PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the Pats be a smashmouth offense this season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
If BB decides to keep 5 RBs on this roster I think it has more to do with being a smashmouth type of offense instead of just keeping 5 RBs for depth in case of injury.

I would not be surprised to see Brady throw for a bit less than 4,000 yards and less than 35 TDs this season so that the running game is being more in use and the team is eating up the clock smashmouth style instead of being used up like they were early last season and obviously looked like they were running out of gas after the 12th game because of the frenzied non stop passing offensive display for 3/4 of the year.

This team even with Moss and Welker on the field IMO should look more like the 2003 team than last years - Until about the 3/4 of the way when Brady may start lighting it up much more going into the later weeks of the season to get ready for the playoffs fresher than late last season.

Maroney of course is the key to smashmouth as he needs to keep the ball moving and Jordan,Faulk,Evans and Morris to get most of the tough yards and the OL also is key to opening holes to allow this type of offense as well.

It would be in the best interest of the team to play like this early,not only to keep the defense off the field longer, but to give Brady more time to fully heal from whatever his injury is.

Of course this all will also depend if the OL can handle the task and open holes for these guys

Look for those old days of 17-14 / 23-21 and scores like that down to the wire heart-stoppers,We should see plenty of them back this season - and hoepfully be on the better end of those scores like we were back then

I think those 48-7 scores like last year will be rare,at least until late fall comes around

Last edited:
with this O-line? I don't know. they have alot to prove if they can do that and handle blitz packages. with little time together i'm more worried about how they are going to handle blitz packages by KC.

The O-Line will have to make some huge strides for that to be possible. Not saying it won't happen- with the injury issues that we have right now I could see the line getting much better very quickly- but a significant change for the better will be necessary.

Last edited:
with this O-line? I don't know. they have alot to prove if they can do that and handle blitz packages. with little time together i'm more worried about how they are going to handle blitz packages by KC.

The OL, like I said will be key to this and I would love to see the Steelers type of smashmouth offense for a while till later on when the passing gets going more often.

I definately see the team at least trying to do this early in the season and if it works hopefully they stay with it for awhile ,If not then there would be no choice but to go crazy through the air again but I am not thrilled about seeing that as often as last season - It definately wiped the guys out later on and is evidenced by points scored dropping like mad as the season progressed late and into the playoffs.

If the team in week 1 beats lowly KC by a score of something like 21-14 by hopefully having a successful rushing game and killing the clock and keeping Brady out of harms way more often, it won't be shocking to me

Last edited:
No I don't think so but we will a pass happy team ... all the backs we now have and perhaps Maroney is the weakest can protect Brady. If we had two huge TE's i would think it ... but like someone said ... as long as Brady is a Patriot we will never be a running team.

The OL, like I said will be key to this and I would love to see the Steelers type of smashmouth offense for a while till later on when the passing gets going more often.

I definately see the team at least trying to do this early in the season and if it works hopefully they stay with it for awhile ,If not then there would be no choice but to go crazy through the air again but I am not thrilled about seeing that as often as last season - It definately wiped the guys out later on and is evidenced by points scored dropping like mad as the season progressed late and into the playoffs.

If the team in week 1 beats lowly KC by a score of something like 21-14 by hopefully having a successful rushing game and killing the clock and keeping Brady out of harms way more often, it won't be shocking to me

are you talking smash mouth tomorrow or week 1? If you want to improve the passing game get rid of cassel.

i don't think they'll ever be steelers smashmouth. what i'd like to see is them grinding games out when they are up at the end of a game to close it out or to combat against teams that are intent on blitzing them as much as the giants did last year.

No I don't think so but we will a pass happy team ... all the backs we now have and perhaps Maroney is the weakest can protect Brady. If we had two huge TE's i would think it ... but like someone said ... as long as Brady is a Patriot we will never be a running team.

we're lucky we have to midsize te's i guess:cool:

with this OLine? Sorry, I think I am repeating someone.
with this OLine? and these TEs?

No they will not be a smashmouth team, they will be a balanced team.

Ps. 10:01 on Wednesday, Sox 11-Yankees 2, how awesome is that?

BB is the best coach in the league. Why on earth would he trade 30 point wins for games that could be won by either team with something like, say, a helmet catch? Has he lost his sanity during the offseason?

Last edited:
No. the Offensive line is not designed for that. They don't blow people off the ball in the running game. They engage and [are supposed to] use quickness to manipulate defenders subtly to provide running lanes. The effectiveness of the passing game opens up the running game. With a less brilliant Qb, the Pats running attack IMO would be mediocre at best.

Other than Mankins there is not an elite talent on this line equipped to play "smashmouth" football.

That said, I expect the Pats to run the ball more often, and to do so with great success, as they did prior to Game 6 last season when Morris was still healthy. If they play that style they can win 14 games and keep Brady healthy.

I like you and everyone else in Patriot Nation does not know what type of injury/if any Brady has - If his injury does affect mobility even in the slightest ways for a few early weeks into the season then I think the running game is a bonafide solution.

I would rather see the OL fail to make holes for the RBs and the RBs have to push the pile to find ways to get free themselves than to have this OL fail to protect the franchise player thus killing the season.

Huh?

Ahhh guys, TB was the LEAST sacked QB in the league last year. I might add that it was the highest scoring offense in NFL history.

So we gut it?

Be like the Steelers? WTF? You mean the dudes who got blown out at the Razor 34-13?

Sorry to break the bad news but this is a passing league and your team has an all time great QB.

I expect to see Maroney in space more this year (especially if we only carry 2 TE's). Also, injuries can never be ruled out so 5 RB's make sense.

Let's see. Brady. Moss. Welker.

No.

Might we run or screen a bit more this year ? Sure we might. Smashmouth, true smashmouth ? . . . no way in hell.

BB is the best coach in the league. Why on earth would he trade 30 point wins for games that could be won by either team with something like, say, a helmet catch? Has he lost his sanity during the offseason?

yes he has.... he started dating and the woman is on his mind

The Pats OL is built to be athletic and mobile. They do not have any real drive blockers on the inside except maybe Mankins.

The key is can the line keep Brady upright and give him the time he needs to make plays.

I like you and everyone else in Patriot Nation does not know what type of injury/if any Brady has - If his injury does affect mobility even in the slightest ways for a few early weeks into the season then I think the running game is a bonafide solution.

I would rather see the OL fail to make holes for the RBs and the RBs have to push the pile to find ways to get free themselves than to have this OL fail to protect the franchise player thus killing the season.

I think this is the best group of QB protecting RB's that we have had since Corey Dillon and Faulk were doing the deed.

Good point, but I hope the Pats can have a more balanced attack. it would be nice for opposing defenses to have to truly respect the run AND the pass in any game situation. It was fun to watch the games where Morris was smashing through for good chunks on every down, then Brady would lite up the secondary.

I know the O-line won't be as good in the running game w/o Neal or Light but I'd like to see running backs making more plays on their own--like Lamont or Sammy breaking tackles, bulling through the LOS and forcing defenses to move their safeties up, regardless of whether the O-line is opening holes. (Maroney carrying defenders downfield would be nice to see too once and awhile). Not talking Steelers-like so much as Steelers-like plus Brady-like.

it will be what it has always been throw 35 times in one game and run 25 times in one if that matchup favors . We will again have the same debates like last 6-7 yrs about balanced attack but should know by now that although personnel dictate our offense BB isnt afraid to go against the "balance" convention.
Edit: the minnesota game 2 yrs ago comes to mind where we threw like crazy with doug gabriel and caldwell at receiver when everyone felt we will run the ball with maroney and dillon.

Last edited:
If BB decides to keep 5 RBs on this roster I think it has more to do with being a smashmouth type of offense instead of just keeping 5 RBs for depth in case of injury.

I would not be surprised to see Brady throw for a bit less than 4,000 yards and less than 35 TDs this season so that the running game is being more in use and the team is eating up the clock smashmouth style instead of being used up like they were early last season and obviously looked like they were running out of gas after the 12th game because of the frenzied non stop passing offensive display for 3/4 of the year.

This team even with Moss and Welker on the field IMO should look more like the 2003 team than last years - Until about the 3/4 of the way when Brady may start lighting it up much more going into the later weeks of the season to get ready for the playoffs fresher than late last season.

Maroney of course is the key to smashmouth as he needs to keep the ball moving and Jordan,Faulk,Evans and Morris to get most of the tough yards and the OL also is key to opening holes to allow this type of offense as well.

It would be in the best interest of the team to play like this early,not only to keep the defense off the field longer, but to give Brady more time to fully heal from whatever his injury is.

Of course this all will also depend if the OL can handle the task and open holes for these guys

Look for those old days of 17-14 / 23-21 and scores like that down to the wire heart-stoppers,We should see plenty of them back this season - and hoepfully be on the better end of those scores like we were back then

I think those 48-7 scores like last year will be rare,at least until late fall comes around

In short....NO!!!....Our offensive line is like a string made out of sh!t........since they haven't been able to run block since Corey Dillon left....but for some reason were pretty decent overall at allowing Brady time to throw......Don't expect great things from the run game.......Also, the best back we have may very well be Jordan....He is a smash mouth kind of guy and can kind of grind out his own holes......all we need is a "Antowain Smith" kind of production out of our RB anyways with the air assault we have......and to keep the D thinking......and we will be good......Maroney....is Maroney....and he will do great things if holes are opened for him....or if he catches a pass in the flat with some seperation....Look out!!!!!.......But....once again, with the way our OL has been blocking and opening holes....don't expect much from LoMo.......Go Pats!

it will be what it has always been throw 35 times in one game and run 25 times in one if that matchup favors . We will again have the same debates like last 6-7 yrs about balanced attack but should know by now that although personnel dictate our offense BB isnt afraid to go against the "balance" convention.
Edit: the minnesota game 2 yrs ago comes to mind where we threw like crazy with doug gabriel and caldwell at receiver when everyone felt we will run the ball with maroney and dillon.
Good post. Five RBs and a high-octane passing attack with two good TEs and a HOF WR means you can play to the weakness of the opposing defense. It also means (thinking of a game in February) that you can adjust on the fly to the defensive game plan and change your strategy to blunt theirs.

As for the oline, it's a mish-mash right now and that doesn't bother me because they have some talent. All the turnover and injuries during the preseason has left the line with greater depth (excepting O'C) than it had last year. By the end of the season, with Neal back from PUP, and the new backup veterans schooled in the offense, they'll be better able to deal with injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes