PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Cassel's good season hurt the Patriots for this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im just saying makes no sense why we want two qb's worth 14 mil when if we want to win now we need alot of other positions besides a backup qb for 14 mill. If he gets traded none of this matters.

No, we don't need a lot of other positions...

this just dawned on me that if he played like crap last year we still wouldnt have made the playoffs we would have a better draft pick and he wouldnt be getting 14 mil...
But hopefully, this is all made up by whatever we get in compensation for Cassel.

Belichick gambled that he could have a merely adequate #2 QB and it cost him a Playoff and maybe Superbowl appearance. If at all possible, he won't do that again.

So you are suggesting that what kept the Patriots out of the playoffs was their lack of production on offense, specifically the QB position?

I beg to differ. The Patriots offense - including their backup QB - played quite well. Their defense, on the other hand...

Now, the solution to the problem of very good offense and mediocre defense is not to spend over 10% of your salary cap on someone you anticipate will be a backup. It would, however, be to get more draft picks and appropriate free agents to help the defense based on the trade value and salary cap differential of the anticipated backup. At least those are the thoughts running through my brain.

However, your thoughts seem to be right in line with a number of national football media experts. I wish I could say you were in good company. :eek:

By the way...

Has anyone considered that keeping Cassel will delay the development of our backup QB of the future, O'Connell?

Just something to consider...

this just dawned on me that if he played like crap last year we still wouldnt have made the playoffs we would have a better draft pick and he wouldnt be getting 14 mil.

We'll get enough in trade to offset that.

Plus, its very hard to evaluate talent when you have a problem like a bad QB. Having Cassel stink this year wouldn't just cause us to lose a bunch of games, it would make it much more difficult to evaluate players on both sides of the ball. Its tough to evaluate offensive players when the QB stinks, and tough to evaluate the defense when you're down 30 at halftime every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes