PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could we be Getting Ready to Trade Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year the Patriots cut 3 of their 9 draft choices. The players cut were not even good enough to make their practice squad. Why trade down to add more choices that aren't going to make the roster?

Of the 11 players on the Patriots' starting offense, only 4 were drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft. The more picks you have, the more chances to find a Julian Edelman, a Bryan Stork...or a Tom Brady.

Of the 11 players on the Patriots' starting offense, only 4 were drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft. The more picks you have, the more chances to find a Julian Edelman, a Bryan Stork...or a Tom Brady.
The Patriots can make up for the loss of a few late round draft picks by investing more heavily in the
higher rated UDFAs. Last year, they only spent $47,000 of $80,000 allotted bonus money. They
have a lot of UDFAs on their roster including Allen.

The Patriots are not preparing in March to trade up in the draft on April 30th. At #32 you really have to see how the draft falls and what players that you rate highly drop to a few slots above you.
The same can be said about trading down. If a team calls about a player that you won't take then you make the deal, but that is not done until just after he team in front makes their pick.

I agree, is really specific to both the individual prospects and what they feel the depth in the draft is. If they think the second through fourth round are strong they may trade down but if they think they are weak and a player they really like is within range they could do it. Either way we won't know until the draft is underway.

Unless there's some great player that really unexpectedly falls, I would prefer they stand pat at 32 and take BPA, or trade back slightly. The best move would be to snipe guys in rounds 2 & 3, maybe move up slightly in those rounds to get a guy who falls there.

I think that that is what will happen.
Value guys for positions we need or could use improved developmental depth will abound in RNDs 2 & 3.
I think we'll get a 3rd round comp pick as well so our late 3rd & early 4th are trade up a few picks ammo to get guys we prefer. Maybe even more ammo from trading out of 32.

I don't think this draft is mediocre, Chasa.

The Dline, Oline, Wr and Rbs Class are very good and deep. There may not a flashy player like Clowney, but i think there are good players throughout the 3 days (hence the reason i am not high on trading up. I would like more picks rhis year)

I'm curious on why you think otherwise

not a single can't miss prospect at any position, this is a draft where a team that wants to make a statement is capable of putting their team in quicksand for a couple of years.

there is only one CB in this Draft that is a lock to be a good player and he may
go in the top 10. at DL all of the top pass rushers will be gone by pick 15 same
with WR, they would have to trade up to high to get any of does players.

but they could stay at #32 take the best players that falls or one of the top three RB's and then maybe trade up in round two to get a G but i don't see a trade up in round one

Even if it means dumping a Jeremy Gallon or a Jon Halapio along the way. :)

I'd trade up for Byron Jones if there was a run on CBs in the backend of the first I also like the idea of trading up for the right player in the 2nd (OL) or 3rd (RB/DL) if someone slips.

If people are going to make this argument, they should probably acknowledge the obvious when doing so:

1. Part of that is because of the team's OL philosophy of not generally taking IOL in early rounds, and relying on the QB to deal with middle pressure
  2. Part of that is because BB has been neglecting the 'O' in order to fix the 'D' (6 of last 7 1st round picks, 9 of last 14 2nd round picks, and 5 of the last 10 3rd round picks (so 20 of 31) have been on defense), and counting on TFB to make it work.
  3. Part of that is because the team missed on so many picks in the 2nd and 3rd round during the rebuild, especially from 2006-2009, which has forced the team to play 'catch up' on that defense, and re-draft positions.

Take Brady out of the equation, and see where that method gets you.

We will indeed get a 3rd from Talib or this is still to be judged by the compensation system?

As much time and $ I spend every year getting info on the players in the draft, it's still a crap shoot. Witness that 2 former 1st round picks are holding "pro days" at the meetings in AZ, Felix Jones and Adam Carriker.

Having said that, if a guy like Malcomb Brown slides to #28 or #29, and the Patriots feel that there is a good chance that a team ahead of them wants him, then I'd pull the trigger for a trade up.

We will indeed get a 3rd from Talib or this is still to be judged by the compensation system?

We will know for sure today or tomorrow. It is projected that is what we will get as a comp pick.

http://overthecap.com/draft
Click on the link and over to the left is the projected comp picks. Patriots are projected to get a 3rd and 7th. On the right, is the projected rookie salary structure.

I think Belichick is looking forward to the summer cuts and getting whatever we need via cut or trade at that time ... if you don't have cap room in the summer makes it more time consuming to quickly take advantage of any opportunities that will present themselves. With great skill and a bit of luck at the draft we won't need to grab any summer cuts - but nice to have room if need be. Perhaps a scan of the rebuilding teams rosters may shed light on any veterans that may be shed at that time.

If people are going to make this argument, they should probably acknowledge the obvious when doing so:

1. Part of that is because of the team's OL philosophy of not generally taking IOL in early rounds, and relying on the QB to deal with middle pressure
  2. Part of that is because BB has been neglecting the 'O' in order to fix the 'D' (6 of last 7 1st round picks, 9 of last 14 2nd round picks, and 5 of the last 10 3rd round picks (so 20 of 31) have been on defense), and counting on TFB to make it work.
  3. Part of that is because the team missed on so many picks in the 2nd and 3rd round during the rebuild, especially from 2006-2009, which has forced the team to play 'catch up' on that defense, and re-draft positions.
Take Brady out of the equation, and see where that method gets you.

All good points, though it's noteworthy that the 2005 team had 5: Watson or Graham/Light/Mankins/Branch/Dillon

And that 2007 had 5 as well: K. Brady or Watson or Stallworth/Light/Mankins/Moss/Maroney

So the current edition isn't that much lighter on first three rounders than other seasons.

I was able to predict a few Pats trades up in the past when need, player caliber and cost all fell into alignment

Gronk, Jones, Hightower. I called all of those.

This year I don't think it happens at least in round 1. The difference between the player likely to be at 23-26 as opposed to 32 is not that big for key need positions.

It is possible in the second round though.

I will predict one trade down of one of our later picks cause BB HATES sitting out a round and not having a pick for the 5th will haunt him.

My sources tell me the Patriots are going to move up in order to draft an outside pass rusher or wide receiver who can stretch the field. Trading up and going after those positions are a hallmark of the Belichick tenure.

All good points, though it's noteworthy that the 2005 team had 5: Watson or Graham/Light/Mankins/Branch/Dillon

And that 2007 had 5 as well: K. Brady or Watson or Stallworth/Light/Mankins/Moss/Maroney

So the current edition isn't that much lighter on first three rounders than other seasons.

Brady makes such a big difference in how you must/can approach your offense via the draft that he almost makes it so that his teams should automatically be noted as exceptions to how you want to build around your QB. He and Rodgers are very similar that way.

As Darryl pointed out, the Pats don't really go mad in free agency when the gun sounds, as many other team do. They are historically more active with the 'value' agent in June 1st cuts.

The last time I can recall the Pats trading up (I assume you are referring to the 1st round) was Jerod Mayo in 2008. The Pats tend to amass draft picks and trade down when possible, following a "best available" player mentality. With all of the claims of a draft rich in possibilities I have heard from the so-called draft experts on radio and in articles, I would be surprised to see the Pats sacrifice picks to snag a specific player.
Didn't they trade up for either Hightower or Jones?

Brady makes such a big difference in how you must/can approach your offense via the draft that he almost makes it so that his teams should automatically be noted as exceptions to how you want to build around your QB. He and Rodgers are very similar that way.

And this is one of the least attributes people note about him and probably will not be carried in his resume when he retires. Brady is basically the only way you can draft in the bottom end of the draft for 15 years and still be competitive year after year. Ok sometimes we have lacked a few weapons to help him but it's impressive how he makes things work no matter what his supporting cast are. That's for me tells me he is in the GOAT conversation even more than 4 SB rings. Brady is not the product of a system, he is the system, he is and has been the offense of NE for the past 15 years playing with JAgs to OK guys most of the time.

I love and trust BB but we could even make the case that with such an unique asset (BB never had to worry about the QB position unless for backups nor had any kind of instability) that take away the need for draft or trade at the most important position of all sports that every team eventually have to go through that cycle in a 5-10 year spam and basically makes things work with everyone, he should have done even better, but I'm not gonna complain, it's all good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye