PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Pats be a smashmouth offense this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flat out, you give the ball to your best player and let him make plays. For us this would be Brady. We employ the 3 WR spread offense to let Brady reduce the number of different threats. More good RBs and worse running D teams will bring a balance, but look for the passing game to dominate in the good weather early in the year, and especially the first halfs--to get the lead. If you take away the draws and the inside handoffs out of the shotgun our running game dwindles. Take away the threat of the pass and it is pathetic(see the preseason).
We are deeper this year at RB than WR(losing Stallworth, gaining Jordan), but that only is intended to leave us in better shape later in the year as attritition sets in. Getting Neal back(week 6-8 like Seymour last year)will be inspirational...but I contend that his play wont be the same(again like Seymour last year). Our OL I am afraid is now depending on guys like Flynn and Welbourn for the duration. I contend that we will be taking the inside and WR screens to new levels, blocking downfield in passing routes and keeping the D moving should tire them a bit to the point where they cant defend the random runs as well. The teams that will do the best against us will likely have fast/small defenses like Indy and the Broncos.
For the record, I am still thinking we should have taken Branden Albert for the OL, ahhhhh hindsight!

I don't have a football background, so please help me out with what that means. Do you mean if Evans and say, Maroney, are lined up in an I-formation and Evans motions? Where would he go and what would that mean?

He can pick which side he motions to , which might not seem like a big deal, but it allows you to dictate to the defense,where and when. If you have a TE on one side of the formation and he motions, the D can check out of what they are in and then sometimes you'll see the te go back across the formation. They did this allot against Miami in the past except they would put the TE in the backfield, then from there he would either stay or motion to Mr. Taylor depending on what front miami was in. Evans is not as good of a blocker as a TE per se, but he's definately a better piece in motion.

Thanks......

I think they will run the ball more, but they won't be a "smashsmouth" type of offense. They don't have the personel and their not physical enough. The only teams I can think about that have that type of team is the Cowboys and the Vikings. The Cowboys O-line looks really good this year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes