Welcome to PatsFans.com

Countdown Ratings Up Sans Keith Olbermann

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Mar 30, 2010.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +556 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It wasnt so much the "host" as it was what was going on during that time ....

a little thing called the Healthcare debate and votes

although Lawrence O'Donnell is quite good.
  3. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +556 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

You like Olbermann ???
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Funny you should ask.

My mom was visiting this weekend, we get to politics quite quickly. She is a proud "Tea-Party" activist in Maine. We get at it often...screaming, swearing, what not...

She explains to me that she only watches the 6 O'clock nightly news......on FOX. And that is her source for everything. Unacceptable in my view, but thats how she views the world. We got into the topic of FOX hosts, and who we liked and didn't like. I gave her my very short list of hosts I liked on Fox (Shep Smith) and those I don't like (almost everyone else). I know them, because I watch FOX often enough to get each hosts schtick....HUme, Hannity, FOX and friends', Beck, O'reilley, frickin Cavuto....

I probably watch more CNN than any other cable news, mainly because I can see the bias of both FOX and MSNBC. The News Hour on PBS is probably the best, and most straight forward reporting there is.

I asked my mother to give me her list of people she likes and dislikes on other networks, she couldn't. All she could say was that all other networks were biased...besides FOX.

I think that describees you average FOX viewer.

I enjoy Olbermann, mainly because he and I agree on a ton of issues. If you haven't figured that out by my posts, then you are not reading them carefully enough. I do understand his liberal bias, and he doesn't shy away from that. In fact, I believe his show has one of the largest, percentage-wise, opinion...Mainly because his show is a discussion between a bunch of liberals.

The most informed, and fair liberal comentator BY FAR is Thom Hartmann. I'll take him in a debate with just about anybody. I agree with what he says at a rate of 99.9% Funny how he doesnt have his own show on a network.
  5. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +556 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

Good stuff ... ... :eat2:
  6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

I'd say I'm surprised that more people tune in when he's gone, but....
  7. IcyPatriot

Ratings:
    +556 / 4 / -12

#87 Jersey

I pretty much watch all of them at various times. I prefer intelligence even if their demeanor isn't the best. I watch him at times. He seems arrogant and a bit full of himself but he has info ... and I like info and he is very intelligent.

I can watch him ... even if I don't really like him .. no big deal either way for me. I was just very surprised because I figure these are mostly lefty and democrats tuning in ... mostly the base ... unless I'm wrong here. I figured a few here might know more than me ... so I posted it. He's more watchable than Hannity or Cavuto IMO even though they are smart also.
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +350 / 8 / -3

#12 Jersey

MrP likes him - he drives me nuts. (Keith, that is, not MrP.)

He's everything I hate in a "newscaster." He's loud, he's full of hyperbole and hysteria, he's opinionated (which is fine, just not on a supposed "news" show) and he's got a mean streak.

That's just me, though. I tend to like my fiction and my fact separated and my men smart enough and skilled enough not to need to resort to histrionics.
  9. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +348 / 0 / -1

#54 Jersey

Indeed. I regard him as the Glenn Beck of the left. :eek:
  10. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Color me surprised. :rolleyes: Just look at all the people (myself included of course) who can't even take him on Sunday Night Football. I refuse to watch the pregame show because just the sound of his voice or sight of his plastic hair nauseates me. He's a complete narrow minded D.B. And it's not just his politics. I can't stand Bill O' Rielly either. Who would also probably get better ratings if he weren't on his own show.

[​IMG]
  11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 6 / -8

Huh. Can I "megaditto" Holy Diver on this one? It just seems wrong...

The Mrs. is right, but I have to clarify. CNN is news, the real networks are okay, Fox is funny/infuriating, and MSNBC is my version of "Screw you guys I'm going home."

Every now and then Olbermann comes up with a killer reference, then beats you over the head with it of course, but it's quite satisfying to see him go off on these benders, because it's "safe." Pretty much what the rightie watching Fox thinks, but I don't run around saying "MSNBC is the only network that really has news on it." In fact, the opinion shows are just that, and the real news is better plenty of places. Olbermann and Rachel Maddow are guilty pleasures for me, but not my "sources."

The News Hour is great, but I liked it better with McNeil and Lehrer - classic team of no-glitz, simple, straightforward news anchors.

I also love seeing BBC world service, and more far-afield foreign broadcasts (like the Russkies, the Chinese, the French, etc.,) all of which I'll happen upon from time to time when channel surfing deep into the triple digit channels. This isn't because I'm British, or Chinese, or Russian, or French. It is because it is instructive to see what those guys think is reality, and it makes you realize definitions of sanity are local. The Brits are great that way, because they have identical issue stances to ours for the most part - but it all looks very different across the pond.

Can't stand that Prothero guy though... :D

PFnV