PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Couldnt a team simply just screw w/ the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
Lets say Denver wants to mess with the Pats, couldnt they say they would pay him 8 mill a season, but then turn around and say they wont trade for him because the compensation is too high, never really having any intention of paying him that contract. meaning Chayut could come back and say he's worth 8 mill a year on the market. Just a theory, but isnt this a possible scenario.

And there may be teams REALLY willing to pay $8M if Branch were a free agent.

R_T26 said:
Lets say Denver wants to mess with the Pats, couldnt they say they would pay him 8 mill a season, but then turn around and say they wont trade for him because the compensation is too high, never really having any intention of paying him that contract. meaning Chayut could come back and say he's worth 8 mill a year on the market. Just a theory, but isnt this a possible scenario.

R_T26 said:

Well, it's like W.C. Fields used to say - a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on!

Payback is a ***** so no, it's not all that likely. Although teams may have been whispering sweet nothings in his idiot agents ear all along that he now finds out was just bs small talk. No offer he would get has any validity until it is in writing, and BB is just diabolical enough to stick them with their new $8M WR and they know it.

He isn't getting $8M anywhere but in Chayut's dreams. Phony offer that sounds like it, maybe. But not a deal that pays him say $22M over the first three seasons of a 6 year $40M deal like Wayne got. Deion wants $12M minimum up front or guaranteed. While some teams have cap, few have cash for double digit bonuses a week before the season. And the only teams who might be willing to extend themselves are the ones like us who have no #1. Anyone with one can't afford to piss him off in the process.

Belioli always do their due diligence. Chances are they assessed and even gauged his trade value over the last 48 hours and they know where any real interest might lie and that that interest does not extend to both overpaying and compensating them for the twig.

Right on Mo. I don't know why so many fans here seem to think that Belioli is a cretin, unable to think through a series of options and responses. Hell, that style of decision tree analysis permeates the Pats org. Does anyone here READ the numerous books on BB & Co? Infallible they're not. Thorough on the conceivable details they are.

MoLewisRocks is right. The Pats could screw THAT team by calling their bluff and sticking them with a vastly overpaid small receiver that hurts their cap for years (if they're willing to meet Chayut's number).

If the Pats get something halfway decent in comp from the other team for a player they probably would lose next year for almost nothing and said other teams wants to commit financial suicide, I say BB/Pioli should tip the chair!

This week is going to be psychologically fascinating!

Last edited:
Let me get this straight. You would take a 2nd or 3rd round draft choice for Branch just to stick to Philly? You guys are nuts! And BTW, are you the same posters who have said that the last five Indy contracts would put Indy in cap hell?

And BTW, why should any team show their final offer to the patriots. Those details are between the team and Branch. Whether the full details of the contract are better than the supposed Patriot contract is between Branch and his new team. And just maybe, Branch won't feel bad about sticking it to the patriots and take the same deal from Philly that he could have gotten here.

My personal belief is that several teams will indicate that they would pay Branch a contract with a $10M signing bonus and averages more than $6 million a year if he were a free agent, but that they value their draft choices and will not give the patriots a first IN ADDITION.

Last edited by a moderator:
If a team's willing to pay someone $8m, that player must be worth a 1st round draft choice.

What will be interesting will be the Pats reaction if somebody's willing to that. I feel like we're loaded and ready to do serious damage this year, and that's not a time to be losing your #1 WR when you've already lost your #2.

What good is a 2007 draft choice when your WR's are depleted and your goal is to win this year's SB? So I don't think we make a trade, even for a #1. Now if you were getting a good WR in return plus a 2nd-3rd rounder, I could see that.

mgteich said:
M: Let me get this straight. You would take a 2nd or 3rd round draft choice for Branch just to stick to Philly? You guys are nuts! And BTW, are you the same posters who have said that the last five Indy contracts would put Indy in cap hell?

S: Now THERE'S a balanced team with depth that never runs out of gas in January!

How many consecutive years must we watch this "Tortoise and the Hare" story before someone starts questioning Polian?
M: And BTW, why should any team show their final offer to the patriots. Those details are between the team and Branch. Whether the full details of the contract are better than the supposed Patriot contract is between Branch and his new team. And just maybe, Branch won't feel bad about sticking it to the patriots and take the same deal from Philly that he could have gotten here.

S: All the Pats care about is the COMP they get from the other team (as they should). If Branch wants to play for a ham sandwich from the 49ers, BB/Pioli will gladly take their first rounder. But if it's an AFC team, BB/Pioli will make sure that other team doesn't get a steal.

M: My personal belief is that several teams will indicate that they would pay Branch a contract with a $10M signing bonus and averages more than $6 million a year if he were a free agent, but that they value their draft choices and will not give the patriots a first IN ADDITION.

S: "If" "If" "If". If my Aunt Jackie had a mustache, she'd be by Uncle Jake.

Great! Veto by the "Deciders" - - The New England Patriots. Branch has been digging in his heels in this walkout as it is. The Pats lose nothing with this move.

The Patriots aren't the supplicants in this drama. They aren't begging other teams for their draft choices or players. They now get to sit back, fold their arms and see if any of the other teams measure up in trying to please BB/Pioli in their offers. If no one measures up, worst case scenario is that Branch goes back to doing exactly the same thing he was doing 24 hours ago. Obviously, they saw that there was no real hope in the current Branch situation and had nothing MORE to lose by doing this.

Great move.

ten characters

Last edited:
Shmessy is right. the patriots lose nothing.

They could gain something if Branch finds out that he is worth little to other teams and crawls back to a patriot contract.

mgteich said:

They could gain something if Branch finds out that he is worth little to other teams and crawls back to a patriot contract.

As things stood yesterday morning, the Pats obviously felt that Branch was not going to crawl back to them in any circumstance.

So yes, they lose nothing by making this move.

Last edited by a moderator:
mgteich said:

My guess, if that were true, the New England Patriots would settle upon the draft compensation.

Two words everybody - Chad Jackson - he IS that good. Her hammy will heal and he will contibute more than anyone is saying. Mark my words.

Sure, Deion and Chad would be great, but not for 7 or 8MM - not a chance.

What seems to be swept under the rug by the enemies of Bill (yes, Ron Bogus , you know who you are, along with your newly brainwashed Felger buddy) is the fact that the Patriots offers were very fair and were never countered.

I do not see where the Patriots have done anything wrong here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back