pump, if it hits the ground forward its an incompletion. No matter what causes it to hit the ground. That IS the tuck rule.

J D Sal
The pump was long gone and over (IIRC). Brady started to run, not sure why the tuck rule would come into play here.

Wow, do you think before you type? Are you drinking and typing? Are you old enough to drink?

No, every QB should pump it and NOT tuck it. Do you get it now? The whole point is that when a QB DOESN'T tuck the ball. It's pretty basic. Maybe that's why you have trouble understanding it. Someone hitting the ball has nothing to do with it.

Your lack of knowledge continues to come through on every post. But it appears that posting is an end in itself for you.

Not sure why what I said is considered errant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuck_rule

This play in question resembles nothing that the rule describes.

Not sure why what I said is considered errant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuck_rule

This play in question resembles nothing that the rule describes.

You aren't understanding the rule. If you pump and the ball hits the ground forward, its incomplete. Period. Really simple and the NFL wants it that way. Time passage, what caused it, NOTHING makes a difference. The only thing that stops it is tucking it away under your arm like a running back would. THAT IS THE RULE. Like it or not.

J D Sal

The pump was long gone and over (IIRC). Brady started to run, not sure why the tuck rule would come into play here.

It's clear that you don't understand, because you don't understand the rule. And you don't seem to care about getting a better understanding. When people try to inform you, your response is to repeat the same misinformation from before. Myself and other posters have clearly stated things that should have stopped you from writing "the pump was long gone and over..."

You've been told why the Tuck Rule applys. If you can't figure it out from the clear posts already, then look it up.

Yes. That's clear. You are not sure. The reason though is that you don't know the rule. Or, you do, and you're pretending you don't.

It can be 20 seconds. He can be running. He can doing needlepoint. The reason it's called the "tuck" rule is that it's not a fumble UNTIL he's tucked. He didn't tuck.

But it doesn't matter. The way I saw the play it was a tuck rule play -- no tuck -- but then a lateral, so it's all irrelevant. TD. I think it might have actually been called that way on the field.

I was thinking that It could of been a incomplete pass on a side note I was watching the game with some friends one being a BOYS fan.
I hate to say this they are all clueless on football and are very annoying let's go COWBOYS at the top of their lungs!:eek:
Thank god the Pats shut them all up.

You aren't understanding the rule. If you pump and the ball hits the ground forward, its incomplete. Period. Really simple and the NFL wants it that way. Time passage, what caused it, NOTHING makes a difference. The only thing that stops it is tucking it away under your arm like a running back would. THAT IS THE RULE. Like it or not.

J D Sal
REALLY Sal, that's the ONLY THING that stops it, because from THIS VERBAGE, it appears as though that is incorrect:

Only if the quarterback reloads -- and raises the ball again to start a new throwing motion -- can he fumble, as long as the ball is knocked loose before his arm begins to move forward again.

I believe the above is how that play happened.

Last edited:
REALLY Sal, that's the ONLY THING that stops it, because from THIS VERBAGE, it appears as though that is incorrect:

Only if the quarterback reloads -- and raises the ball again to start a new throwing motion -- can he fumble, as long as the ball is knocked loose before his arm begins to move forward again.

I believe the above is how that play happened.
First of all, its wikipedia. Who knows who wrote it. Could be you. What he says though is true. But he says "reloads".......sure. AFTER HE TUCKS!!!! THERE HAS TO BE A TUCK FIRST!!!! BRADY NEVER TUCKED!!! ITS CALLED THE TUCK RULE FOR A REASON!!!!

I don't know who you are, to be honest I never noticed your posts before. But I'm starting to agree with the posters above who are mentioning you're an idiot.

J D Sal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes