PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Tory Holt be the #2 WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady_to_Moss

28-3....
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
What are the chances he could play along side Moss while Welker is out. I mean i loved him in St Louis but has since dropped off.

I just hope he does not retire now

Sounds like that is Tate's job to lose right now

Welker will be ready week one.

Edelman would likely have the leg up on 3 but Tate looks good and price does too and there is a lot of camp to go. I think after Moss and Welker there will be a lot of options and a lot mixing and matching (TEs included).

Holt might need BB to carry 6 WR in order to make the team.

Last edited:
Welker will be ready week one.

Edelman would likely have the leg up on 3 but Tate looks good and price does too and there is a lot of camp to go. I think after Moss and Welker there will be a lot of options and a lot mixing and matching (TEs included).

Elderman is Welker lite, so he probably would not be a option at third.

What are the chances he could play along side Moss while Welker is out. I mean i loved him in St Louis but has since dropped off.

What makes you think that Welker won't be available for the start of the season?

I doubt he's gonna be the #2. Although with his route running abilities/veteran presence I think he has a spot on this team

Tate was very impressive today. I was there. See Mrs B's afternoon camp report. Tate is the guy.

I was wondering if Holt even makes the team. I saw Tate today too, very impressive. 5 locks would seem to be Moss, Welker, Tate, Edelman and Price. If they keep 6, don't they keep Aiken for ST's? If so, where does that leave Holt?

I was wondering if Holt even makes the team. I saw Tate today too, very impressive. 5 locks would seem to be Moss, Welker, Tate, Edelman and Price. If they keep 6, don't they keep Aiken for ST's? If so, where does that leave Holt?

I like to keep STs only guys like Alexander, Slater, and Aiken seperate from the depth position by position. IMO there is always the ability to carry an extra at any given position but it will cost you at another. I could see us Carrying 6 WR but it might cost an extra RB (BJGE or one of the Vets) maybe carry 2 QBs again or somethig like that.

Thats not to say that if you are fighting for WR 5 or 6 that STs doesnt help because it can keep on the team long enough to prove yourself.

IMO you keep Holt as WR6 because of vet insurance with the way we were thin last at WR I think you want to avoid that at all cost. He could even beat out some of the youngsters I am not trying to sell him short but I cant see them cutting any of these 5 (Moss, Welker,Edelman, Tate,Price).

Welker isn't going to be out, the premise is wrong.

Most likely it will be Moss, Welker and Tate in 3 WR sets but if Holt replaces anyone there it would be Tate not Welker.

I think they keep 6.

Edelman may be the odd man out, especially if Welker is back.

Is he eligible to go back to to the practice squad?

If Edelman is gone, look for the Chiefs to grab him. He would be a good fit for Cassell. That is if Cassell can still be number 1 in KC which may be in doubt.

he is not PS eligible and he is not getting cut no how no way.

Some reports put Patten ahead of Holt so far, so that can't be a good sign even if Patten retired. I think he will make the team however.

Can't see welker line up every down in the first few weeks. He could easily start the season at 3/lower in the bid to help the rehabilition.
No way edelman is traded or cut.

Last edited:
Some reports put Patten ahead of Holt so far, so that can't be a good sign even if Patten retired. I think he will make the team however.
Reports or opinions of posters? There is a big difference.

I think Holt is going to be very productive for us.
He is a smart, disciplined, talented receiver even if he has lost a step.
I think he is an excellent fit at WR for Brady.

Reports or opinions of posters? There is a big difference.

I think Holt is going to be very productive for us.
He is a smart, disciplined, talented receiver even if he has lost a step.
I think he is an excellent fit at WR for Brady.

I think he will be productive but not featured. I like Holt as a guy to help spread the field. Kind of like Faulk. He can hurt you bad when you are looking to cover other guys first.

I fully agree with that perspective. When Holt first signed the contract with the Pats there were comments from him saying he still has the ability, that this is a whole new beginning for him, and I got the feeling that he believes that with Brady as the QB, Moss lined up on the other side, that we, and the NFL, will see a totally rejuvinated Torry Holt.

I think he will be extremely productive.

And, I still believe that, if Welker is back, Edelman, unfortunately will be the odd man out.

Tate has far too much potential.

Holt has the experience and the smarts.

Price is getting good reports and has more potential than Edelman who really won't have a spot to play if Welker is back.

So, it would come down to Aiken and Edelman and Aiken showed some really strong deep threat potential last season.

I love Edelman but he just might be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

NFW

Edelman had a bad start of practise this afternoon before reverting to form and excellence. There is NO WAY, short of running over BB's dog, that Edelman gets cut. Holt goes 1st and I'm very excited about Holt.

Price is at the guy risk although as a 3rd pick and definitely not a stiff I can't see him snuck onto the PS.

Yes, Aiken had a couple great plays last season out of manny pissed away ones but watching him at camp you know he's a stiff, compared to his competition.

Last edited:
I fully agree with that perspective. When Holt first signed the contract with the Pats there were comments from him saying he still has the ability, that this is a whole new beginning for him, and I got the feeling that he believes that with Brady as the QB, Moss lined up on the other side, that we, and the NFL, will see a totally rejuvinated Torry Holt.

I think he will be extremely productive.

And, I still believe that, if Welker is back, Edelman, unfortunately will be the odd man out.

Tate has far too much potential.

Holt has the experience and the smarts.

Price is getting good reports and has more potential than Edelman who really won't have a spot to play if Welker is back.

So, it would come down to Aiken and Edelman and Aiken showed some really strong deep threat potential last season.

I love Edelman but he just might be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Edelman is going nowhere.
He isnt Welkers caddy, he played when Welker did last year too.
Personally, I think the counter to teams focussing on Welker isnt necessarily a down field threat, but another guy operating in the same area on the other side of the field.
We often use 4 wide on 3rd down, and their is a slot on both sides of the field. If you roll to Welkers side, Edlemans side is undermanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back