Welcome to PatsFans.com

Couple flee to save their unborn baby from social workers

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

:eek:

Couple flee to save their unborn baby from social workers after girl, 17, is told she is not clever enough to look after her child

By Alison Smith Squire
    Last updated at 12:03 PM on 07th November 2009
    Comments (401) Add to My Stories

A heavily pregnant woman and her fiance have gone on the run after social workers threatened to take away their baby at birth.
    Kerry Robertson, 17, and Mark McDougall, 25, had been told that she was not bright enough to raise their child and that they would have to give him up.

It was another blow for the couple, whose wedding this year was halted just 48 hours before the ceremony in a row over whether Miss Robertson was intelligent enough to marry.

Miss Robertson, who is 29 weeks pregnant, has since been told the couple will be allowed only a few hours with their baby - a boy they have already named Ben - before he is taken into care and placed with foster parents.
    Desperate to keep their family together, the pair fled their home yesterday for a secret safe house.

Read more: Couple flee to save their baby from social workers after girl, 17, is told she is not clever enough to look after her child | Mail Online
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

I was a child welfare worker from 1973 to 1982, and have always had many friends in this field.. I moved to corrections when I left the Child Welfare side.. a few comments...

1. There is no official comment by the agency, it is a very one sided article,does not even say the agency refused to commment
    2. The reason for removal defies any international or national standard that I am aware of..
    3. sounds like somewhat of a ruse to this viewer... and the beef is more about the denial to get married.
    4. Usually what happens, is that the women has a baby and the agency's hands are tied until they receive a complaint, Child Welfare systems are not pro active, rather reactive to a specific abuse or neglect complaint.
  3. efin98

efin98 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It is over in the UK...rules and regulations may be entirely different there
  4. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

Still there are international standards... I doubt the veracity of this article, no way does any agency in the world want to take in another child and care for it, based on a woman's intelligence... it is much better for the child to stay with the mother..

This is very poor journalism.. and there is absolutely no corroraboration of this girls story.. in this article.

One reason they may do it, if the dad was a sex offender...

Here is one report that may shed some light on the whole picture.. if you read between the lines of agency speak, it seems as though there are concerns about the relationship and the mom may be in a relation that is exploiting her...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/scotland/article6910055.ece

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +259 / 10 / -11

If there's any truth to that story, it shows there's a social worker on the loose who is too stupid to be a social worker. Here's a little more info.

UK State to Take Unborn Baby | The Brussels Journal

Social services claim Kerry cannot understand what marriage means, because she has learning difficulties. They are mild, it seems. She is able to read and write, and is going to college to “catch up.” Her partner Mark told the Daily Mail: “'I didn't even know she had learning difficulties until we'd been dating for two months.”
  6. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

The more I think about this would put my money on daddy is a diddler... the agency cannot violate confidentiality if he committed offenses as a minor, so the girl and BF blame it on her intellectual deficits... the agency is between the rock and the hard place, it happens often.
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +502 / 6 / -2

A kiddie didler? How do you read the story and come to the conclusion that the baby is being taken away cuz the father is a kiddie didler? :confused:
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

They let Madonna keep her kids.
  9. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

If you read the subsequent article it speaks to the possible exploitation of the mother..and refers to another incident, it makes no sense to take a baby away from a mother due to intellectual deficits..which seem to be mild.. if that were the case their would be about a gazillion kids in foster care..

The agency cannot violate the confidentiality of the woman or man, so they cannot really say what the real issue... the man and woman go to the press and claim it is due to intellectual deficits of the mom..and the agency cannot really say what the issue is..

When I read exploitation.. that is usually agency double speak for some type of sexual stuff... just my experience from being on the other side, that is all..
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

They let Pelosi's parents keep her, look what happened......:singing::singing:
  11. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +256 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Obvioulsy the girl's father should have had her labotimized before she could bring this kinda shame to there family name........

I too question a 25 year old guy getting a 17 year old mentally impaired girl pregnant. BUT THIS IS WHERE THE GIRL'S PARENTS SHOULD GET INVOLVED, NOT THE STATE!!!!!

Looking to the government to fix everything is going to be the absolute death of us! Remember if the government is big enough to give you everything, they are also strong enough to take everything away from you...............
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

Did you read the thread... ??? It does not appear that you did... lobotomy is an interesting parental choice.. guess about 30 years in prison would be appropriate.
  13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Calm down before you have a stroke - it's not our government.
  14. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

It's "humanity, deceny, kindness, love" no matter what government does it, liberals should be outraged at something like this.
  15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +560 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

How, then, do you explain your outrage, Harry? You ought to be jubalint at the thought that the state is not letting certain members of the population procreate without interference.
  16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

It all depends on who the "procreatee" is, there is bad and good all around us, I would never shoot the good one, just the bad one.
  17. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +256 / 38 / -4

#75 Jersey

Obvioulsy you don't know your Kennedy family history, or you would have gotten that one...
  18. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

Sometimes it is difficult finding the relevance in a decision that was made, and socially accepted 68 years ago...
  19. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +649 / 2 / -9

She embarrassed Old Joe.
  20. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +358 / 11 / -27

you probably embarassed your parents also...