PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could someone provide the list of

Status
Not open for further replies.
what was his injury last year in Seattle? I know he only played 8 games but i forgot what he did.

staph infection in his right knee

got cut to save a lot of money and they are going young up in seattle

id be willing to take a chance on him, like they did last year with Chad Brown. Hopefully, Sharper would turn out better than Brown.

bigrichard93 said:
i think the sleeper FA is Sharper. He was a pro-bowler playing in the 3-4 for the Texans. Led the league in tackles in '03, he could be a good compliment to go with Colvin, Bruschi and Vrabel.

Sharper was brought in last year and then the Pats didn't sign him. He ended up signing with Seattle, I believe.

Maybe the Pats will bring him in to start next to Bruschi. If they do, that would definitely free up Vrabel to move outside, though I would rather keep Vrabel inside to learn the play calling because that was the biggest thing we missed last year inside while Bruschi was out. Someone who recognized plays and could call out the adjustments. Beisel was thrust into the fire there and his inexperience showed.

How many games did Beisel start at ILB with Bruschi or Vrabel at his side?

DaBruinz said:
Sharper was brought in last year and then the Pats didn't sign him. He ended up signing with Seattle, I believe.

Maybe the Pats will bring him in to start next to Bruschi. If they do, that would definitely free up Vrabel to move outside, though I would rather keep Vrabel inside to learn the play calling because that was the biggest thing we missed last year inside while Bruschi was out. Someone who recognized plays and could call out the adjustments. Beisel was thrust into the fire there and his inexperience showed.

mgteich said:

MG - What difference does it make? None at all. And it doesn't refute my statement in the least. What you are missing is that I am a BIG Beisel supporter.

The fact of the matter is that Beisel was thrust into the situation and his inexperience at the position showed. And he's needs to show in the film breakdowns that he can call out the correct assignments before I would have faith in his replacing Bruschi as the person recognizing and calling out the changes. All he showed last year was that he was better at it than Chad Brown. And that's not saying much.

Vrabel has proven that he is an experienced LB who can effectively play the ILB position and I honestly believe that he has the football intelligence to QUICKLY get up to speed on the calling of the adjustments needed for each play. Much more so than Beisel who has a combined 1.5 years experience playing LB compared to Vrabel's 5+ years.

mgteich said:

Not sure how many he actually started, but I do remember him playing next to both. IIR, Brown was benched and Vrabel took over at ILB, and then Bruschi came back and I do remember him Beisel in on many plays with Bruschi with Vrabel moving the outside.

I remember Bruschi not only shaking off Beisel's calls, but pointing out where he should be on the field. As soon as the ball was snapped, however, Beisel was quickly and easily taken out of the play by the OG or C.

DaBruinz said:
MG - What difference does it make? None at all. And it doesn't refute my statement in the least. What you are missing is that I am a BIG Beisel supporter.

Yeah, that! And his wife is uber hot, too. Enough there to keep him on the roster!:D

jct said:
1. Martin Nance, WR, Miami (OH)
2. Spencer Havner, OLB, U.C.L.A.
3. Kai Parham, ILB, Virginia
4. Anwar Phillips, CB, Penn St.
5. Darrell Hunter, CB, Miami (OH)
6. Charles Gordon, CB, Kansas
7. Greg Lee, WR, Pittsburgh
8. Andre Hall, RB, South Florida
9. Brian Iwuh, OLB, Colorado
10. Hank Baskett, WR, New Mexico
11. Darrell Hackney, QB, U.A.B.
12. Eric Henderson, DE, Georgia Tech
13. DonTrell Moore, RB, New Mexico
14. Tim Day, TE, Oregon
15. Jahmile Addae, S, West Virginia
16. Marcus Vick, QB, Virginia Tech
17. Mike Bell, RB, Arizona
18. Adam Stenavich, OG, Michigan
19. Charlton Keith, DE, Kansas
20. Mike Kudla, DE, Ohio St.
21. Taurean Henderson, RB, Texas Tech
22. Mike Degory, C, Florida
23. Dion Byrum, CB, Ohio
24. Patrick Ross, C, Boston College
25. Derek Morris, OT, North Carolina St.
26. Dale Robinson, ILB, Arizona St.
27. Manaia Brown, DT, B.Y.U.
28. McKinley Boykin, DT, Ole Miss
29. Greg Threat, S, Miami (FL)
30. Miles Austin, WR, Monmouth
31. Troy Reddick, OT, Auburn
32. Darrell Brooks, S, Arizona
33. Gerald Riggs, Jr., RB, Tennessee
34. Copeland Bryan, DE, Arizona
35. Cameron Vaughn, OLB, L.S.U.
36. John Torp, P, Colorado
37. Tommy Jackson, DT, Auburn
38. Oliver Hoyte, ILB, North Carolina St.
39. Brett Basanez, QB, Northwestern
40. Quadtrine Hill, FB, Miami (FL)
41. Chijioke Onyenegecha, CB, Oklahoma
42. Steve Fifita, DT, Utah
43. Erik Meyer, QB, Eastern Michigan
44. Willie Evans, DE, Mississippi St.
45. Cooper Wallace, TE, Auburn
46. Justin Holland, QB, Colorado St.
47. Barrick Nealy, QB, Texas St.
48. John Busing, OLB, Miami (OH)
49. Scott Ware, S, Southern Cal
50. Manase Hopoi, DT, Washington

The only guys left now are Vick, Tommy Jackson, Reddick, Morris, Lee, Gordon, and Evans.

LBs still available...

The Cowboys drafted Brady James, WILB, a couple of years ago, and Demarcus Ware last year. This Offseason they signed JAX starter Akin Ayodele, SOLB. The draft they went and got Bobby Carpenter.

I would think that either Brady or Akin is now surplus. Time to trade a 2007 draft pick for either, and solidify the LB corps once again with a vet ex-starter.

Jamie Sharper, and Craig Clairborne are other possibilities.

Don't forget Chad Brown. He was cut because he was getting too much money for what he contributed. If they re-signed him for around vet minimum, and actually let him play OLB as he was originally meant to do, it would give us a little depth for the OLB rotation.

There is more out there than just FA to sign.

Besides that is the modus operandi for LBs. Let someone else train htem and then sign or trade for a year or three...

DaBruinz said:
What you are missing is that I am a BIG Beisel supporter.

Beisel has a lot of supporters. **** Vermeil absolutely loved the guy. Belichick has spoken positively as well.

He got thrust into an impossible situation last year. It's one thing to come in and play next to Tedy Bruschi, it's another to come in and be asked to be Tedy Bruschi, quarterbacking the defense. Beisel is known as a tireless worker, so it is quite reasonable to expect him to make some serious progress in year two with the Pats.

I don't quite understand the hand-wringing over the Pats LBs. The starting three of Bruschi, Vrable, and Colvin is about as good as it gets. If we have to platoon some guys (Beisel, Banta-Cain, Davis, Alexander, Claridge, Mincey, etc.) at the fourth position, I don't think that would drop us down into the bottom of the barrel of NFL LB corps. We are fortunate to have flexibility with Vrabel being able to play both inside and outside.

As others said, I would be happy with Sharper. Clairbourne might be an okay signing for ILB, but I always thought knock on him was lazy attitude, put on a lot of weight, etc.

Boulware from everything I've read is done due to injuries.

I'd really love to see them bring in Donnie Edwards though. Would be Rodney Part 2.

DaBruinz said:
Thanks drew.

Hmm.. From that list, the potential 3-4 olbs inlcude:
Brady Smith (he'd have to convert)
DeLawrence Grant

Hmmm.. Pretty slim pickings there.

Right now,yes, but there will be a slew of cuts this summer and the Pats will have a ton of money to grab whomever they want. Looking at that OLB list, Witherspoon would have been nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back