Welcome to PatsFans.com

Could protectionism send unions over to the GOP?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by khayos, Aug 12, 2011.

1. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've been thinking -- if tailored right, the unions message and the GOP could be made to sound not that far off; particularly private section. Tone down the contentiousness of management versus employee and tune up the need for "e-verified" and "legitimate" workers to make a fair wage... and that unions are getting ever more disillusioned with Democrats -- could a switch ever happen?

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

As a forever union member, and continued association with such this will never happen.. most union members believe, along with most of the country, they are bearing the burden of this country while the rich got the tax cuts.. they are angry because Bush started class warfare with his cuts for those how can afford it most. As a consequence most of their property, vehicle and other taxes have gone up while their income has stayed the same.

The right has been trying to take away collective bargaining right, see Wisconsin, and doing other shenanigans across the country.. their message does not deliver to unions at all. LePage in Maine took down a mural of working men and women in the State Capitol.

Unions, right after ACORN or Planned Parenthood are scapegoats of the right.

Coincidentally was talking to an 86 year old woman, who has been a Republican forever and she told me she was going to the other side as she was completely disallusioned with the antics of the right in congress.. she is completely fed up. Of course this is anecdotal, but it is telling.

You can have a pipe dream, but unions will probably never cross that line.. pay attention to the rhetoric about the current Verizon strike and the subsequent vitriol towards Union Members in Gener. , and the language and anger of the right towards unions is evident. Unions do not feel welcome or comfortable amongst the right.

Of course, there is HB, who will start something silly about librul loons, pant suit hillary or the moozlims, but he is the exception, if that really is who he says he is. Which is doubtful..

3. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

I agree with Daryl, the majority of union members are government employees. Most Union manufacturing jobs are overseas now.

4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Because our tax code rewards and favors this.. and the rich just keep getting richer.

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

I have a differing opinion about that Darryl, but I don't want to derail this thread. On Topic, I see no possibility that Unions will support pubs.

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +559 / 9 / -5

#24 Jersey

Which is fine since I see no possibility that pubs will support unions.

:)

See how well that works out???