PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Jake Bequette Actually Make the 53?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ring 6

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I don't think there is a single poster who has predicted Bequette surviving cutdown.

But with Smith gone, it appears to be down to Bequette or Moore, who just doesn't seem ready to make a 53 to me, as the #4 DE.

It's not unprecedented for a player to make it to year 3 without really contributing anything, but very rare. Marquise Hill (RIP) is the only one I can think of.

There is a difference between playing badly and not playing. So far Jake hasn't played, so it is kind of hard for me to judge his ability.

I haven't noticed, but has he been playing any special teams? I've noticed Buchanan out there on punts, but that's because he's lined up just to the right of Aiken so he's very visible on TV. If Bequette (or Moore for that matter) are contributing on ST it makes it easier to keep them.

Well, Moore can't do any worse or do any less than what Bequette has brought to NE thus far. Does anyone know if Bequette has ever won practice player of the week honors? He's got to be doing something to stay on this long.

I haven't noticed, but has he been playing any special teams? I've noticed Buchanan out there on punts, but that's because he's lined up just to the right of Aiken so he's very visible on TV. If Bequette (or Moore for that matter) are contributing on ST it makes it easier to keep them.
I read a post here last week that said he played on 3 special teams vs the Eagles.

I think positional flexibility wise Moore has an edge over Bequette.

He can play 4-3 DE and a 3-4 DE.

Bequette has shown over the 2+ years he can't even play 4-3 DE. I mean Buchanan came in as a rookie and was ahead of him after his first training camp.

I like the question. There's always a guy like Kelly who's on everybody's projected 53 but gets cut, and a guy who's on nobody's 53 who sticks. It's worth revisiting our assumptions.

Yet...Moore has been on my personal roster all along, and I'm not changing that. It's a matter of trajectories. Even IF Bequette is more ready to contribute today, given the rates of learning and development the two have shown I'd bet on Moore overtaking him before long.

I like the question. There's always a guy like Kelly who's on everybody's projected 53 but gets cut, and a guy who's on nobody's 53 who sticks. It's worth revisiting our assumptions.

Yet...Moore has been on my personal roster all along, and I'm not changing that. It's a matter of trajectories. Even IF Bequette is more ready to contribute today, given the rates of learning and development the two have shown I'd bet on Moore overtaking him before long.

Moore is "more", Bequette is "less", as far as I'm concerned. Ron Brace was the last guy to last so long and do so little.

I think positional flexibility wise Moore has an edge over Bequette.

He can play 4-3 DE and a 3-4 DE.

Bequette has shown over the 2+ years he can't even play 4-3 DE. I mean Buchanan came in as a rookie and was ahead of him after his first training camp.
Well, I know the obligatory Bequette sucks post is what will be most common here, but I don't see Moore as having position flexibility any more than Bequette. Physically they are similar.
All players develop at different rates, so there is no guarantee that Moore is farther from his ceiling than Bequette.
There has to be a reason he has been kept around this long.

I'd rather Moore than Bequette. At least Moore has shown glimpses of having the potential of one day being at least a decent player.
I'd rather have Abe Lincoln in his current condition than Bequette. And I'm a self-confessed homer. He's a terrible player.

My eyes might not have been working but I could swear I thought I saw Bequette lined up as the Strongside OLB on a couple of plays this preseason. I don't recall if we were in the 3-4 or not though.

All players develop at different rates, so there is no guarantee that Moore is farther from his ceiling than Bequette.
There has to be a reason he has been kept around this long.

As a 3rd round draft pick, Bequette was given the luxury of time to show he could develop. He hasn't shown any significant development as far as I can see. After 3 training camps and 2 seasons with little or nothing to show, I think that his time is up. Sure, he may blossom eventually, but the odds of that happening diminish significantly over time. Moore may not prove to be any better, but he hasn't had enough time to show that yet.

Bequette played in the 4th quarter against Carolina. He didn't really do anything notable. On passing plays, he rushed the passer, but didn't do anything to impact the play, from what I could tell. This might have been the first time I actually noticed him on the field, though.

Will Smith must have just been consistently terrible if Bequette ends up being the one to beat him out. As raw as Moore looks, I would still rather he make it.

Last year, the Pats were so short on DEs that they had Jones and Ninkovich playing almost every snap, and when one of them had to come off, they dragged Andre Carter's corpse out there. Meanwhile, they didn't even bother making Bequette active. As far as I'm concerned, that simply means that he sucks.

Last edited:
Bequette will make the team. They don't want to tip off any team. They'll unleash him in the Super Bowl and he'll get 5 sacks in the game including a forced fumble returned for a TD. :eek:

BB will cut him as soon as he gets his first half sack, just like Crable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back