PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Julius Peppers Be Back on the Radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Peppers is looking for right now is way too much for the Pats, but if no one else takes a run at him and his asking price drops then I can see the Pats making a good run at him. Right now Wilfork is should be the teams top priority though

Last edited:
I am sure that most long term deals signed this offseason will have hefty roster bonuses tied to the 2011 season. Most teams are smart enough to protect themselves from a potential lockout especially for older players like Peppers who will be 33 in 2012.

I agree. Most teams would put such provisions in play in order to protect themselves and manage any potential cash flow and ROI concerns that they may have.

Just saying that it's a variable to consider. I have no idea how tenable Peppers would be to such a provision/safeguard. I assume every team that approaches him will want to put in some kind of safeguard.

I think if Peppers is willing to take $7 million a year, he will be here if Belichick values him. The Pats are not cheap no matter what the perception is. If Belichick thinks he will be a consistent double sack guy who isn't a liability on the run, a $7 million a year price tag won't scare him away. They weren't scared away from paying Thomas, Moss, or Seymour top dollar.

I would almost guarantee that Peppers is looking for more than 7m a year.

What Peppers is looking for right now is way too much for the Pats, but if no one else takes a run at him and his asking price drops then I can see the Pats making a good run at him. Right now Wilfork is should be the teams top priority though

Oh yeah, who told you that? I agree though Wilfork should be the teams main focus right now.

Last edited:
I forgot this entry was going to create this thread and I'm sorry I didn't kill it before it posted. Glad I could help drum this topic back up again :spygate:

Last edited:
Oh yeah, who told you that? I agree though Wilfork should be the teams main focus right now.

Brady is the top priorty. All other moves are impacted by his contract structure as it relates to payouts, cash outlay, etc.

Last edited:
IMHO, i think he wants to win a ring and after gettin paid 1 million per game, i dont think money will be the issue... Wilfork on the other hand, we all kno he wants the money but whats to say the Pats dont see him in there future... Maybe try one more year wit the franchise tag and after that, they let him walk...

Brady is the top priorty. All other moves are impacted by his contract structure as it relates to payouts, cash outlay, etc.

Thank you, BRADY is the top priority... I think thats why we havent heard anything on Wilfork yet...They probably wanna see what brady is askin and they take it from there...

I would almost guarantee that Peppers is looking for more than 7m a year.

He will probably want more. I was just working off that number. The number will most likely be $9-10 million which is relatively low for an OLB/DE. DeMarcus Ware just got something like $11-12 million and he isn't getting Ware money. If Belichick thinks he is worth it, a $9 million price tag won't scare him off as long as it doesn't screw them for a reduction in the cap or if there is a work stoppage.

Peppers might be willing to settle for a contract with a Stallworth structure which was an attractive one year deal that could be extended to a four or five year deal on a club option. Normally he wouldn't settle for it, but I think players are going to have to get creative to get paid this offseason with uncertainty in the league.

Yes, keeping Wilfork is the priority, but Wilfork is going nowhere and Peppers is not getting what people think he wants. With the top 8 rule and teams concerned about 2011 and what a new CBA will do to the salary cap, there are not going to be many or any teams willing to break the bank this offseason.

I can almost guarantee you that more teams will take advantage of no salary floor than no salary ceiling.

He will probably want more. I was just working off that number. The number will most likely be $9-10 million which is relatively low for an OLB/DE. DeMarcus Ware just got something like $11-12 million and he isn't getting Ware money. If Belichick thinks he is worth it, a $9 million price tag won't scare him off as long as it doesn't screw them for a reduction in the cap or if there is a work stoppage.

Peppers might be willing to settle for a contract with a Stallworth structure which was an attractive one year deal that could be extended to a four or five year deal on a club option. Normally he wouldn't settle for it, but I think players are going to have to get creative to get paid this offseason with uncertainty in the league.

I agree with your line of thinking. Makes sense..

I forgot this entry was going to create this thread and I'm sorry I didn't kill it before it posted. Glad I could help drum this topic back up again :spygate:
:bricks::bricks:

Considering Peppers said he was offered the highest defensive salary (slightly), that puts him around 14M max. I can't see him signing anywhere for less than 10M, and can't see the Pats paying more than 8M a year. Not to mention all of the other contracts they still have to deal with.. not gonna happen.

Last edited:
How is this for a Peppers contract? He would probably want 5 years but I think 4 years would be better for the Pats.
Using the 50% salary reduction rule, and an uncapped 2010, signing Peppers should be entirely possible if both sides want to get it done.

Signing Bonus = 6M

2010 1.5M 2011 1.5M 2012 1.5M 2013 1.5M

Roster Bonus = 12M

2010 3M 2011 3M 2012 3M 2012 3M

Base Salaries = 20M

2010 10M 2011 5M 2012 2.5M 2013 2.5M

Yearly Cap Hits

2010 14.5M 2011 9.5M 2012 7M 2013 7M

Total Monies = 38M/4 years

Average Salary = 9.25M Annually

Dead Money Hit if cut before 2011 roster bonus comes due = 4.5M/3 = 1.5M annual dead money.

I could see the Pats possibly going to 40/4 if that was what it took to get it done. It's fun spending other people's money, isn't it? :)

Peppers will not be back with the Panthers. Nobody here wants to pay him
20M+. They couldn't pay the waterboy last year.
Its time for them to move on rebuilt with some new and younger players.
They are also STUCK paying Jakes salary which is another story for another time.

I can't see us paying him if we won't pay Vince.
Peppers will cost more.

Assuming Peppers isn't tagged and Merriman (who is rumored to be available) is tendered, what would you prefer the Pats do?

Sign Peppers via free agency or trade for Merriman and possibly extend him long term?

I'd love to add either guy to boost our pass rush, but I think the Merriman route might be the better option. He's coming off his worst season, so it's a time when his value is the lowest it will probably ever be. He's played in the 3-4 defense his whole career, as opposed to Peppers never playing OLB in the 3-4. There might be an adjustment period needed for Peppers, as was the case with Burgess early on. Merriman is also younger than Peppers, as he will only be 26 next season and Peppers will be 30. You'd be getting Merriman in the prime of his career as opposed to Peppers who is closer to the downside than his prime. I'm a bit hesitant to give a lucrative deal to a 30 year old after seeing what has happened with Adalius, where he seemingly hit a wall this year at 32. I also love the passion, desire, energy, and fire Merriman plays with on defense. He's a leader on the field, giving speeches and rallying the troops. He brings it on every play. Passion and leadership were definitely a void on the 2009 Pats, and I think he could help fill that void.

Many people have their concerns. Post-steroids, injuries, off-field incidents, etc. I personally don't think the steroids thing is that big of a deal. I think he's an elite OLB with or without steroids. This year he came off ACL surgery and it was reported that he played through a torn plantar fascia in his foot for which he needed cortisone shots to numb the pain. I know a lot of people don't think he will be the same after his surgery, but I think he will regain his form next year. We saw Brady struggle after a year off with an ACL injury, and Osi Umenyoria did as well. I think it takes a year on the field before you get back to form. His only major legal issue was the thing with Tila Tequila in which details vary. He seems like he's starting to mature IMO after saying he wasn't getting involved in the war of words with the Jets and would let his play do the talking.

I don't know if the Chargers would want to deal him someone they compete with in the playoffs on a yearly basis, but I would give up one of our 2nd rounders for him. You're not going to find a 2nd round draftee who is going to be as good as Merriman is. I think it's a great chance to buy "low" on a great talent.

Buddies down south are saying one of the reason panthers are not intrested is peppers wants a 6 yr deal and front loaded.

BB maybe talk him down to a 5 yr deal or even 4yr if throw in 20 million signing bonus.

Assuming Peppers isn't tagged and Merriman (who is rumored to be available) is tendered, what would you prefer the Pats do?

Sign Peppers via free agency or trade for Merriman and possibly extend him long term?

I'd love to add either guy to boost our pass rush, but I think the Merriman route might be the better option. He's coming off his worst season, so it's a time when his value is the lowest it will probably ever be. He's played in the 3-4 defense his whole career, as opposed to Peppers never playing OLB in the 3-4. There might be an adjustment period needed for Peppers, as was the case with Burgess early on. Merriman is also younger than Peppers, as he will only be 26 next season and Peppers will be 30. You'd be getting Merriman in the prime of his career as opposed to Peppers who is closer to the downside than his prime. I'm a bit hesitant to give a lucrative deal to a 30 year old after seeing what has happened with Adalius, where he seemingly hit a wall this year at 32. I also love the passion, desire, energy, and fire Merriman plays with on defense. He's a leader on the field, giving speeches and rallying the troops. He brings it on every play. Passion and leadership were definitely a void on the 2009 Pats, and I think he could help fill that void.

Many people have their concerns. Post-steroids, injuries, off-field incidents, etc. I personally don't think the steroids thing is that big of a deal. I think he's an elite OLB with or without steroids. This year he came off ACL surgery and it was reported that he played through a torn plantar fascia in his foot for which he needed cortisone shots to numb the pain. I know a lot of people don't think he will be the same after his surgery, but I think he will regain his form next year. We saw Brady struggle after a year off with an ACL injury, and Osi Umenyoria did as well. I think it takes a year on the field before you get back to form. His only major legal issue was the thing with Tila Tequila in which details vary. He seems like he's starting to mature IMO after saying he wasn't getting involved in the war of words with the Jets and would let his play do the talking.

I don't know if the Chargers would want to deal him someone they compete with in the playoffs on a yearly basis, but I would give up one of our 2nd rounders for him. You're not going to find a 2nd round draftee who is going to be as good as Merriman is. I think it's a great chance to buy "low" on a great talent.

Peppers by a landslide. Merriman may be younger but just not sure about that brain of his. The knee could be a concern as well. With big-time $$$ on the line, I'd rather go with the safer pick.

Last edited:
I would throw 700 million dollars at Peppers before entertaining Merriman.

Peppers is a NO GO.

In his interview last year he didn't want to sign a long term deal with Carolina because although they made him the highest paid defensive player in the league, it was "only slightly". This was after his 2008 2 1/2 sack year. Can you believe the arrogance of that? "ONLY SLIGHTLY"?

I think you're dreaming if you think he plays for short money to prove himself. He's also possibly not that good in our system. Don't forget AD was supposed to be "all that". How'd that work out?

BB screwed up by not developing talent. He's turned up his nose at college LBs, refused to develop any. Well now we have SF washout and useless Burgess (who's a FA, nice rental for a 3rd and 5th).

We do have Crable and I still believe he could be very useful in pass rush situations at least.

Have to have some schemes which make the most of our talent and draftable talent instead of hoping against hope for some magic guy to be able to take over Willie McGinnest's role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back