PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Courtney Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

dryheat44

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
There's no secret that I want and expect Donnie Edwards playing at ILB next year. However, a cheaper option, and younger, would be Courtney Watson of the Saints.

I was really high on him out of Notre Dame his draft year. He's a misfit in the Saints 4-3.

The Saints have actively been trying to trade him, and not for a premium pick or player. They actually traded him to Miami a few weeks ago for a guy who was a misfit, underachiever in Miami, but the trade was undone when the other guy (Moore) failed his physical. So Saban certainly sees Watson's value.

Watson was a highly productive player at a top NCAA program, and would be a natural fit into the BB 3-4. If the Saints were willing to trade him for another team's trash (Not meant to be mean. More like "spare parts"), is there any reason we couldn't trade Klecko to get him? Klecko would be a useful defensive lineman there. It would be an example of two teams swapping players who don't fit their systems.

I think he would be a great addition if Edwards doesn't come here, or even if he does.

That might not be a bad option. He's been a disappointment to the Saints, but it may be that he doesn't fit their D, just like you said. Of course to trade Klecko for him would require the Saints having an interest in Klecko. Not sure if that would be the case... (don't ever try to sell a Saints fan on a D-Lineman. they think they've got the best D-Line in the league and they'll rip anyone who even suggests they would need another one).

Anyway, if the Pats could get someone like Watson cheap, I'd be happy to see them give him a shot. Maybe we could dump Bethel on them for Watson.

I don't think we should give up on Bethel yet, let's wait until mid August anyway.

For half a split second (while looking at only the thread title) I actually found myself wondering if Courtney was Ben's sister. WTF it must be the offseason.

Last edited:
Maybe a good one..although as far as BJ goes..I would NOT necessarily wait..maybe get zero then..something now..I ma not advocating that..just saying it is an option.

Was Watson in the 2003 or 2004 draft class?

PATSNUTme said:
Was Watson in the 2003 or 2004 draft class?

2004. He's entering his third year.

Anybody know why the Saints are shopping Watson????

Why wasn't Watson taken instead of Sullivan?

Poll said:
Why wasn't Watson taken instead of Sullivan?

Apparently that Belichick fella thinks he knows more than me.

Pats726 said:
Maybe a good one..although as far as BJ goes..I would NOT necessarily wait..maybe get zero then..something now..I ma not advocating that..just saying it is an option.
Funny how I mentioned this as an option..and only an hour later he was gone..Just odd..

Ochmed Jones said:
Anybody know why the Saints are shopping Watson????

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2469052

At a rookie minicamp last month, Payton said he had discussed Watson's status with him, and suggested he would return to the Saints, at least temporarily. But the awkward nature of the situation, with Watson aware that he did not fit into the plans of the new Saints' coaching staff, clearly prompted the team to request that he not attend this weekend's practices.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
Apparently that Belichick fella thinks he knows more than me.

Apparently... :rolleyes:

Well didn't you say it yourself... he failed his physical so a trade was nixed? If there's something physically wrong with the guy I don't want somebody else's damaged goods.

Sullivan might have motivational issues, but he is healthy as far as I know. Besides I think an athletic 320+ pound DL guy is more valuable than a damaged linebacker. JMO.

Last edited:
VJCPatriot said:
Well didn't you say it yourself... he failed his physical so a trade was nixed? If there's something physically wrong with the guy I don't want somebody else's damaged goods.
Watson didn't fail his physical, the other guy did. No damaged goods to speak of.

Okay must have misread that thanks.

Anyways I have high hopes for Mincey and Roach. Also don't forget that TBC and Claridge will be in the mix.

And these guys are all competing for backup jobs since I think Beisel has the 4th linebacker spot nailed down barring a disastrous showing at training camp.

drpatriot said:
Watson didn't fail his physical, the other guy did. No damaged goods to speak of.
I note a recent DUI arrest, perhaps not a killer after the Warfield signing, but a yellow card at least. We'll just have to see how he does with Ralphie pooring the drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes