PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Sanders or McGowan get a 3rd or a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
One of the positions I can say we are the deepest in the league in. We have Sanders, Mcgowan, Chung, and Meriweather. One of these two could be traded for a 3rd (needed badly) or a decent player to fill one of the many holes.

I don't know their value but is any team in dire need of a safety?

The entire NFC North needs Safeties, along with our old friends the Chiefs. The Giants filled that void yesterday, but I wa thinkin the same thing (about trading McGowan/Sanders) for a third rounder, it seems reasonable.

A third? Maybe a fourth or fifth...

For all intents and purposes Boldin went for a 3rd yesterday... McGowan/Sanders are no Boldin. laaaaaaaate 4th or 5th sounds about right.. but in that case I'd just keep em.

No way a 3rd unless we throw in a pick too

I was thinking a third in context to the draft. The top 5 safeties will be gone by the start of round 3. For a team that wants to use their 1st or 2nd elsewhere to improve their team, a 3rd would get you an average starting caliber safety.

In this draft, no 3rd round safety will be close to the impact Sanders or McGowan would have.

Both of these guys are of more value to this team as depth/rotation players than any draft compensation they would net, and it likely wouldn't be more than a day 3 pick or a conditional 2011 pick. Sanders merely represents the disciplined brain and veteran leadership presence in the secondary...who needs brains and leadership...:rolleyes:

Perhaps we could use the pick to sign a solid backup safety that could start as needed.

The reality is that we have four safeties which Belichick will use as is best for the team. We even have a 5th STer/S in Lockett. There is absolutely no reason to trade one of these players. The safety position arguably has the best depth on the team. Let's leave it that way.

No way. They aren't even necessarily starters on this team.

The draft is relatively deep at safety which is a low value position in this league. If Anquan Boldin is worth a 3rd....

James Sanders might be worth a 6th. McGowan might be worth a 2011 7th rounder. We signed him off the street last year and he has probably been passed by Chung on the depth chart at safety and by Lockett and Arrington on special teams.

McGowan = CUT (not valuable to anyone)
Sanders = DEPTH and leadership and smarts (more valuable to us than others)

If teams really wanted a safety they could just as easily sign any number of unrestricted free agents like Ryan Clark or Darren Sharper or Gibril Wilson or whoever and keep all their draft picks.

Last edited:
I would give up Maroney for a 3rd & a dozen day old donuts.

Then again... I would give up Maroney for just the day old donuts.

Addition by subtraction.

Maroney might be worth a 5th or 6th.

1 year left on his deal for less than $1 million. Could be part of a committee for a team that needs a back (San Diego, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, Seattle, Minnesota, etc..).

Maroney was a Golden Gopher and Minnesota just lost Chester Taylor who was a pass catching back... and Maroney is a good pass catching back....

He's probably worth a 5th rounder to Minnesota.

No way. They aren't even necessarily starters on this team.

The draft is relatively deep at safety which is a low value position in this league. If Anquan Boldin is worth a 3rd....

James Sanders might be worth a 6th. McGowan might be worth a 2011 7th rounder. We signed him off the street last year and he has probably been passed by Chung on the depth chart at safety and by Lockett and Arrington on special teams.

McGowan = CUT (not valuable to anyone)
Sanders = DEPTH and leadership and smarts (more valuable to us than others)

If teams really wanted a safety they could just as easily sign any number of unrestricted free agents like Ryan Clark or Darren Sharper or Gibril Wilson or whoever and keep all their draft picks.

Y are you ****ting on McG?
He has value therefore is valuable. I think he is very trade-able. Depending on how supply and demand looks after the draft, we could get a 3rd for either he or Sanders or Phony Maroney.

I'll be disappointed if McGowan makes the team next year.

Keep dreaming about a 3rd round pick though. McGowan is just a guy, 4th on the depth chart and if Springs shifts from CB to S, then McGowan is 5th on the depth chart.

I am not trying to be mean to McGowan, just honest in my appraisal.

There are at least 3 safeties available as UFA's who are better: Darren Sharper, Ryan Clark, and even Gibril Wilson. The only reason to trade for a safety is because you can't sign one. Since there is supply on the UFA market, there will be no demand for a trade for McGowan.

The Pats could sign Ryan Clark and cut McGowan and that would be an upgrade.

Kerry Rhodes a 27 year old All Pro Safety couldn't even net a 3rd, everyone knows this draft is deep and see 3rd round picks as having a lot of value. Sanders or Mcgowan arent near that value.

I am not trying to be mean to McGowan, just honest in my appraisal.

McGowan was one of the few bright spots on the defense. I'm not trying to be mean, but your honest appraisal sucks IMO.

Last edited:
I'm betting you don't want to hear my honest appraisal of Dan Koppen either... he's not aging well... overmatched by Kris Jenkins, Haloti Ngata, and any other physical nose tackle in the league...

McGowan had a few good games in the early half of the year, but down the stretch he wasn't really playing much and he would be in on 3 tackles per game on average in the last 6 games.

He's not very physical. Not a great tackler. Not great in coverage. Had zero interceptions.

He was able to force three fumbles so that was OK.

Agreed. We have four quality safeties.

McGowan was one of the few bright spots on the defense. I'm not trying to be mean, but your honest appraisal sucks IMO.

I was thinking a third in context to the draft. The top 5 safeties will be gone by the start of round 3. For a team that wants to use their 1st or 2nd elsewhere to improve their team, a 3rd would get you an average starting caliber safety.

In this draft, no 3rd round safety will be close to the impact Sanders or McGowan would have.

Teams generally don't trade picks for rotational players, and that's all McGowan and Sanders are; decent depth, the definition of JAGs, not stars or difference makers. Competent, and useful, but not trade bait.

More, in this draft, their value is less than usual (because this is an unusually deep draft, which gives later round picks more value than usual). I'd be surprised if the Pats could get much more than a late 5th for either player.

You can never have too much depth at a position. I think we have enough picks and spending potential as it stands to address our needs for this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots