Welcome to PatsFans.com

Countries considering chemical castration for sex offenders

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Oct 3, 2009.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +601 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

This makes for a good debate ... chemical castration. something to be considered? Easy to say try it ... but we have the civil liberties thing going on in this country where the guilty often have more rights than the innocent ... well, my opinion anyways. My grandmother said it best ... "cut it off".

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +364 / 8 / -3

#11 Jersey

Chemical castration is already in use in The United States to some extent - most of it voluntary but some of it court-ordered and mandatory.

In America, the drug Depo Provera, a progestin, has become the prominent means of chemical castration.[4] In 1966, John Money prescribed medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA, the base ingredient now used in Depo Provera) as a treatment for a patient dealing with pedophilic urges. He became the first American to employ chemical castration.[4] Despite its long history and established use, the drug has not been approved by the FDA for use as a treatment for sexual offenders.[4]

At least nine states in the United States (California, Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Louisiana, Montana, Oregon, Texas, Wisconsin) have experimented with chemical castration [4]. California was the first state to use chemical castration as a punishment for sex offenders. In cases in which the victim is under 13 years of age, California judges may require first-time offenders to undergo chemical castration. After a second offense, treatment is mandatory.[8][9] In Iowa and Florida, offenders may be sentenced to chemical castration in all cases involving serious sex offenses. As in California, treatment is mandatory after a second offense. Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal signed Senate Bill 144 June 25, 2008, allowing Louisiana judges to sentence convicted rapists to chemical castration.[6][10][11]

[edit] California
    Following the passage of a modification to Section 645 of the California penal code in 1996,[12] California became the first U.S. state to enact compulsory chemical castration as punishment for child molestation.[13] This law stipulates that anyone convicted of child molestation with a minor under 13 years of age may be treated with medroxyprogesterone acetate (brand name: Depo Provera) if they are on parole and if this is their second offense.[12] Offenders are required to accept the chemical castration treatment.[13] The passage of this law led to similar laws, such as Florida's Statute Section 794.0235 which was passed into law in 1997.[14]

Chemical castration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like a good idea to me, although I can see some problems in enforcing it.

But then again, I also think your grandmother's got a pretty good solution, too.
  3. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +344 / 6 / -8

I'm agin it. Put 'em in prison, keep 'em in prison, don't whine that you don't have the cells while you waste 'em on the unwinnable drug war.

PFnV
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Not sure if there has been a sex offender who committed one offense, and not sure that there ever has been successful tx for these offenders... not sure they should spend their lives in prison... but they need a high level of supervision, accountability and segregation from their target population..

Chemical castration is one option, castration is another... if they choose neither... then they should be separated from society.
  5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Your friend and humble narrator doesn't like the sound of that...

[​IMG]
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I find it EXTREMELY interesting that two of these countries, France and Poland, are for chemical castration, and yet are such staunch supporters of a pedophile RAPIST like Roman Polanski