Welcome to PatsFans.com

Courageous Congressperson doesn't believe in God

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +479 / 19 / -17

Given the constant attacks on atheism and the chronic attempts by religious radicals to impose their beliefs on our Constitution, courts, and schools, it's heartening to see that at least one congressperson has the guts to publicly express his atheism.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/17/BAGFRONAJD6.DTL

Atheism might be the last political taboo, but it doesn't seem to have hurt Rep. Pete Stark in his East Bay district.

In town hall meetings in Newark and San Leandro today, the 35-year congressional veteran received only cheers and applause when a speaker brought up a survey this week that named Stark as the highest-ranking politician in America who was willing to admit he doesn't believe in God.

Stark waved away any suggestion that he was being courageous when he described himself to the Secular Coalition for America, an association of atheist and humanist groups, as "a Unitarian who does not believe in a Supreme Being.''

"It's not courageous to make a simple statement about personal beliefs,'' he told about 70 people at the San Leandro City Hall. "What is courageous is to stand up in Congress and say, 'Let's tax the rich and give the money to poor kids.' Now that's courageous.''

2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +826 / 7 / -2

God bless him.

Oops! :D

3. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't understand how he can describe himself as a unitarian if he doesn't believe in a single God. That's the definition of unitarianism.

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +479 / 19 / -17

Pujo, From what I understand of Unitarianism, apparently you just have to believe in the progressive values that religion teaches, not in God. That said, there are different kinds of Unitarians, just as there are different kinds of Christians, Jews, Muslims, etc.

5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +204 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

Hmmm, he says "The negative responses were the most reasoned and reasonable I've ever received,'' Now imagine the negative responses a politician in say Afghanistan would receive. Now that would be courageous!

6. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Thank god (or whoever) we're not in Afghanistan, then, eh?

7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +204 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I hear ya but I had to throw that in there. We hear so much of how the US is worse than the rest of the world. I agree with you. We should be thankfull. We should be glad we live in a place like the US.

8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, it's certainly better than what the gays are trying to do to our Constitution, courts and schools.

Let me see if I understand.... An ultra-liberal from San Francisco announces he is an atheist, and you want to give him the Red Badge of Courage...?

Yeah. Real courage on display there. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  9. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well yeah, we're able to come here and post our dissent of America without any fear of jackbooted thugs breaking into our houses and dragging us off to prison in the middle of the night. I came from the former Soviet Union, where the KGB used to camp out on our doorstep to intimidate my parents when they took Hewbrew lessons. My father was very politically connected so they couldn't outright do anything, but it was scary nontheless. But in remembering how good the US is, we can still speak out for making it even better.

10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +826 / 7 / -2

Or worse, depending on one's perspective. :D

11. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

That's the other thing people need to realize. There aren't many people who truly hate America, there are just differing opinions on how to make America better.

12. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +510 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

The problem with atheists is THAT THEY ATTEMPT TO IMPOSE THEIR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS ON THE ENTIRE PUBLIC!!!!!!!!!

Think about it, do Christians, Jews, Buddaists, or even Muslims go to court and try to impose their views on the rest of the counrtr? No they don't. But everyday some atheist is trying to impose his religion on the rest of us. If you don't believe in God, fine, don't your just one less person I'll have to stand in line behind when I die (notice I did not claim to know which line I will be in). But do not try and impose your religion on me.

ATHEISTISM IS A RELIGION AND AS SUCH THEY ARE FREE TO PRACTICE IT, BUT AS SUCH IT SHOULD NOT BE FORCED DOWN THE PUBLIC'S THROAT BY THE COURTS.

There is no difference between the courts saying that you can not have the ten commandments in a public building, than the courts making the ruling that all public school students must wear yamakules!! Both are enforcing a religious belief on the public, and both are wrong.

13. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Ha ha ha ha ha! Nope, never seen Christians trying to impose their views on others. We don't have a whole slew of laws dealing with everything with from private, consensual sex to businesses being closed on Sunday. You're a pill, FTW.

• Like Like x 1
  14. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +510 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

Those are laws based on the views of society has a whole, and not based in any particular religion. And they are laws enacted by elected legislatures! Not summarily imposed by one JUDGE!!!!

The "blue laws" in Mass. were both enacted by and retract by the General Court which is how it is supposed to work.

15. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

So religions do push views on others, but that's OK as long as it's the majority religion. And don't give me the whole "not based in any particular religion", because businesses have to be closed on Sundays, not on the Jewish sabbath on Saturday. And businesses have to close for Christmas, not for Yom Kippur. So NOW I see where you're coming from, it's ok for the majority to force their will on the minority, it's just those pesky athiests you don't like. You're a caricature.

16. FreeTedWilliams

Ratings:
    +510 / 48 / -7

#75 Jersey

Again those laws were not imposed by religions they were imposed by legislatures!!! It's called CIVILIZATION!!! rules of conduct agreed upon by a majority of the people. Religion is rooted in almost every law their is, starting with adherance to those pesky little ancidotes that Moses brought down from the mountain....

You know, thou shal not kill, steal, covert they neighbors wife, cattle, etc...

Most every law on the book can be traced to some sort of religous base. Again I could care less about what people do to themsleves or with themsleves, but all civilizations need some sort of base for conduct. And when the mood of the people changed, laws against sodemy, etc are repealed.

Nobody has to close on Christmas, they choose to. Any store can close on Yum Kippur if they want to also. When I was in college, we got Yum Kipper and NOT Good Friday off, yet I did not go to court and cry about it.

Once again you are making the mistake of thinking that it is "Freedom from religion" when it is actually "Freedom of religion".

I never siad that I did not like atheists, I could care less what anyone thinks, all I care bout is how they act.

Chick-Fil-As are all closed on Sundays, that is the choice of their chairman, which you have to admit is his perogative.

17. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And when somebody sues to enforce their rights under the constitution, or a statute, it's not the religion imposing laws, it's the courts imposing their interpretation of the laws, as is their job.

You don't live in MA, so I understand why you may have missed this, but Boston Police have gone in and shut down Super 88 the last couple of Christmases because the had the gall to open.

You can't have one without the other, because something in my religion (or lack thereof) may disagree with something in yours. Don't give me that crap about thou shalt not kill coming from the bible, therefor we are a Christian nation, either. Judeo-Christianity doesn't have a monopoly on obvious conclusions like don't kill your neighbor. They come from the Golden Rule (do unto others as you want them to do unto you), and anything beyond that (like that whole sodomy business, when it's consensual), is just people trying to force their will on others.

18. 3 to be 4

3 to be 4 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

what laws pertaining to private, consensual sex are you referring to?

19. Patters

Ratings:
    +479 / 19 / -17

For goodness sake, religious folk have fought in the courts and politically against gay rights, abortion, irreverant programming, for and against the death penalty, for Creationism, against the use of Happy Holidays as opposed to Merry Christmas, for taxpayer funding of religious schools, for tax protection for religious groups, for faith based initiatives, to preserve the special rights of straight married couples, for the display of Christian artifacts in public places, for making Christianity more of an official religion, for prayer in school, and the list goes on. These initiatives were not done as part of a secular moral drive, they were done in the name of Jesus. Many religious groups are constantly trying to impose their narrow view of their religion on the rest of us. Atheists are almost invisible.

20. Pujo

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Are you serious? Many states still have bans against oral/anal sex (even within the confines of marriage) and cohabitation. They've only been unenforcable since the Supreme Court struck down the ban on sodomy around the year 2000. There were laws against contraceptives (even for married couples) until the Supreme Court struck them down in 1965.