PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Pats Feature a Four Tight End Formation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I said Lloyd or Welker. Your're the one saying that I only said Lloyd and Welker. Why wouldn't a team want to run what, could be the most unstoppable formation in the National Football League? It's so silly.

alright so you obviously just want to talk crap about it so on that note...... Moving on!

Have a good night :D

I doubt we will see 4 very often but Hernandez is so versatile that 3 with him out of position creating mismatches is very likely. He can be used in the backfield, out wide, in the slot, or in tight and they can play off of that all day long, so 3 TE sets seem like the more likely scenario imo.

Out right plagerism... This whole article came entirely from a discussion message board on Boston.com EIGHT DAYS AGO started by ME!
Just goes to show how many media fakeos spend theit time TROLLING these boards to do there work. Realy weak!!! Check it out Era of the TE! back on about page three...

The Packers have run a 5 tight end formation so I don't see why not. Although they only used it inside the 20.

Out right plagerism... This whole article came entirely from a discussion message board on Boston.com EIGHT DAYS AGO started by ME!
Just goes to show how many media fakeos spend theit time TROLLING these boards to do there work. Realy weak!!! Check it out Era of the TE! back on about page three...

That is why I really thought twice when I posted this because Bleacher Report is such a group of low level writers.

Do you have a link for the Boston.com board?

pffft. Why stop at 4?

Cut welker, pay Jimmy graham $9 a year.

AH - Gronk ----- Oline-Fells----Shiancoe----Graham

I dare a D to stop this with Brady in the no huddle.

Ten Tight Ends & Tom Brady.....

has to be a Playboy shoot...

I read the article...correct me if I'm wrong but splitting out a TE means that player is a split end or slot receiver, which would mean Welker is off the field. Putting a TE at fullback means there is a fullback on the field being manned by someone with TE skills.

when someone says "a four TE formation" I interpret that to mean four TE's along the line, since that is where the TE plays...when Herno plays in the backfield he's an H back, not a TE...same as when he splits out wide, he's a WR..

Most if not all defensive coordinators base a significant chunk of their play-calling by taking a look at what position groupings and players are in a huddle. If there are 4 WR and a RB, the DC is calling some type of nickel/dime personal package and scheme. If there are 2 RB, a FB, a TE, and a WR, the DC is putting in his big uglies.

The defensive problem that a 4TE offensive with either a RB or a WR is what do you do to defend it? Do you put in the big uglies? Then the Pats will go at least three wide (WR, Gronk, Hernandez). And at least one of them is covered by either a LB or a safety.

Do you go nickel to defend the possibility of the Patriots going spread? Then Hernandez takes the handoff and runs behind the rest of the Tight Ends who are beating up on DBs that are 60 pounds lighter than them....

Rinse and repeat.

Actually, I think the way to defend a 4 TE alignment is with 3 DTs, 4 LBs, 3 Safeties (one of whom can cover, and the other 2 more in the box guys), and a corner to man-up the WR)

All this chatter about TE's is really comical considering it is centering around a team than has struggled to field 3 of them consistently ever...

Sorry, PlageTimer ~ you weren't exactly the first guy to advocate Expanded Tight End Formations!!
jester.gif

Sorry, PlageTimer ~ you weren't exactly the first guy to advocate Expanded Tight End Formations!!
jester.gif

obviously ON THE GROIN, you neither read the article nor the thread to see the nearly word for word and point for point retread of the original posts, before you made your inflamitory post.

Oh yea and congratulations on being able to post nearly 5000 times in 2 years. Continue to have a wonderfull life...on the web...

Last edited:
What would this formation be called? THE BIG CAT - a tribute to the wild-cat?

HEY! Don't use my name in vein! :D

I could see an overload formation of 3 TE's at on end, a fast WR on the outside to run deep routes, Fells at FB and a RB. Play action could be deadly.

Lloyd O-Line Gronk Hernandez
Viscoe

Brady

Fells

Ridley or Woodhead.

Could be a goalline formation, could be a base formation, could switch Vishancoe for Welker.

Kellen Winslow is being worked out by the Pats. Perhaps with the replacement Refs working the first game they may try a 6 TE formation...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back