PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Couple of TC Observations from August 9...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrylS

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Ventured up yesterday PM with a couple of friends, weather was bearable with some cooling showers...

-Big crowds, thinned out somewhat after the day camps left..

-Seemed like a lot of work on special teams and red zone offense

-Edelman, Price and Welker are fielding punts.. Edelman looks intense and very quick

-Buddy Farnham played some defensive backfield, can you spell versatile

-Ridley and Price look impressive, Ridley is quick and looks strong.

-Mallett looks like he is starting to get this whole thing.

-BJGE looks solid.

-Hernandez lined up at TE, last week when was there he was with WR's, he and Smith looked impressive, Yeatman was also noticeable.

-when Solder and Vollmer stand together they are very tall. Solder looks like he is getting it, but hard to tell in this controlled situation. Really good to see Mankins in the fold, he plays mean.

-the linebacker rotation is difficult to follow, sometimes it is Fletcher and Mayo in the middle.. one time noted that Mayo was on the outside.

-the D line rotations are also difficult to follow, as there are so many d linemen and they are moving people in and out. There are so many new numbers, spend as much putting on glasses and looking at the daily roster than watching the play.. so after a while just watched.

Good day.. the rain held off, not too hot, about 3 hours of watching Patriots practice..

Thanks Darryl, great to hear some good analysis of the current practices. Thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date.

I keep hearing nothing but great things about Edelman...all off-season with his workouts with Brady...and so far, all of the 14 practices of training camp.

Anyone who thinks that we're even considering getting rid of Edelman is absolutely kidding themselves. He has potential to continue to be an exciting punt returner, and provides a critical backup role as a slot guy. Any bad yr talk from last yr was overrated IMO. I still believe it had a lot to do with the changed personnel and offensive philosophy, and that is what limited his role somewhat.

I've heard terrific things about BJGE too. Funny how so many (again, for the 3rd yr in a row) figured him to be at a much reduced role due to the potential of an NCAA running back in Vareen. Obviously BJGE feels differently, and if he has one more good showing (has improved every yr IMO) I can only hope that he starts to get more respect. On that note, has anyone heard whether or not he was extended or simply signed his tender as of yet? I know there were rumors last wk that he may have been extended, and no one was talking. Just wondered if anyone had heard anything else?

Price and Ridley---that'd be great if one or both stepped up and contributed nicely this yr. Great to hear positive things so far from them.

Last edited:
BJGE signed his RFA tender.

Thanks Darryl, great to hear some good analysis of the current practices. Thanks for taking the time to keep us up to date.

I keep hearing nothing but great things about Edelman...all off-season with his workouts with Brady...and so far, all of the 14 practices of training camp.

Anyone who thinks that we're even considering getting rid of Edelman is absolutely kidding themselves. He has potential to continue to be an exciting punt returner, and provides a critical backup role as a slot guy. Any bad yr talk from last yr was overrated IMO. I still believe it had a lot to do with the changed personnel and offensive philosophy, and that is what limited his role somewhat.

I've heard terrific things about BJGE too. Funny how so many (again, for the 3rd yr in a row) figured him to be at a much reduced role due to the potential of an NCAA running back in Vareen. Obviously BJGE feels differently, and if he has one more good showing (has improved every yr IMO) I can only hope that he starts to get more respect. On that note, has anyone heard whether or not he was extended or simply signed his tender as of yet? I know there were rumors last wk that he may have been extended, and no one was talking. Just wondered if anyone had heard anything else?

Price and Ridley---that'd be great if one or both stepped up and contributed nicely this yr. Great to hear positive things so far from them.
I, too, have read nothing but good things about this guy. I really am happy for him and hope that he begins to get some more respect from the fans and media alike. However, I don't want anyone to hype him too much because he'll start to drink the Kool-Aid and we'll lose him to a team willing to overpay him.

Cannot understand the ambivalence about BJGE.. udfa, nice kid, low maintainence, north south runner, seldom looses yards and has never fumbled.. a consummate Pats blue collar player.

He was showing some pass catching prowess yesterday.. what is not to like about him???

I saw similar things in the practice I attended. It really looks like Edelman is ready to step up. He did seem quicker and with better hands. Maybe there's a lesson here. If Brady isn't going to spend some of the off season in the area, fly to California to work with him. It sure hasn't hurt Edelman and Welker.

He also looked bigger, but maybe that's me! It looks like he will again be getting punt duties. My only concern is the amount of opportunities he'll get. It's going to be hard with Welker in front of him.

I was pleasantly surprised with Riddley. I thought he'd be slow and only a bruiser. He looked like the Vareen scouting report. One cut and he hits the hole. Maybe it was only one practice but he was catching the ball well out of the backfield. That would certainly help give him more opportunities. Although BGJE looks like he's ready to continue where he left off.

For a change the Pats have a stable of young backs with speed,power and hands......

Gotta like the chances of them really mixing up the offense early until the timing is there between Brady and the WR's....

I was pleasantly surprised with Riddley. I thought he'd be slow and only a bruiser. He looked like the Vareen scouting report. One cut and he hits the hole. Maybe it was only one practice but he was catching the ball well out of the backfield. That would certainly help give him more opportunities.

Agreed, the reports on Ridley's quickness are one of the best surprises in camp. Speed and quickness really seemed like the only knock on him. Aside from that: good size, vision, power, and hands, and active in pass support. And what really struck me from college clips was his balance and body control. No arm tackling this guy, he's too hard to get off his feet.

-when Solder and Vollmer stand together they are very tall.

Nice insight. Question... are they only tall when they stand together?

Sorry, I HAD to mess with you a little on that one... just jumped out at me, it did make me laugh so thank you for that! :D

Thanks for the TC update! :cool:

Cannot understand the ambivalence about BJGE.. udfa, nice kid, low maintainence, north south runner, seldom looses yards and has never fumbled.. a consummate Pats blue collar player.

He was showing some pass catching prowess yesterday.. what is not to like about him???

Nothing. He's good at what he does. Unfortunately, he doesn't do everything you need out of a RB, which is why he's augmented by other players with dissimilar skill sets.

Agree with you completely. I've seen the 'Edelman will be cut' comments, and couldn't disagree with them more.

I was there as well.

I agree with the OP's impressions of Edelman - quick, intense, all business.

Brady knows exactly where Hernandez is anytime he is on the field. It's obvious that Hernandez has gained TB's confidence.

I wasn't especially encourged by Ochocinco. Maybe he was a later option in much of the stuff they were running yesterday, but Brady didn't seem to look his way very much. They did spend a fair amount of time talkiing together toward the end of practice.

Lee Smith looked very good, particularly in the red zone drills.

Where is Gostkowski? Chris Koepplin handled all of the FG attempts, showing a pretty strong leg.

Mallett is huge. Question for him is accuracy. Even in basic drills without defenders, he had trouble yesterday delivering the ball on the money, often a step ahead or behind the receiver.

Last edited:
Mallett is huge. Question for him is accuracy. Even in basic drills without defenders, he had trouble yesterday delivering the ball on the money, often a step ahead or behind the receiver.

It wasnt Mallet, Buddy Farnham and Darnell Jenkins were a step to slow or to fast on those ones :D

If we cut Edelman I can guarantee you he will be in white and green and terrorizing us like Woodhead did to the Jets.

Edelman has some serious spark and I'm really excited to see him get more playtime this year.

... Brady knows exactly where Hernandez is anytime he is on the field. It's obvious that Hernandez has gained TB's confidence. ...

Very glad to hear this.

Does anyone know if Hernandez worked with the WR squad last TC as much as he has this years TC?

Find it interesting that he may be lining himself up against CB's this season.

If we cut Edelman I can guarantee you he will be in white and green and terrorizing us like Woodhead did to the Jets.

Edelman has some serious spark and I'm really excited to see him get more playtime this year.

Even if Edelman was not in the plans, he would still have considerable trade value. There are too many teams that would want/need a "Welker".

Atlanta comes to mind for one. Not sure if that Dexter dude is the answer in KC.

With the surplus of guys we have, it seems that guys who are on the bubble would get value back in trades. 3-4 guys would most likely be in demand.

Waiting for them to be cut is a dicey proposition.

I can see Edelman having trouble making the game-day actives. But I can't see him getting cut.

Does one trade a guy like that for a low pick, freeing a roster slot for a youngster? I'm guessing not.

I wasn't especially encourged by Ochocinco. Maybe he was a later option in much of the stuff they were running yesterday, but Brady didn't seem to look his way very much. They did spend a fair amount of time talkiing together toward the end of practice.

I wonder how safe Ochocinco's job is right now with Price Emerging. i cant imagine the patriots are very happy about his 'living with a fan' BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots