PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

could the end be very near for manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that he'll be 37 next year, I think "2 or 3 more years, tops" was a safe bet reagardless of his performance last week.

Good point. I forgot how old he was. With that said, Brady is 35 but looks fricken amazing.

Maybe he was afraid of being benched in favor of Colin Kaepernick midway through the season, :p

Yeah, given what's happened, I wonder if they were sort of lukewarm on Manning anyway.

This article makes me feel better about our chances.
If the Ravens barely beat the Broncos with knowledge that Manning couldnt throw deep; they won't have that same luxury against the Pats.

This article makes me feel better about our chances.
If the Ravens barely beat the Broncos with knowledge that Manning couldnt throw deep; they won't have that same luxury against the Pats.

... and three touchdowns on long balls that the Patriots are much less likely to give up these days. ...

I'd be curious to see stats on Manning this year, showing how often he actually threw deep. Could be that this was there all year and it flew under the radar?

Papa Bear instructed him to play only in the AFC.....hutt hutt.
The Fallout:
Engineers are currently filing into Denver ready to submit bids to bubble Mile High.
And Goodell has convened the rules committee to ram through a rule change involving altitude/temperature/precipitation that will allow a venue change if all variables reach critical levels.....at least until the bubble gets erected.

I don't know. Dierdorf said so many dumb things during that game it got to the point where my brain did a Lisa Simpson like "yeah, I head it too, here's some music"

I lost track of the number of 10-yard throws that "had something on it!"

Shouldn't be an issue as ESPN is going to invoke a clause in it's TV deal that allows the Bronco's to play all future play-off games with Manning in the nearest available domed stadium, whether they be home or away. I'm looking forward to Denver at NE in the Carrier Dome next January.

he has had strength problems all year

Peyton Manning has never won a Playoff game where the temperature was under 40 degrees at Kickoff.

Why he went to Denver was never clear to me, other than because of some fantasy that he could somehow emulate Elway and win an SB or two after the age of 35.

But you just look at Elway's face and you can see that it was "weathered" by years of playing in the icy elements of Mile High; Elway's face resembles that of a couple of hardass skiers I know who spend the winter outdoors in the cold and wind. Peyton, on the other hand, looks like a "Dome Boy" who is more comfortable on a warm sound stage making Papa John's or Buick commercials than he is playing in frigid weather.

Denver would owe him 24 million big ones next year if Peyton picks up his option; there's no way they can walk away from that in the eyes of their fans if Peyton decides to re-up. Since I doubt that Peyton would pass up that big a payday, he'll play next season.

But I'll bet next month's budget that it's his last year and that he won't put up anything near the stats he produced this season.

In many ways, I think that Saturday was Peyton Manning's "Last Hurrah."

Last edited:
I forgot where I heard this (NFL Network?), but he knew his arm strength would be limited as his nerves regenerated and focused on further developing his leg/core strength to enhance his throwing power.

At the beginning of the season, he was definitely limited to short to some mid range throws.

I'm not sure if another off season will allow him to get back to near full strength, but he'll get tested early/often next year as opponents break his play down.

Manning was declining as far back as 2010, and it was more than just a nerve issue. The surgery helped him some, and having a pair of big, talented receivers on the upswing helped more, but the basic problems still remained, and they come out when he's under pressure and in bad weather.

He can no longer get away with being less than mechanically perfect on a lot of the throws that perfect mechanics used to be unimportant for. Judging by the rate of decline I saw in his game this season, my guess is that, in the upcoming season, even perfect mechanics won't be enough for him to make all the throws. Barring a repeat of the "look what I found!" that Shanahan was able to pull off when he drafted Davis, next season is probably the last time that Manning will have anything more than a puncher's chance to get that second ring.

he has had strength problems all year

and old bodies don't heal the same way young ones do......I just don't see him turning back the clock....throwing almost 600 passes caught up with him in the playoffs......

"It was so out of character of Manning to force a pass across his body."

Rosenthal wrote this, and it's just not true. Manning was doing this all year, and being lauded for it.

Rosenthal also said Manning played well.

Manning was declining as far back as 2010, and it was more than just a nerve issue. The surgery helped him some, and having a pair of big, talented receivers on the upswing helped more, but the basic problems still remained, and they come out when he's under pressure and in bad weather.

He can no longer get away with being less than mechanically perfect on a lot of the throws that perfect mechanics used to be unimportant for. Judging by the rate of decline I saw in his game this season, my guess is that, in the upcoming season, even perfect mechanics won't be enough for him to make all the throws. Barring a repeat of the "look what I found!" that Shanahan was able to pull off when he drafted Davis, next season is probably the last time that Manning will have anything more than a puncher's chance to get that second ring.

Do you really believe the stuff you write? Manning was just voted All -Pro for the ninth time beating Rodgers by a 45-4 vote. Some decline. He carried his team into the playoffs but had a mediocre performance on a tough day. He must be finished?

And I guess you expect the other powerhouses in the AFC West to right their sinking ships quick enough to expedite Manning's retirement plans?

Last edited:
Manning was declining as far back as 2010, and it was more than just a nerve issue. ...

Now, my memory may be wrong, but wasn't that the year just before the season started when there was all this talk about Brady declining and how his contract would cause problems and there was a rift and all? ...

"It was so out of character of Manning to force a pass across his body."

Rosenthal wrote this, and it's just not true. Manning was doing this all year, and being lauded for it.

Rosenthal also said Manning played well.

Of course he did. The mainstream Manning-loving media is still in the denial phase of their grief.

I heard he audibled into the run on third and 7 before the Ravens got the ball back, and he also audibled the knee at the end of regulation. And that pick he threw to end the game had no gas on it. It certainly seems like he will have to have his pass attempts limited in the future if he is as recovered as he is going to get.

Do you really believe the stuff you write?

Yes. However, unlike you, I think before I write, so I understand what I'm actually posting. I understand that you usually just post unthinkingly, in the hopes that you'll get lucky and say something rational, but that's not my generally preferred style.

Manning was just voted All -Pro for the ninth time beating Rodgers by a 45-4 vote. Some decline. He carried his team into the playoffs but had a mediocre performance on a tough day. He must be finished?

And I guess you expect the other powerhouses in the AFC West to right their sinking ships quick enough to expedite Manning's retirement plans?

See, this is a perfect example of you not bothering to think before you post:

First, I didn't say that Manning was dead or that he sucked. I said he was declining. He, himself, is saying that he isn't the same player that he once was. In other words, you are arguing against the man himself.

Second, Manning wasn't the best QB in the NFL. He wasn't the second best QB in the NFL. Both Rodgers and Brady were clearly better QBs than Manning was this season, who was in a group behind them, along with Griffin, Wilson, Ryan and Roethlisberger. He didn't deserve to be All-Pro, he sure as hell didn't deserve to be first team All-Pro, and it's a freaking joke that he got the spot in a landslide. As for MVP, given that he's not even tops at QB, he doesn't even belong in the conversation, yet it'll come down to him and Peterson because he's getting the "great story" vote.

Last edited:
I'm going against the grain here. I didn't think his arm strength was much of a factor.

The Baltimore defense simply played well and held him to 21. No arm issues involved. Our own team couldn't score more than 17 in the Giants SB.

If he had his full arm strength might he made a few more throws? Probably.

It's not why he lost though. And the cold wasn't too too much of a factor either in my opinion. The D just played well.

Manning will be back

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill