PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Courant's Greenberg not happy with BB over Bruschi injury info

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This was talked about at the beginning of PFW in Progress today.

Here's the full quote from the press conference today:

Greenberg: "Bill, last week you were asked if Bruschi had a broken wrist. You said that "I'm sure his wrist is sore, I'm sure that a lot of his body parts are sore." And this morning's paper, in the Boston Globe, you confirmed that he had a broken wrist, that he was going to miss the preseason. Um...is this a new policy that you just let different people know on occasion about who's hurt? I thought your policy was to not talk about injuries."

BB, after pause: "Um...well, in this particular case, the information was new information, and I was asked a question so I answered it. Truthfully."

Greenberg: "Right. And uh..."

BB: "As I did a week before."

Greenberg: "Right. And wouldn't think you'd wait for this press conference today to avail everyone of the same information?"

BB: "Look, I don't know -"

Greenberg, interrupting: "Is there a phone number so that I can call you up and ask you?" [background laughter]

BB: "Everybody else has got it."

Greenberg: "I'd like it too so I can call you occasionally if there's something that important, like a player injury."

BB, playing along: "Stacey [James], do you have a phone, cell phone, a number here at the stadium, something that they can call? I'm sure we can get you that information, we gotta have a cell phone number for Stacey somewhere."

Greenberg: "Well, I talked to Stacey at 9 o'clock last night. I was interested if I could have your phone number so I could get the information a little better. I'm missing out on it."

BB: "You can get it through Stacey like everyone else does."

Last edited:
I don't really get this. Hasn't everyone known he had a broken wrist for at least a week? What am I missing?

Yeah, that's smart. Screw with BB, that'll get you right to the top of the information list.

"you catch more flies with honey, than you do with vinegar" - my mom.

CrazyDave said:
Yeah, that's smart. Screw with BB, that'll get you right to the top of the information list.

"you catch more flies with honey, than you do with vinegar" - my mom.

Are we brothers?? My mom said that too!

Freaky.

Brownfan80 said:
Are we brothers?? My mom said that too!

Freaky.

Right on, my brutha from anotha mutha!

jimmyjames said:
I don't really get this. Hasn't everyone known he had a broken wrist for at least a week? What am I missing?

Everyone speculated he had one based on Tomase's scoop in the Herald. The team was waiting for further tests to determine if in fact that was the case. This particular injury can be hard to diagnose.

What Greenberg's shorts are in a bunch about is BB chose to give a scoop on the confirmation of the injury to Reiss. Perhaps he did that because Mike is the most thoughtful and careful and balanced of the reporters on the Pat's beat - not one of the many self important attention whores shilling an opinion for any media outlet who wants to toss them a few extra bucks to appear as a purported expert on what this team should or shouldn't be doing - and because he is in line to become the new Globe beat reporter when Jerome returns to TX.

Life is so unfair - wahhhhhhhhhhhh. That's all your missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmyjames said:

A lot of the media is getting their panties in a twist because the Globe got the scoop on the story. It's a dead issue for most of us fans - but I expect the papers to continue to try to make something of it.

Poor Greenberg...my heart bleeds for him. I could care less if he feels slighted. He's just pissed because he didn't get the info first.
It's not like this is anything new either. It was all over the Boston Herald last week. :rolleyes:

Murphys95 said:
A lot of the media is getting their panties in a twist because the Globe got the scoop on the story. It's a dead issue for most of us fans - but I expect the papers to continue to try to make something of it.
I guess a lot of the media needs to work a little harder on establishing sources and doing the legwork the job entails.
They get paid for that, right?

MoLewisrocks said:
Everyone speculated he had one based on Tomase's scoop in the Herald. The team was waiting for further tests to determine if in fact that was the case. This particular injury can be hard to diagnose.

What Greenberg's shorts are in a bunch about is BB chose to give a scoop on the confirmation of the injury to Reiss. Perhaps he did that because Mike is the most thoughtful and careful and balanced of the reporters on the Pat's beat - not one of the many self important attention whores shilling an opinion for any media outlet who wants to toss them a few extra bucks to appear as a purported expert on what this team should or shouldn't be doing - and because he is in line to become the new Globe beat reporter when Jerome returns to TX.

EXACTLY!! :rocker:

pats1 said:
Greenberg: "Well, I talked to Stacey at 9 o'clock last night. I was interested if I could have your phone number so I could get the information a little better. I'm missing out on it."
What a whiny little crybaby. A Borges in the making, no doubt.

CrazyDave said:
LMAO, Greenberg just showed everyone how not to get on Belichick's good side. I can't imagine what he thought he was accomplishing there :D

MoLewisrocks said:

Thanks. This is why I get all my Pats news from this forum or Reiss' blog.

I think everyone is making more of this than it is. BB didn't seem to mind too much. Hartford isn't Boston, it's a longer drive. The guy was only asking that, say, Conn. Patriots fans are also given the same opportunity to keep up with the team that other fans have. Not an unreasonable request, IMO. Clearly, Stacy James values the Boston market more that=n the Conn. market, but he doesn't have to. Whoever is talking should give the info at the same time.

I think the guys on PFW hit it on the head. Belichick hates the Herald, especially after that front page picture they posted a few weeks back. This is his way of screwing the Herald and giving the Globe the scoop. Kind of like saying, "How do you like that one-day funny headline and picture now?" For one day of sales, they hurt themselves badly in the long run.

upstater1 said:
I think everyone is making more of this than it is. BB didn't seem to mind too much. Hartford isn't Boston, it's a longer drive. The guy was only asking that, say, Conn. Patriots fans are also given the same opportunity to keep up with the team that other fans have. Not an unreasonable request, IMO. Clearly, Stacy James values the Boston market more that=n the Conn. market, but he doesn't have to. Whoever is talking should give the info at the same time.

Well, the info went to one guy, so the rumor goes. So it is not really a case of giving the info to one market.

It could just be that Riess is in better with James. ;)

All in all, Greenburg just sounds terribly whiney about the whole thing.

BelichickFan said:
LMAO, Greenberg just showed everyone how not to get on Belichick's good side. I can't imagine what he thought he was accomplishing there :D

That's all I could think as well "What is he trying to accomlpish??"

You know that going head to head with BB in a press conference isn't the way to get what you want, and you can assure that if that's the way you go about it that even the NORMAL route to what you would have wanted will now be closed to you. Dumb.

One of the first things that I noticed yesterday at TC, as I was waiting for the players to come out, is how these prima donna's isolate themselves.

They are up on the hill in their little shelter so they don't get sunburned or too hot. They were all sittng there drinking their coffee and eating their patries, probably provided by the Patriots, looking oh so bored. I half expected that they would have a servant washing their toes.

I remember that down to Bryant, the media all stood on the side lines mixed with the fans or up in the bleachers.

It wouldn't do these media gods any harm to go away from their little shelter and mix with the fans, they might learn something.

Maybe they wouldn't whine so much. They have job to do but does everythng have to be made so easy for them?

Last edited:
I usually very much enjoy reading Alan Greenberg, but I just lost some respect for him. Couldn't there have been a better way to handle that?

I'm stuck with him for my in-print Patriots coverage. All he does is whine. Fortunately I don't rely on the paper for my Pats info unless I'm doing my morning "paper-work". Reading Greenberg is always good for speeding up the "process".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back