Welcome to PatsFans.com

Court Imposes Mind-Boggling Speeding Fine on Millionaire

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Jan 8, 2010.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

This actually doesn't bother me. They should have thrown in some community service stuff like picking up trash from the highway too. I hope he learns his lesson.

Swiss Court Fines Speeding Millionaire $290,000

ST. GALLEN, Switzerland (Jan. 7) -- A Swiss court has slapped a wealthy speeder with a chalet-sized fine - a full $290,000.

Judges at the cantonal court in St. Gallen, in eastern Switzerland, based the record-breaking fine on the speeder's estimated wealth of over $20 million.

Swiss Court Fines Speeding Millionaire $290,000 - Sphere News
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +500 / 6 / -2

I think that's terrible. Different rules for different people I guess.
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +349 / 11 / -27

The previous record was 107K, so there seems to be a precedent.. next time I am in Switzerland, promise not to speed...
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I would agree with your point if he was sentenced to way more time in jail than the average Joe was but if a fine is to be a deterant then $200 would do little to stop a repeating millionaire speeder.
  5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

We're moving towards a hatred of the rich where items in a store won't be a fixed price but a percentage of your income. A Toyota Camry will no longer be $25K, it will be, say, 0.5% of your annual income.
  6. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh ya poor rich people, **** the rich they can kiss my ass. Guess what? Lifes not fair sucks to be you I guess!

They should of fined him 1 mill and taught him a lesson. You want to show off your money? good will fine your ass!

The rich have lived under DIFFRENT RULES for over 3 thousand years, why is it ok for them to live under different rules and not the masses?

Karma is a *****, what comes around goes around......
  7. Mabeyitstrue

Mabeyitstrue Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Oh ya its not Black Vs White anymore, its Rich Vs Poor.

Guess what? there are a lot more of us poor people then there are rich........I think you know who will win.

Goodluck cause the rich are going to need it, this time money and power wont save your ass.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +644 / 2 / -9

I bet he's a White Christian
    :singing::singing::singing:
  9. Amazon4

Amazon4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He went 85 in a 50 zone? Yah, that deserves $290k. :rolleyes:
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

I'm not rich, neither is RW. Although I guess "rich" is relative. You are one angry dude. Good luck getting a job without the rich, though.
  11. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If this fine stops him from killing some medical or law student who's in position to make 300k per year for the next 40 years its money well spent from his perspective. All judges are given some latitude to make the punishment effective. I guess Swiss judges are given more than most.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +500 / 6 / -2

Why even respond BF? I don't waste my time with people who are completely clueless.

As for the ticket, since I don't live in Switzerland, I can only guess that the rules there are different than we have here. If the people there think that paying close to 1.45% of your net worth for doing 85mph on the highway is a good idea, so be it. I personally find it absurd.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  13. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

What's wrong with fines being based on a flat tax idea? Just tax people at a certain percent of their wealth or income, rather than a fixed dollar amount. After all, a $100 speeding ticket to a millionaire is hardly a deterrent.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  14. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

The only problem with hating the rich and imposing stuff like this on them is the fact that, eventually, they will get fed up with it and take their money elsewhere (as in, another country).
  15. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

So, are you advocating special privileges for the rich because they have economic clout? And you think penalizing people in ways that may help them to change their behavior is an act of hate? Why bother to give a rich person a fine when it's merely pocket change to them? What good do you think that accomplishes?
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

And that the rich create jobs. The poor and middle class get their paychecks from people richer than them, generally.
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +494 / 12 / -11

#24 Jersey

LMAO, as I said earlier, soon you'll want everything like that. Why shouldn't Bill Gates pay $10,000 for a loaf of bread ? He can afford it :rolleyes:
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +500 / 6 / -2

Let's apply that to age then. When a younger person commits a crime, should we make their sentences longer, and and an older persons shorter? Murder is 30 years in jail if you're 18-25, 25 years in jail if you're 26-35, 20 years in jail if you're 36-45, etc. The government should not discriminate based on financial status. Driving 85 in a 50, isn't more egregious cuz it's committed by a person who makes $100k more than I do. Plus, cities and towns would simply have cops pull over people in more expensive cars, so they could make more money. If a Ford Fusion is doing 85mph on 128, but there's a Mercedez S500 doing the same behind him, you can bet the cops would want to nab the guy that they know can pay more. The government should not discriminate like that, when the rule of law is involved.
  19. Real World

Ratings:
    +500 / 6 / -2

The sad part is that there are people who actually think that's a good idea.
  20. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,750 / 30 / -48

No Jersey Selected

No. They should be treated just like everyone else. The fact that they are rich shouldn't make them hated, nor should it make their fines higher than everyone else. They already pay a ton more than the regular person in taxes. Impose fines or taxes like this on them too much and they will leave. It's a simple fact. If you think the economy is piss poor now, it isn't anything compared to what would happen if the wealthy just all upped and left.