PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could cutting Mallet actually hurt Grop's development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think about this.
Let's assume the claimed scenario is true for the sake of discussion.
If Mallet is cut...who is going to be the alleged practice squad QB?
There is NOBODY ELSE to take the reps with Mallett gone.
Was it Joe Biden talking on the radio?
I think they'll keep Mallett bit if they go with 2 they'll add a PS QB.

Again, think it through. There is no rule saying who takes scout team snaps. I'm sure the 2 and 3 both do, but if the team sees it as a developmental need, rather than cutting Mallett, apparently to not be tempted to misuse practice time, they can simply just give the scout team to Garapolo whether Mallet is here or not.

And no, you cannot 'hire a guy who isn't on the roster to be the scout team QB'.

Well, sort of. You can sign a camp arm to the practice squad. I forget the year (Gawd I'm old) but I pretty sure the Patriots did that in the recent past. Oh, before someone says we can stash Garapollo there, any team can sign off you practice squad. When they did it it was with a camp arm level of QB who if the Jaguars signed, no big deal.

Just for curiosity, how is that monitored? What if they do training indoors?
With free agency a player you cut might gladly turn you in. If they did that do you think Connely when with the Jets might spill the beans? :)

Well, sort of. You can sign a camp arm to the practice squad. I forget the year (Gawd I'm old) but I pretty sure the Patriots did that in the recent past. Oh, before someone says we can stash Garapollo there, any team can sign off you practice squad. When they did it it was with a camp arm level of QB who if the Jaguars signed, no big deal.

? :)
Well that's not what he said. You could do many things but having a guy who isn't on the team practice with the team isn't one if them.

While I do think the Pats plan to keep Mallett at this point, it's worth noting that they didn't keep a veteran in 2009 when Hoyer was the #2. OTOH, Garoppolo is, in some respects, closer to Matt Cassel than Hoyer in terms of experience.

2009 strongly disagrees

2009 is the exception to the rule due to the fact that the prior year's 3rd round QB selection of Kevin O'Connell turned out to be a total dud.

There was absolutely no reason whatsoever to keep KOC past his 2nd TC. He couldn't read the defense, he couldn't pick up the offense, he couldn't do anything that our system called for. He was a bad fit, so it was pointless to keep him.

I don't see anything of the same comparison here, but yes--it proves that Belichick will gamble at times.

Last edited:
Nobody is cutting Mallet! The Pats have a history of keeping 3 QBs in transition years. No Way BB goes into a season with just Galapagos as the back-up!

I think that's the way that the majority of us see it, but the media have people's attention due to the fact that:

1) It's Ryan Mallett, and they thrive on the thought of Ryan Mallett somehow being moved off the team in one form or another. They've been banging this drum for 2+ years straight that Mallett may be trade bait, that he is going to be a starter somewhere in the league, and that teams are clamoring to get him in their colors. Oddly enough, some mediots have gone from suggesting 2nd round draft picks to having Mallett as a potential cut in just a few weeks...

2) Garappolo had a bit of a better preseason than many expected, and/or he had such a poor training camp that he took many by surprise. It could be a bit of both. Either way, I don't think that he's shown anything close to enough to warrant kicking our 4th year (cheap), experienced backup to the curb, but that's just my opinion. Obviously, anything is in play, and it will be interesting to watch it unfold.

I understand what you mean now, but I don't think its really relevant. Garapolo played in a passing offense Hoyer and Mallet did not in the Big 10, and Mallet didn't throw nearly as much at Arkansas and Garapolo did in college, although, yes it was vs better players.
Mallett transfered from Big 10 Michigan to SEC Arkansas, when the HC who recruited him retired. He was Brady's coach too, and not a pure run based coach. The newcomer wanted to install a running based Offense.

Mallett transfered from Big 10 Michigan to SEC Arkansas, when the HC who recruited him retired. He was Brady's coach too, and not a pure run based coach. The newcomer wanted to install a running based Offense.
I know that. But they were both run oriented offenses much more than what jimmy g played in.
I don't see the competition level as much a factor. It would be in evaluating play but as far as adjusting to the nfl I think the complexity and nature of the offense you ran means an awful lot more.

Well that's not what he said. You could do many things but having a guy who isn't on the team practice with the team isn't one if them.
So you are saying players on the practice squad can NOT practice with the team. Thanks for the info.

I do not think they would outright cut Mallett; they might trade him for a mid to late round pick now. If Gabbert could net a sixth round pick, and Yates could net a player than we should be able to get some value for Mallett on the trade market. I am not expecting anything more than a fourth round pick at the very, very best, most likely a fifth or sixth.

So you are saying players on the practice squad can NOT practice with the team. Thanks for the info.
No I'm saying players not under contract with the team can not practice with the team.
Why would you think differently?

Well... I will add this to the discussion:

When the Pats have played mobile QBs in the past (your Vicks, Tebows, etc.) they have used Edelman as the scout team QB. Given that he's a starting WR now, it's kind of nice to have Garoppolo as QB3 because there's no need to do something like that with him back there.

They'll keep all 3.

Am I the only one who feels that it would be idiotic to trade a competent and experienced backup QB for a 5th/6th round pick? I really don't understand the point of these posts. We're not going to cut Mallet or trade him for a garbage pick just to please people's desire to move Mallet off the 53-man roster. It makes ZERO football sense.

I do not think they would outright cut Mallett; they might trade him for a mid to late round pick now. If Gabbert could net a sixth round pick, and Yates could net a player than we should be able to get some value for Mallett on the trade market. I am not expecting anything more than a fourth round pick at the very, very best, most likely a fifth or sixth.

Am I the only one who feels that it would be idiotic to trade a competent and experienced backup for a 5th/6th round pick? I really don't understand the point of these posts. We're not going to cut Mallet or trade him for a garbage pick just to please people's desire to move Mallet off the 53-man roster. It makes ZERO football sense.
It depends on how comfortable they are with Garopollo being the backup. If they are and they feel that roster spot would be better used elsewhere and they could recoup some value for Mallett I think it makes sense to trade him. If they do not think Garopollo is ready it makes no sense to trade him.

WooooHooo!!!! I say cut everyone!
chainsaw guy.jpg

No I'm saying players not under contract with the team can not practice with the team.
Ever heard of "shadow roster" guys. They don't "practice" with the guys. They just stay around the area and hook up with the boys off grounds.
That's what Justin Jones did living with Williams. Happens all the time. Stick around kid and you'll get another shot. I can think of alot more examples but he's the most recent. I'll rack my brain but I know FOR SURE it's happened before.

Because you quoted me talking about the practice squad.

Because you quoted me talking about the practice squad.
Yes by pointing out that my response which you quoted was not about practice squad players but about some guy who isn't part if the team practicing with the team.

Ever heard of "shadow roster" guys. They don't "practice" with the guys. They just stay around the area and hook up with the boys off grounds.
That's what Justin Jones did living with Williams. Happens all the time. Stick around kid and you'll get another shot. I can think of alot more examples but he's the most recent. I'll rack my brain but I know FOR SURE it's happened before.
But that is not the point. The poster I replied to said that cutting mallet could mean garapolo won't gets out team snaps because they will have some guy who isn't on the team come in to play QB at practice.
Shadow roster has nothing to do with that.

But that is not the point. The poster I replied to said that cutting mallet could mean garapolo won't gets out team snaps because they will have some guy who isn't on the team come in to play QB at practice.
Shadow roster has nothing to do with that.

I still think it is possible that they keep Mallet only for the sake of giving Grop a year without the added responsibility of being QB2. The QB2's role is to shadow TFB, learn the particular game-plan for that week, and be ready to lead the O if Brady goes down. Grop could benefit from learning all of the intricacies of the playbook, getting up to NFL, etc., without needing to focus on being ready to step at a moments notice.

It is pretty clear that Grop has outplayed Mallet so far, but there is a good chance thinks could play out way differently in a regular season game. The preseason (including the third week) features vanilla plays on both sides of the ball. Grop has played better in this setting, but things could be much different if Grop is expected to read more complex defensive schemes, make audibles at the line, change blocking schemes to pick up the blitz, and make hot reads.

Perhaps Grop is so much better then Mallet that he would be a better backup now with his current level of understanding. But my guess is that they keep Mallet so that Grop has time learn how to run the real Pats O.

I also don't think the idea that the practice squad snaps as being important and distinct from QB2 snaps is that outlandish. Looking back at past rosters/practice squads using Wikipedia, from 2001 to 2012 the Pats had either 3 QBs on the roster or 2 QBs on the roster and a third on the practice squad. For example, in 2009 the pats kept Jeff Rowe on the PS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_New_England_Patriots_season#Final_roster
It was not until 2012 that the Pats had only 2 QBs, and zero on the PS. That was Mallet's second year. Maybe they thought he could handle both Qb2 and Ps responsibilities. I doubt they give both the Grop in his rookie year.

Who the hell is Grop? is this like an Arod thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes