PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Brandon Spikes be suspended for his current tweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
coulda been worse, I honestly dont see how anyone could have gotten offended by it. at worst is deserves a Womp womp wommmmmmmmmmmmmp for from overbidding on the price is right.

Last edited:
Tell Brandon the timing of his tweet couldn't have been any better...especially against a Team who is run First oriented.:rolleyes:

Re: Could Brandon Spike be suspended for his current tweet?

I'm not racist or anything, but I'd scream if I came home and found a Mexican in my bathtub.

Of course Mexican is a nationality, not a race, but you'd scream if you found Salma Hayek in your bathtub?

:confused:

I don't think there are many, if any, high-profile jobs where one is not held accountable for one's public statements.

Absolutely. The First Amendment says that the government can't punish you for expressing your beliefs. It absolutely, positively does NOT say that making stupid, incendiary public statements that reflect badly on your employer won't harm your career.

Luckily, this particular comment was just stupid/silly, not stupid/incendiary, IMO. (It's also a pretty tired joke that has been circulating the internet for years.)

Let's face it, Spikes has the kind of irrepressible personality that works wonders on the field, but makes you want to muzzle him off it.

Just a thoughtless thing to say. Even though he has a right to say it, it will offend some people because some people are just looking for an excuse to be offended. Why give them ammunition?

Of course Mexican is a nationality, not a race, but you'd scream if you found Salma Hayek in your bathtub?

Well, I'm assuming a parallel tweet wouldn't distinguish between the two and use either Hispanic or Latino; point is, you could make an analogous joke about any other class and it could be somewhat offensive, depending on your viewpoint.

That said, I have a pretty high tolerance for what I offensive and what Spikes tweeted doesn't come close to that threshold. Probably something best not expressed on social media, though.

Tell Brandon the timing of his tweet couldn't have been any better...especially against a Team who is run First oriented.:rolleyes:

What does this mean? Sorry I'm drawing a blank.

Does "orgasming" count as screaming? Because then I'd definitely scream.

While the joke itself is not homophobic, per se, it could go either way depending on context. I could see it told in a way where the humor is simply the absurd image of a gay man randomly showing up in your shower like a spider does, or I could see it being told so that the humor also comes from using the absurd image as a cover for saying that there's nothing wrong with gay people so long as they stay the hell away from you.

Twitter doesn't really allow for context, and I don't know Spikes' personal feelings about homosexuality, so I have no idea which way the joke was intended. I'll just say that, if it were my twitter feed, I'd have decided that the joke just wasn't funny enough to warrant the ambiguity.

I think it's funny but...

There's absolutely no reason an athlete with a game coming up needs to post anything about his beliefs that could possibly effect his team negatively in anyway. I hope BB finds that, sits brandon down one on one and goes ape **** on him.

If you wanted a posted child for ADD, Brandon Spikes would be a good choice.. he has a very poor filter.

I think it's funny but...

There's absolutely no reason an athlete with a game coming up needs to post anything about his beliefs that could possibly effect his team negatively in anyway. I hope BB finds that, sits brandon down one on one and goes ape **** on him.

It was a joke. What Spikes said wasn't even insulting or belittling. Are you saying that athletes shouldn't be allowed to take the 10 seconds required to post a twitter comment on their off time? I ask because, let's be honest here, pretty much anything beyond "I just woke up and am waiting to face the day!" is going to offend someone.

The sad reality of this country is that almost everyone is in favor of free speech for themselves, but a huge portion of the country opposes free speech for everyone else except themselves.

Last edited:
It was a joke. What Spikes said wasn't even insulting or belittling. Are you saying that athletes shouldn't be allowed to take the 10 seconds required to post a twitter comment on their off time? I ask because, let's be honest here, pretty much anything beyond "I just woke up and am waiting to face the day!" is going to offend someone.

The sad reality of this country is that almost everyone is in favor of free speech for themselves, but a huge portion of the country opposes free speech for everyone else except themselves.

Only I should be allowed to say that.

I freakin' hate twitter. It doesn't do any good for anyone to be able to post whatever comes in their head for the world to see.

Only I should be allowed to say that.

Fixed, with my apologies....
thcoffee.gif

Last edited:
I freakin' hate mouths. It doesn't do any good for anyone to be able to say whatever comes in their head for the world to hear.

I freakin' hate twitter. It doesn't do any good for anyone to be able to post whatever comes in their head for the world to see.

Twitter's great, so long as you follow people who have a brain in their heads. I mostly follow a bunch of writers (Joe Hill being the most famous), and they tend to tweet useful or entertaining stuff.

Twitter's all about what you like and who you follow. If you want to follow Rihanna, you're gonna get Rihanna thoughts.

Great! Now the entire Seattle offense will declare themselves gay and Spikes won't tackle for the whole game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down