PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Spikes play OLB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about trying Mayo at OLB?

Mayo reminds me more of a Jack Ham than a Jack Lambert.

He seems to have the speed for OLB.

Any thoughts?

Apparently you do not understand what 2 gap means.

:rolleyes: Even DL techniques can vary play-to-play and player-to-player in a 3-4: in the "Fairbanks-Bullough" 3-4, Ray Hamilton *never* played 0-technique at NT but Mel Lunsford almost always did. Sort of the whole point of a 2-gap 3-4 is for the DL to gap control so linebackers can make plays. Here's another reference for you:

A good example of a Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 defense is the Patriots defense. The Fairbanks-Bullough is commonly referred to as an 2-gap 3-4 system that gives teams the greatest amount of flexibility compared to other 3-4’s. The linebackers in this system are extremely versatile and are capable of doing any and everything on the field. (I.e.; Mike Vrabel) When you mix the roles of the four linebackers from play to play, you can cause mass confusion for an offense. The reason this system is a 2-gap system, is because the defensive lineman are required to cover the gaps on both sides of an offensive lineman. The defensive linemen in this 3-4 are very stout so that they can occupy the offensive lineman, and allow the linebackers can make plays.

Colorado Sports Desk Mike Nolan and the 2009 Broncos defense: What happened?

Why would we want him to play OLB? He's the perfect fit beside Mayo in my opinion. Besides, as mentioned countless time in this thread, he doesn't have the speed to play that position. I don't even want to imagine him dropping into coverage and trying to cover Dustin Keller or Anthony Fanasno.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. Spikes is an ILB. I don't think Guyton is an OLB either.

:rolleyes: Even DL techniques can vary play-to-play and player-to-player in a 3-4: in the "Fairbanks-Bullough" 3-4, Ray Hamilton *never* played 0-technique at NT but Mel Lunsford almost always did. Sort of the whole point of a 2-gap 3-4 is for the DL to gap control so linebackers can make plays. Here's another reference for you:

Colorado Sports Desk Mike Nolan and the 2009 Broncos defense: What happened?

I don't know who this guy you are relying on as your source is.
The point of the Bill Belichick 2 gap system is that the entire front 7 each control 2 gaps.
Are you seriously telling me that you think our LBs have no responsiblity but to run to the ball?
The fact that we don't play a vanilla 2 gap every snap doesnt change what a 2 gap is.
GO back to studying the internet, but find a better source this time.

I don't know who this guy you are relying on as your source is.
The point of the Bill Belichick 2 gap system is that the entire front 7 each control 2 gaps.
Are you seriously telling me that you think our LBs have no responsiblity but to run to the ball?
The fact that we don't play a vanilla 2 gap every snap doesnt change what a 2 gap is.
GO back to studying the internet, but find a better source this time.

It's theoretically possible that on a given play all of the front seven could end up playing 2-gap techniques. In practice, it would almost never happen. But you don't understand anything I'm saying. It's hopeless trying to communicate with you.

Last edited:
Nope. He could not play OLB. Maybe Mac. Definitely Guyton. But these are just guesses on my part.

THE GOOD NEWS
We have four players who are almost perfect for our system as ILB's and who should contribute at ILB and give us a solid ILB unit.

THE BAD NEWS
We have four players who are almost perfect for our system as ILB's and who should contribute at ILB and give us a solid ILB unit. None are likely to contribute at OLB's.

It's theoretically possible that on a given play all of the front seven could end up playing 2-gap techniques. In practice, it would almost never happen. But you don't understand anything I'm saying. It's hopeless trying to communicate with you.
Again, if you understood 2 gap, we could communicate.
I guess we just like bigger, slower LBs for our system that asks them to run to the ball instead of needing to take on blockers to control their area of the field.

I've got an idea! Let's do what the Bengals did and move a MLB (Rey Maualuga) that doesn't have great speed on the outside! What do you say? :rolleyes:

Maualuga is moving back to the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back