PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Counting on Rookies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren STARTED AT NT WHEN Ted Washington was injured for over half the season.
Aaahh, memory. In my earlier post, way back on this thread, I confused Keith Traylor with Ted Washington and Wilfork's first year with his second. Getting old. Gingko pills, anyone?

Interesting statistic: on the average 3% of rookies start game 1. Of the 704 starters this year 25 are rookies(yes, 3%). This doesnt include guys like DMF, Gholston, Stewart or guys that will get alot of reps,just full time guys. We are the only winning team starting more than 1, and 2/11 on D=18%---thats 6x higher than a "average" team...The only other starting CB is Flowers on KC, the only other LB is Lofton on ATL.

OK, I'd like to officially dismiss these figures as pure bunk. I went through the first round draft choices myself, and here's the reality:

Of the 32 first-round picks, 27 will be relied on significantly from day 1 as either starters (including 2-man RB platoons) or nicklebacks. 27 of 32. When the player isn't starting, it's not a sign of fabulous veteran depth. On the contrary, it's almost uniformly bad news:

- Derrick Harvey was drafted to start, but held out and missed training camp.
- Gosder Cherilus was drafted to start, but couldn't beat out the JAG incumbent.
- Kentwan Balmer's coach explains that Kentwan "didn't play a lot in college" and just isn't ready for the NFL yet.
- Vernon Gholston...well.

In other words, good rookies contribute, and their teams rely on them. Everywhere.

After all that discussion, Mayo was the only rookie to play significant snaps in the first game, according to Reiss. Obviously, he did exceptionally well, but notably Wheatley didn't play at all, losing his job to a guy who was picked up from the waiver wire.

Neither did Wilhite or Crable play.

Guyton, the rookie UDFA, played 3 snaps.

So except for his high first round pick, and a few snaps for a UDFA, Belichick left all his rookies on the bench in the first game.

After all that discussion, Mayo was the only rookie to play significant snaps in the first game, according to Reiss. Obviously, he did exceptionally well, but notably Wheatley didn't play at all, losing his job to a guy who was picked up from the waiver wire.

So except for his high first round pick, and a few snaps for a UDFA, Belichick left all his rookies on the bench in the first game.

I'm pretty sure Sanders played corner and ONeal played in sub packages.

I wouldn't say Wheatley lost his job. Hell we don't even know what his job was/is going to be this year.

I wouldn't say Wheatley lost his job. Hell we don't even know what his job was/is going to be this year.
He did lose his job for that game. We all believe, including me, he'll be taking significant snaps by the end of the season if not by mid-season or earlier.

But there's no denying he lost his job for last week, considering in pre-season he was on the field plenty, and he lost it to a guy signed that week. I think that tells you something about rookies and veterans and who Bill counts on in the early games.

Last edited:
He did lose his job for that game. We all believe, including me, he'll be taking significant snaps by the end of the season if not by mid-season or earlier.

But there's no denying he lost his job for last week, considering in pre-season he was on the field plenty, and he lost it to a guy signed that week. I think that tells you something about rookies and veterans and who Bill counts on in the early games.

Preseason time doesn't mean much. Chad Jackson got a bunch of time too.

We all ASSUMED but didn't actually KNOW how BB planned to use Wheatley in weak 1. For all we know Wheatley was designated to be in on certain plays or packages that never came up, and that designation didn't change before and after Oneal. We just dont KNOW, we can only assume and guess.

Point taken about being in uncharted water. Context added for the number of linebackers and corners selected in the first 2 rounds before this year...none (Wilson excepted for playing safety). Lets look at picks in the first 2 rounds and their ability to contribute in their rookie season (defense in bold):

Klemm - Don't recall how much he played, but not a factor.
Seymour - Major contributor for Super Bowl winner
Light - Major contributor for Super Bowl winner
Graham - Significant opportunities but struggled a bit
Branch - Significant opportunities and a reliable contributor
Warren - Significant opportunites with generally positive results
Wilson - Major contibutor for Super Bowl Winner
Bethel - Significant contributor on special teams but limited as a receiver
Wilfork - Significant opportunities with generally positive results
Watson - Expected to get significant opportunites but got hurt
Marquise - Not a contributor (drafted as insurance for Seymour contract issues)
Mankins - Major contributor
Maroney - Significant opportunites with generally positive results
CJackson - Minor contributor with limited opportunities
Meriweather - Minor opportunities to start but significant contributor later

So of the picks that had significant opportunities available to them, I would say that only Klemm flopped. CJack didn't earn enough opportunities to make a bigger contribution and Graham was inconsistent. From looking at the defense specifically, it looks to me like players don't get opportunities until they are ready...but when they do take the field they do very well. If Mayo and Wheatley have shown enough to get significant snaps on Sunday, I see no reason to expect them to struggle.

I believe part of the genius of Belichick is that " ...the best players play". He doesn't push high draft picks or others into jobs, until they have proved to him they are ready, in practice.

This approach is encouraging to other players too. They see that Belichick doesn't "play favorites". The fact that he would cut a CJax even though a high draft pick, has to impress the Team as well.

Mayo like Mankins was ready game one. Seymour earned his start in his 6th game. The only guys who must perform are Mayo and Wheatley, this season. Mayo has already done well. Wheatley will have to earn his reps. It's also time for Meriwether to demonstrate he was a first round pick at Safety.

It's taken three seasons for Pierre and four for Cassel. Guyton like Woods, will be a three or four year development, I predict. I think Wheatly will get some snaps this season though, gradually increasing, similar to Meriwether last season.

We won a title with Seymour as the anchor of our Dline, and Samuel as the best CB in our secondary. Both rookies at the time.
Huh??? Samuels was not even a starter in his rookie year..much less CLOSE to the best corner back. The starters were Law and Poole and they were in all games in 03. Samuels was better in 04, with 12 starts at CB..taking over for Poole early as he was injured. Samuels was out a few games with a shoulder injury and finished the season opposite Gay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back