PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cover-1 With McCourty At Post Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEP4Life

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Noticed this coverage was employed against the Broncos in at least some passing situations.

Doesn't this tell us BB has a great deal of confidence in McCourty at safety?

Opinions?

Last edited:
anyone have any idea how often(snaps) mccourty played at safety?

was sterling moore the other cb opposite arrington when mccourty was at safety?

Is the glass half-empty or half-full?

It could also mean that BB has lost hope for him at corner.

I would lean towards the latter as it would be awfully soon to give up on a high draft pick that is coming off a Pro Bowl season.

Then again, Darius Butler got the axe rather quickly.

Apparently, BB is trying to make the best use of his players at their respective positions, and do what's best for the team--as always.

We've seen him utilize players' strengths before, and this is one more time.

McCourty has mentioned that he can see what's in front of him better, he has speed, and offers some ball-hawking skills manning the safety position.

Moore has looked good in bump and run coverage at CB, and the move killed 2 birds with one stone.

When you play cover-1 quite a bit, you have a lot of trust in that safety.

I found this to one of the most interesting twists in the game.

on obvious passing downs, to substitute McCourty for Ihedigbo. shift from big time hitting run support to ball hawking.

i wasnt sure how well it worked however.

in any case, it looked like BB playing to players strengths in a creative way.

thoughts? will we see more of this?

-- FRITZ

There was a little cover one bit not an immense deal...Sterling Moore played solely at Corner I believe...McCourty played Safety in sub packages mainly. Ihedigbo was the other guy who got some reps at safety...Chung played the whole game.

I haven't even re-watched the game and spent the game in a sports bar, so wasn't paying an immense amount of attention to what was happening formation wise but catching up with a few guys I hadn't seen in a while.

Last edited:
anyone have any idea how often(snaps) mccourty played at safety?

was sterling moore the other cb opposite arrington when mccourty was at safety?

Yes #29 Moore.

Based on the snaps I've seen, the two secondary packages were exactly as predicted by many of this board's members:

Base
C- McCourty, Arrington
S- Ihedigbo, Chung

Sub (Passing)
C - Moore, Arrington,
S - McCourty, Chung

Yes #29 Moore.

Based on the snaps I've seen, the two secondary packages were exactly as predicted by many of this board's members:

Base
C- McCourty, Arrington
S- Ihedigbo, Chung

Sub (Passing)
C - Moore, Arrington,
S - McCourty, Chung

Who was the primary extra back in sub-packages, when McCourty moved to safety and Moore took over his spot?

I kept trying to see, but sadly didn't get any good looks.

He played both corner and safety in the game. Are you suggesting that halfway through the game Belichick suddenly decided he wasn't fit to be a corner anymore? I don't see how a player being capable of playing both corner and safety can ever be seen as a bad thing.

Noticed this coverage was employed against the Broncos in at least some passing situations.

Opinions?

Your alternative? Ihedigbo? SergioBrown? Edelman?

Please, there is no alternative.

Keep SterlingMoore at CB, and Arrington at CB.

Who was the primary extra back in sub-packages, when McCourty moved to safety and Moore took over his spot?

I kept trying to see, but sadly didn't get any good looks.

It was a passing situation package with the usual 4 DB's when the game was still being contested.

I'm looking for a nickel package and I haven't seen one yet, though I suspect it's there; Edelman got some snaps at DB. Even in the 4th quarter, up 45-10, I'm seeing the Pats with a 3-4 front.

Added: There we go. 3rd and 13 with 6:31 to go in the 3rd. Edelman playing SK/NB, Fletcher in for Spikes.

Last edited:
Your alternative? Ihedigbo? SergioBrown? Edelman?

Please, there is no alternative.

Keep SterlingMoore at CB, and Arrington at CB.

This. Moving McCourty to S against the Bills was obviously a live-snap audition for him. After watching that game I thought the pilot would get cancelled and we wouldn't see that show again but he looked much more aggressive and natural back there against Denver.

In hindsight it was probably a great thing to get tape on him at S in the Bills game so that the coaches had two weeks to point out what he was doing wrong and work with him on it. Moore's great play has made it that much better.

ANYTHING would be better than watching any of the above mentioned players (you forgot Slater) trying to cover anybody.

Except Edelman who I think plays the slot better than Troy Brown did. That kid really stepped up this year and brought a lot of energy to the field even when he didn't know what the hell he was doing much of the time.

I think this was BB taking a shot at anything that might help and that Moore's play probably helped facilitate this too as it looks like they are comfortable with him at CB.

This is the 2nd year in a row that a Moore as walked in and been big in the stretch run.

Opinions?

Ayuh....still prefer Sanders though

It was a passing situation package with the usual 4 DB's when the game was still being contested.

OK, so Tebow-style "passing situations" aren't your typical NFL "passing situations." ;)

This makes total sense for that game: get your 4 best cover guys in the backfield, but keep your stout base front. Somebody has to play safety, and Moore -- a rookie in just his 6th NFL game -- has looked most comfortable and instinctive at his college position of CB. (He's on the small side, too; he and Arrington could wear each other's clothes.)

Love the move. BB prefers zone with his DB's. How often was McC beaten deep and everyone groans and says he's all washed up...except that in zone he's not responsible for longer routes, he's responsible for short ones; the safety takes over the top. Safety play all year has been awful.

I'm looking for a nickel package and I haven't seen one yet, though I suspect it's there; Edelman got some snaps at DB. Even in the 4th quarter, up 45-10, I'm seeing the Pats with a 3-4 front.

Added: There we go. 3rd and 13 with 6:31 to go in the 3rd. Edelman playing SK/NB, Fletcher in for Spikes.

Thanks, much appreciated.

I assumed that it was Edelman, but couldn't remember if I saw him on that side of the ball.

Opinions?

It speaks volumes about Sterling Moore...CB's are still more valued than Safeties. BB can seriously Coach this has to be his best Coaching Job ever. McCourty might be more like Eugene Wilson who was drafted as a CB but played Safety for the most part. With how Big these WR's are nowadays it pays to have a Big Cover CB like Cromartie. I hope the McCourty at Safety is just a abberation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes