PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Couldnt have hoped for a better ending this MNF game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little are talking about Tate shoving Shields out of the way....blatant offensive pass interference BEFORE the bogus TD

Not to mention the bogus PI, and the bogus roughing the passer on the drive before that.

Without those 2 calls, the Seahawks wouldn't have had such good field position.

Actually the Packers wouldve had an INT.

Heard this just now and did not know it until heard it.

For those that might think the memory of tonights ending might shake off quickly, that was the first time in NFL history that a game winning touchdown was scored as time expired. So I guess that means we might have had scores as time expired that were not game winning and we might have had scores that won games but were scored with a little time remaining on the clock. Lots of history tonight.

What a joke! Goodell should be fired posthaste for this debacle.

That decision will probably affect GB's entire season.

Its just a horrible call on 2 or 3 levels.

I'm glad it went down on back to back games. These refs crumbled under crowd pressure 2 nights in a row and that is never suppose to happen. Mark one down for the little guy against corporate greed. Just go in there and bargain in good faith and I think both sides will be able to meet a middle ground.

I didn't watch the game last night, and quite frankly I'm glad that I didn't. I can't believe that they called that a TD. I love the Patriots and I love Football, but this is the first time in my life that I'd rather watch a Baseball game than any Football.

Conspiracy Theory.. Goodell is complacent about this issue, as it masks "bountygate" and all of the injury lawsuits it is facing..

The tail wags the dog...

Anyways it sucks...

Does that mean you'll be walking over to Robert Kraft and asking him to sell the Patriots for his involvement in the replacement officials fiasco given Goodell is acting on the owner's behalf?

The whole scenario is a farce but let's not pretend it's just Goodell's fault.

Last edited:

Who would fire (and hired) Goodell? The owners. Whose agenda is Goodell carrying out? Take one guess...

If the owners actually wanted the regular refs back, they'd be back in a heartbeat.

I've seen the Seahawks get robbed before, it was in a Superbowl with supposedly elite regular officials working the game.

As for the call, in slo motion it appears that Jennings initially had two hand possession at the top of grab while Tate had one hand on the ball and his other closed on it as they fell to the ground where both retained possession. Trouble is this wasn't reviewable by rule once the initial call was made of simultaneous possession, and in real time the guy who made the call was approaching from the front while the one who approached from behind seemed to be looking into the pile before he signaled time.

And as for the scrum pre catch, that is never called in a hail mary situation.

I get that the replacement reffing has been rough at times, and it's appeared worse because of the indecisiveness within crews in getting the call out and because of some ball placement miscues especially when ajudicating multiple offenses. There had been fewer offensive and defensive holding and PI calls until this week, and the uptick impacting defenses may be the fault of the league handlers who are coaching them up on the fly and may have emphasized to them to pay more attention to those rules where DPI and the chuck rule are concerned this week.

It was never going to be an ideal situation. But we forget that it never was ideal even with the vaunted regulars in charge. I think the coaches and players and media have done all they could to make the appearance seem worse than it is. And I don't believe it will get them what they think they want. Nor will they be happy when they eventually get back what they seem to miss.

If a regular official called that a simultaneous catch, and that is not something that would surprise me, it still would not be reviewable. What these guys lack is command of the game and a clear understanding of the tortured rules of engagement that the competition committee has adopted in this league over the last decade. But those rules have always been unevenly enforced. And obvious mistakes have always been made. There were calls for Ed Hoculi's head not long ago for totally screwing up a game he and his crew officiated. Anyone remember the famous non INT in the Colt/Steeler AFCC game that was somehow upheld on review? Or the faceguarding call against EHIII when no such penalty exists? Or the phantom Roethlisberger SB TD? Hell, for years Jeff Tripplette's crew was notorious for phantom game changing PI calls particularly in any Colt games they officiated.

The league is trying to either bring the NFLRA to heel or break it's union in part so it can do what fans and mediots have been wailing for for years, transition to full time officiating with the ability to replace guys who consistently make questionable calls and grade out poorly. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. They're not going to roll over just because of bi-polar, storyline driven media pressure to just settle, any more than they did when it was the actual players they were looking to regain control over. The NFL world won't end because of poor officiating in one season any more than it has in the past. More people than ever are watching the sport if only to see how many OMG calls they can identify game to game. It's becoming like a sport within the sport...

I didn't watch the game last night, and quite frankly I'm glad that I didn't. I can't believe that they called that a TD. I love the Patriots and I love Football, but this is the first time in my life that I'd rather watch a Baseball game than any Football.

I'm glad you didn't too because if you'd witnessed what the Seahawks front 4 did to the reigning MVP and his OL much of the night you'd be curled up in the fetal position for the next two and a half weeks...and even more inclined to switch to a sport where everyone cheats but there's no contact.

What an absolute joke! I've watched the play 25 times and all 25 times the ball gets intercepted. How can they give the game to the Seahawks? How can they watch instant replay and STILL give it to the Seahawks?!?!? Hopefully this weekend has raised some eyebrows. Something must be done.

Just think, the studs from last year are now... NE 1-2, GB 1-2, NO 0-3

The studs have those records but can anyone say they really have confidence in the validity of ANY team's record?

When the real refs return I think part of the fix should be to reset everyone's record to 0-0. These refs are beyond laughable and their efforts should be wiped from the record books.

I wonder if I am the only one who is no longer angry, but rather just bemused by the whole Goodell Keystone Cops NFL. They are now laughably absurd like pro wrestling.

If something is not done, and soon, Goodell may succeed in diminishing the NFL to something unrecognizable, and unwatchable.

But there is good news and bad news here;

The good news is that once you have a particular crew ref your game, they won't be assigned to your games again.

The bad news is "Have you seen how bad the OTHER ref crews are"?

the incompetence

Slayer - Disciple - YouTube

our team should have this pumping in their helmets for the rest of the season...i guarantee wins and a better defense

Last edited:
As an aside. If the PI on scrums pre hail Mary catches aren't called then offenses should practice purposely "taking out" defenders with their guys to improve their chances of catching the ball.

If something is not done, and soon, THE OWNERS may succeed in diminishing the NFL to something unrecognizable, and unwatchable.

Fixed that for you.

Last edited:
I was one of the people who believed that the replacement refs wouldn't be that much worse than the real ones. Wow! Was I wrong.

Time to make a deal. I don't care who is wrong.

After seeing both marquee games get decided by questionable/downright shady calls that went in favor of the home team, trhere's really only one reasonable conclusion left: if the regular officials aren't back by this weekend, then the league simply doesn't care about the quality of its product.

They don't need to care. We'll still watch and buy tickets, so why would they need to budge? It's about $ and that hasn't been affected.

Ravens win on a missed field goal and the Seahawks win throwing a pick, great week of football :rolleyes: . Herm going ham on these guys on Mike & Mike lol. Why isn't this guy a game day commentator?

I've seen the Seahawks get robbed before, it was in a Superbowl with supposedly elite regular officials working the game.

As for the call, in slo motion it appears that Jennings initially had two hand possession at the top of grab while Tate had one hand on the ball and his other closed on it as they fell to the ground where both retained possession. Trouble is this wasn't reviewable by rule once the initial call was made of simultaneous possession, and in real time the guy who made the call was approaching from the front while the one who approached from behind seemed to be looking into the pile before he signaled time.

And as for the scrum pre catch, that is never called in a hail mary situation.

I get that the replacement reffing has been rough at times, and it's appeared worse because of the indecisiveness within crews in getting the call out and because of some ball placement miscues especially when ajudicating multiple offenses. There had been fewer offensive and defensive holding and PI calls until this week, and the uptick impacting defenses may be the fault of the league handlers who are coaching them up on the fly and may have emphasized to them to pay more attention to those rules where DPI and the chuck rule are concerned this week.

It was never going to be an ideal situation. But we forget that it never was ideal even with the vaunted regulars in charge. I think the coaches and players and media have done all they could to make the appearance seem worse than it is. And I don't believe it will get them what they think they want. Nor will they be happy when they eventually get back what they seem to miss.

If a regular official called that a simultaneous catch, and that is not something that would surprise me, it still would not be reviewable. What these guys lack is command of the game and a clear understanding of the tortured rules of engagement that the competition committee has adopted in this league over the last decade. But those rules have always been unevenly enforced. And obvious mistakes have always been made. There were calls for Ed Hoculi's head not long ago for totally screwing up a game he and his crew officiated. Anyone remember the famous non INT in the Colt/Steeler AFCC game that was somehow upheld on review? Or the faceguarding call against EHIII when no such penalty exists? Or the phantom Roethlisberger SB TD? Hell, for years Jeff Tripplette's crew was notorious for phantom game changing PI calls particularly in any Colt games they officiated.

The league is trying to either bring the NFLRA to heel or break it's union in part so it can do what fans and mediots have been wailing for for years, transition to full time officiating with the ability to replace guys who consistently make questionable calls and grade out poorly. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. They're not going to roll over just because of bi-polar, storyline driven media pressure to just settle, any more than they did when it was the actual players they were looking to regain control over. The NFL world won't end because of poor officiating in one season any more than it has in the past. More people than ever are watching the sport if only to see how many OMG calls they can identify game to game. It's becoming like a sport within the sport...

After week 1 I was pretty much in agreement with your position. Calls didn't seem too much different than the regular officials and I think that they mostly tried to keep it to just the most obvious of penalties. Week 2 I think the replacements refs gained a bit more confidence and were attempting to call more especially as players were beginning to push the envelope. There were more obvious bad calls but as you stated there is a human error component of football that is an accepted part of the game. Week 3 was a total abberation, for at least a few games. There was almost 500 yards in penalties between the Sunday night and Monday night games, which did nothing but showcase their unpreparedness for games at this level and stage.

Of course the media is highlighting these plays more than they normally would, but even taking that into consideration its clear that some of these games are being negatively impacted.

Now I also don't have a problem with the NFL wanting to break the Refs union. I have no love loss for some of these old refs. But what I do have a problem with is the way the league has addressed the situation and the position they have put the players, coaches and teams in. I have a hard time thinking this was the best job they could have done to ensure that it didnt come to this. There was a certain level of arrogance to Goodell and the league that none of this would matter to the games and I think they need to pay the price for that stupidity now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back