PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Tory Holt be the #2 WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they keep 6.

Edelman may be the odd man out, especially if Welker is back.

Is he eligible to go back to to the practice squad?

If Edelman is gone, look for the Chiefs to grab him. He would be a good fit for Cassell. That is if Cassell can still be number 1 in KC which may be in doubt.

No way Edelman gets cut. Even if Welker's back, they can both be on the field at the same time. He's too much of a proven commodity to not keep.

wut about Edelman? 2 TD catches a playoff game ain't too shabby.

Sounds like Edelman is ideally suited to play at slot (behind Welker) and Tate at flanker (behind Moss). What we need is a split end, and from the sounds of it it seems like Tate's skills are more suited for that role.

I think they keep 6.

Edelman may be the odd man out, especially if Welker is back.

Is he eligible to go back to to the practice squad?

If Edelman is gone, look for the Chiefs to grab him. He would be a good fit for Cassell. That is if Cassell can still be number 1 in KC which may be in doubt.

Wait wait wait.........you think they're going to cut Edelman?

Tate is definitly the real deal, but remember, these roster spots have a way of working themselves out. Training camp is long and players get hurt.

Moss
Tate
Welker
Edlemen
Price
Holt

They will keep 6 receivers, Aiken doesn't count.

What are the chances he could play along side Moss while Welker is out. I mean i loved him in St Louis but has since dropped off.

Have you ever tried to divide by zero?

Tate is definitly the real deal, but remember, these roster spots have a way of working themselves out. Training camp is long and players get hurt.

Moss
Tate
Welker
Edlemen
Price
Holt

I know Aiken would not see snaps at WR and be strictly an ST'er, but he does count when looking at affecting depth at other positions. 3 TE's seems to be a lock this year. We could go with 4 RB's, but considering age and injury history at that position, that could be dangerous. 2QB's? possibly. You may be right and they keep 7 wr's, but I don't see it. That's why I'm not sure Holt makes this team. We know how much BB values Teams (as he should) so Aiken isn't going anywhere. Tough decisions, but a good problem to have.

Reports or opinions of posters? There is a big difference.

I think Holt is going to be very productive for us.
He is a smart, disciplined, talented receiver even if he has lost a step.
I think he is an excellent fit at WR for Brady.

Not arguing about Holt's resume however, in the slot you have Welker and Edelman, they are locks. On the outside Moss and Tate will start (Tate seems to be getting the reps and taking advantage of his opportunities). Price while a rookie seem to have skills and would not make it to the PS.

IMO you are looking at Aiken and Price for the 6th WR slot. I think there is a good chance that barring injury Holt doesn't make the team. The key is Price's development. Price struggles maybe Aiken is cut and Hold is the #3 outside guy, Price doesn well Holt is expendable and Aiken makes the Team.

Aiken ace ST player, Holt no ST value.

Moss
Tate
Welker
Edlemen
Price
Holt

They won't keep 6 + Aiken as a ST guy no way not enough roster spots. Especially if they keep 3 TE's.

I'd rather cut Aiken than Holt or Edelman. If that's what it comes down to. Aiken may be an excellent ST player, but the Pats have a bunch of those already. The question would be more Aiken vs Slater. Who gets the ST slot?

My guess for the outside spot opposite Moss will be a rotation of Tate and Holt. Tate will be the big play guy, and will be the one who gets all the fans excited, but I fully expect by the end of the year that Holt's precise route running and excellent hands will earn Brady's trust and he will recieve the bulk of the snaps.

I'd just like to add my name to the list of those proclaiming that, IN A MILLION YEARS, there is no way the Patriots CUT Edelman. Jeez...

If Holt is our #2 WR, we are in trouble.

I'd like to see Tate win the job. But I have high hopes for Price.

Until i see Tate in a real game scenario and see what he can do..then ill believe in him. I know hes having a kick ass TC...but i really want to see what he can do in game scenarios.

If Holt is our #2 WR, we are in trouble.

I'd like to see Tate win the job. But I have high hopes for Price.

To me the pecking order goes Moss, Welker, Edelman, Tate, and either Price or Holt with Price definitely having a roster spot.

I think Holt's going to be competing for snaps with Edelman this year. With the way things are looking, we know Moss is going to be the flanker while Welker is the WR2 (in the slot) and it sounds like the split-end is Tate's job to lose. That would leave a competition between Edelman and Holt for the other slot position. Of course this depends on Welker's health holding up and Tate continuing his impressive camp with an impressive preseason. But as of right now, I have to think that this is the way things are looking. All of this also isn't taking into account that we'll probably see some 5 WR packages this year with Hernandez also lining up in the slot as an H-Back.

True. I just think Holt is a very smart route runner. Always has been
Yes, a better route runner than Tate, given that Tate is a basic rookie. But it is more than smart route running, otherwise Jerry Rice and Troy Brown would still be playing.

Last edited:
I think Holt's going to be competing for snaps with Edelman this year. With the way things are looking, we know Moss is going to be the flanker while Welker is the WR2 (in the slot) and it sounds like the split-end is Tate's job to lose. That would leave a competition between Edelman and Holt for the other slot position. Of course this depends on Welker's health holding up and Tate continuing his impressive camp with an impressive preseason. But as of right now, I have to think that this is the way things are looking. All of this also isn't taking into account that we'll probably see some 5 WR packages this year with Hernandez also lining up in the slot as an H-Back.

I think Tate will be the split end but I also think they will get Edelman and Welker on the field together alot and I think in the end Edelman and Tates reps will be pretty similar while Moss and Welker continue to be 90%+ snap guys and that wont leave much for Holt and a developing Price

now consider TEs could play a bigger role and all the sudden you dont have enough to go around

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Back