PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Our Game Plan Have Been Worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Did the offensive coordinator just phone it in? It has been a very long time since I have seen such misuse of talent by the offensive coordinator. And yes, Josh had bad days, but not for lack of trying.

We used the same offensive formation for all but one play.
We underused the running game and except for one play didn't use 2 TE's.
We have an injured, recovening quarterback who we expect to pass 50 times a game.
======================================================

You'd never know that we have the following improvements from 2008:
1) Maroney back healthy.
2) Watson back healthy.
3) The addition of Taylor.
4) The addition of Baker
5) The addition of Matthews.
=========================================================

Sure, we have Galloway instead of Gaffney, but the reality is that Galloway is a much better player, takes TWO defenders down the field with him, and he runs about a 4.3

Sure, we had ONE key player out. But Edelman did a fine Welker imitation and Moss has also looked great over the middle.
=====================================
Where's the real patriot offense? Where are the screens and draws and dump offs to running backs. Where are the two tight end sets. Where are the runs? I do understand that Brady is not effective deep. That is a problem that can be corrected later in the year, or not. We've won Super Bowls without Brady being effective deep. We've also won games with Brady as gunslinger, with a running back and two tight ends protecting the franchise.
======================================
Other than the lack of a fullback, the front office has given the offense all it could have hoped for.

Last edited:
Yes, the game plan could have been worse. As bad as it was, and as poor a job of adjusting that seems to have been done, it could have been even worse.

Welker being out was huge..I dont think we have so many 3 and outs and missed redzone td's if he was there.

Sure, we have Galloway instead of Gaffney, but the reality is that Galloway is a much better player, takes TWO defenders down the field with him, and he runs about a 4.3

I've seen no evidence that Galloway at this point in his career is a better player or better fit for the Pats than Gaffney was.

MG - Considering that BB is the OC, he could have been sending a message to the offense. That they need to execute better and he was giving them the same base to start from.

It wasn't just Brady that had issues. The O-line was inconsistent in its run blocking and its pass blocking, though they did pick up most every blitz. The receivers dropped an uncharacteristic number of balls (kinda like game 1 last year). And they didn't stick with the running game enough.

I saw several screens yesterday. Mainly to the Edelman. And 2 of the times the Jets had it sniffed out and it went no where. I'm not sure why they didn't use the RBs (Faulk) more in the passing game. But it did leave me scratching my head in the 1st half.

The Pats ran the ball 19 times yesterday. That's not enough. And they need to commit to just 2 RBs as the primaries with Faulk as the 3rd down back. Otherwise, none of them can build up enough steam to be effective.

Did the offensive coordinator just phone it in? It has been a very long time since I have seen such misuse of talent by the offensive coordinator. And yes, Josh had bad days, but not for lack of trying.

We used the same offensive formation for all but one play.
We underused the running game and except for one play didn't use 2 TE's.
We have an injured, recovening quarterback who we expect to pass 50 times a game.
======================================================

You'd never know that we have the following improvements from 2008:
1) Maroney back healthy.
2) Watson back healthy.
3) The addition of Taylor.
4) The addition of Baker
5) The addition of Matthews.
=========================================================

Sure, we had ONE key player out. But Edelman did a fine Welker imitation and Moss has also looked great over the middle.
=====================================
Where's the real patriot offense? Where are the screens and draws and dump offs to running backs. Where are the two tight end sets. Where are the runs? I do understand that Brady is not effective deep. That is a problem that can be corrected later in the year, or not. We've won Super Bowls without Brady being effective deep. We've also won games with Brady as gunslinger, with a running back and two tight ends protecting the franchise.
======================================
Other than the lack of a fullback, the front office has given the offense all it could have hoped for.

Welker being out was huge..I dont think we have so many 3 and outs and missed redzone td's if he was there.

When you have Brady, Moss, Galloway, Taylor, Maroney, Faulk, Watson, and Edelman on offense, Welker missing a game should NOT make a huge impact. It's just ridiculous to think that this offense looked so bad yesterday.

When you have Brady, Moss, Galloway, Taylor, Maroney, Faulk, Watson, and Edelman on offense, Welker missing a game should NOT make a huge impact. It's just ridiculous to think that this offense looked so bad yesterday.

Now we know what Colts fans felt like after they got stuffed in the playoffs in 2003 and 2004. They had so much talent, but their previously successful, repetitive formations got exposed by a tough, attacking Patriots defense.

Maybe brady is still injured... how about that... granted some shots were on the money and wr's dropped a few balls but mainly brady has been throwin it behind them, over them or underneath... i was just thinkin that maybe its rust but then i read on pft that maybe his shoulder is botherin him from the sack he took in preseason...

If welker had played he would have had around 15 catches for around 150 yards

Im fed up with people saying Edleman was really close to welker, the fact of the matter is the only reason people are saying this is because he's white, and plays the slot. I saw a few times moss was yelling at him cause he lined up wrong. Welker is MUCH better than Edleman. Better everything. Welker gets open and catches passes that edleman doesn't.

I remember when we used to have no-name receivers on offense, and still found ways to win against tough D's, even when our small #1 receiver was out for multiple games. That was a long time ago though.

Last edited:

Im fed up with people saying Edleman was really close to welker, the fact of the matter is the only reason people are saying this is because he's white, and plays the slot. I saw a few times moss was yelling at him cause he lined up wrong. Welker is MUCH better than Edleman. Better everything. Welker gets open and catches passes that edleman doesn't.

Take your racist comments outta here. And yes, they are racist. People are saying that Edelman looks like Welker, NOT because of his skin color, because of what he does ON THE FIELD. The moves he makes. The quickness and agility that he showed.

Yes, Welker is "better" than Edelman because Welker is a 6th year player and in his 3rd with the Pats. So he's more refined. And more experienced.

People understand Edelman is a rookie, but I think you don't. They understand that he's got growing to do. Moss wasn't yelling AT Edelman so much as having to yell for Edelman to hear him because of how loud it was. Edelman was making some rookie mistakes in terms of where he lined up. That's to be expected.

It's normal to use similarities when making comparisons. Edelman was playing the same position, is undersized, and works with quickness more than flat-out speed. The skin color is merely coincidental in this instance.

MG - Considering that BB is the OC, he could have been sending a message to the offense. That they need to execute better and he was giving them the same base to start from.

It wasn't just Brady that had issues. The O-line was inconsistent in its run blocking and its pass blocking, though they did pick up most every blitz. The receivers dropped an uncharacteristic number of balls (kinda like game 1 last year). And they didn't stick with the running game enough.

I saw several screens yesterday. Mainly to the Edelman. And 2 of the times the Jets had it sniffed out and it went no where. I'm not sure why they didn't use the RBs (Faulk) more in the passing game. But it did leave me scratching my head in the 1st half.

The Pats ran the ball 19 times yesterday. That's not enough. And they need to commit to just 2 RBs as the primaries with Faulk as the 3rd down back. Otherwise, none of them can build up enough steam to be effective.

The O-line was not bad yesterday in it's run blocking. Other than Kaczur's one mistake on third and short, the O-line did a pretty good job. The problem is schematic. Opposing teams know what we are going to do because we are going to be in the shotgun in some form and we rarely run the ball. Defenses were completely content to give up the occasional runs because they new that we were not going to stick with it. They knew that we were going to stop our running game before they did and that was the problem.

Our offense needs to get into rhythm. In order to do that, we need balance. We need to run the ball and take pressure off of our recovering quarterback. We have a plethora of running backs that would love to be more involved in the game. I say use them. This would allow the offensive line to be more aggressive. Also, it would help build their confidence by pancaking blitzing linebackers and safeties. I know it sounds crazy that you have to run to stop the blitz, but the Jests called mostly pass blitzes. They sometimes had only two down linemen. We have to take advantage of that.

Revis shut down Moss. The Pats didn't want to go near him after the pick.

Shocked you guys got away from the run so quickly. Brady was clearly the Jets #1 priority on every play and you were having decent success on the ground.

I don't know why Edelman's production makes anyone believe that he is close to being one of the very best slot receivers in the NFL. I watched every snap he's played and I haven't a clue. He is a fine prospect and a fine addition. He also great to have when Welker is not available. If Welker is back, I expect Edelman to be inactive again.

Some think that folks in Boston would really like to have a star white receiver.

Some cannot imagine any other reason for thinking that Edelman should be considered almost as good as Welker.

And yes, of course, I agree that we shouldn't consider race in evaluating players. However, I would note that there are folks in Boston (and in the Boston area) who consider race in considering who they root for, a consideration in choosing their favorite player. I recall the first time the Celtics had all black players and how many bars stopped have the game on.

For example, I think folks are kidding themseleves if they think that Brady would be as popular in Boston if he were a black quarterback. Heck, there a still folks who think that Larry Bird was the best basketball player ever.

Take your racist comments outta here. And yes, they are racist. People are saying that Edelman looks like Welker, NOT because of his skin color, because of what he does ON THE FIELD. The moves he makes. The quickness and agility that he showed.

Yes, Welker is "better" than Edelman because Welker is a 6th year player and in his 3rd with the Pats. So he's more refined. And more experienced.

People understand Edelman is a rookie, but I think you don't. They understand that he's got growing to do. Moss wasn't yelling AT Edelman so much as having to yell for Edelman to hear him because of how loud it was. Edelman was making some rookie mistakes in terms of where he lined up. That's to be expected.

The O-line was not bad yesterday in it's run blocking. Other than Kaczur's one mistake on third and short, the O-line did a pretty good job. The problem is schematic. Opposing teams know what we are going to do because we are going to be in the shotgun in some form and we rarely run the ball. Defenses were completely content to give up the occasional runs because they new that we were not going to stick with it. They knew that we were going to stop our running game before they did and that was the problem.

Our offense needs to get into rhythm. In order to do that, we need balance. We need to run the ball and take pressure off of our recovering quarterback. We have a plethora of running backs that would love to be more involved in the game. I say use them. This would allow the offensive line to be more aggressive. Also, it would help build their confidence by pancaking blitzing linebackers and safeties. I know it sounds crazy that you have to run to stop the blitz, but the Jests called mostly pass blitzes. They sometimes had only two down linemen. We have to take advantage of that.

This has been a problem for three years now, but O'Brien seems to have taken the predictability to a whole new level.

There is no need to keep using 3-WR shot gun for the vast majority of your plays, and rely on superior talent to out-execute what the defense knows what is coming.

Ram it down their throats, beat the crap out of the opposing linebackers more.

I don't know why Edelman's production makes anyone believe that he is close to being one of the very best slot receivers in the NFL. I watched every snap he's played and I haven't a clue. He is a fine prospect and a fine addition. He also great to have when Welker is not available. If Welker is back, I expect Edelman to be inactive again.

Some think that folks in Boston would really like to have a star white receiver.

Some cannot imagine any other reason for thinking that Edelman should be considered almost as good as Welker.

And yes, of course, I agree that we shouldn't consider race in evaluating players. However, I would note that there are folks in Boston (and in the Boston area) who consider race in considering who they root for, a consideration in choosing their favorite player. I recall the first time the Celtics had all black players and how many bars stopped have the game on.

For example, I think folks are kidding themseleves if they think that Brady would be as popular in Boston if he were a black quarterback. Heck, there a still folks who think that Larry Bird was the best basketball player ever.

We're getting off topic now, but in response to the above it reminds me of how long a past thread was rooting for Edelman, simply because he may have been Jewish American.

Last edited:
I'm absoltely fine with everyone rooting for Edelman. He's a binky made good. He made the roster and displaced Lewis. He has immediately become our backup slot receiver. That's all great value for a late round draft choice or an UDFA.

We're getting off topic now, but in response to the above it reminds me of how long a past thread was rooting for Edelman, simply because he may have been Jewish American.

This has been a problem for three years now, but O'Brien seems to have taken the predictability to a whole new level.

There is no need to keep using 3-WR shot gun for the vast majority of your plays, and rely on superior talent to out-execute what the defense knows what is coming.

Ram it down their throats, beat the crap out of the opposing linebackers more.

That three wide receiver set yesterday, I kept asking myself, do they have any other formation in the playbook.:eek:

not for yesterday.
That three wide receiver set yesterday, I kept asking myself, do they have any other formation in the playbook.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes