PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could BB Handle TO If He Was A Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haterproof

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I've heard a ton of people say that there's no head coach who can handle TO.I beg to differ.I've always thought BB was the coach who could keep TO in check.What does some of you guys think?Could BB keep TO in check or would TO just destroy our team like he did the Eagles.

Who knows. It's worth noting that Owens and Chad Jackson have had the same basic injury, though, and Belichck is letting Jackson get to 100% without throwing a pissy fit because his manhood is being challenged like Parcells seems to be.

I haven't been on top of how Tuna is doing with the child, but he is back from his hamstring injury isn't he? I'd imagine BB would treat him like any other player and not participate in the drama.

Haterproof said:
I've heard a ton of people say that there's no head coach who can handle TO.I beg to differ.I've always thought BB was the coach who could keep TO in check.What does some of you guys think?Could BB keep TO in check or would TO just destroy our team like he did the Eagles.

I see little difference in Parcells and Belichick when it comes to how they run their football team. Having said that, I think the Cowboys made a huge mistake because I don't believe any coach can control T.O. My reason is that he only cares about himself and he doesn't give a damn about who the coach is. Have we forgotten that Andy Reid is one of the best coaches in the NFL? His style may be different than Belichick but it goes to show that the only person T.O. respects is himself. And maybe Michael Irvin.

Last edited:
Haterproof said:

I think the world of Bill Belichick, but I see no evidence that he is the kind of person who is flexible, sensitive or patient enough to help a troubled and self-indulgent individual learn self-discipline and dedication.

BB's way has been to give the team a clear set of guide-lines and to part company with anyone who doesn't stick to them -- if he couldn't bring Terry Glenn into line, I see no reason to think that he could do it for TO.

Edit: I should have said "flexible, sensitive and patient". He certainly is patient when he has to be and his insensitivity can be an asset in dealing with difficult players -- for instance, in allowing himself to be abused by Ty Law/the Postons and not retaliating. But a TO needs something more.

Last edited:
Haterproof said:

I look back at the Terry Glenn situation and I doubt he could because I don't think he'd want to.

BB's mode of operation is to eliminate as many distractions as possible and concentrate more on coaching and managing.

Dealing with TO is someting that would take away from the way he wants to run the team.

He doesn't like to babysit.

I would say it depends on what you mean.

Can BB turn T.O. into a productiver team player? I would say no. At this point in his life TO does not seem to want to listen to anyone or be a team player.

If you mean can BB handle the situation without letting TO run over everyone, I would say yes. TO might be off the team, etc, put BB would not baby TO.

While I share most people's disgust with TO, I would say he's just a crappy person. As far as I know he's not a druggie and doesn't beat up women, etc, so he is not a total loser. When he is on the field he gives 100% all the time, and in the past he seems to have worked his butt off to be in the best shape he can be for the season.

Obviously I am no TO expert, and I would not want him on the Pats, but he's not TOTAL scum.

Gopats!!! said:
While I share most people's disgust with TO, I would say he's just a crappy person. As far as I know he's not a druggie and doesn't beat up women, etc, so he is not a total loser. When he is on the field he gives 100% all the time, and in the past he seems to have worked his butt off to be in the best shape he can be for the season.

Obviously I am no TO expert, and I would not want him on the Pats, but he's not TOTAL scum.

Good points. I also believe that TO had a difficult upbringing and evidently finds co-operating with others and establishing a healthy relationship to authority figures very difficult.

Mike the Brit said:
Good points. I also believe that TO had a difficult upbringing and evidently finds co-operating with others and establishing a healthy relationship to authority figures very difficult.

That may be the case, but one persons problems shouldn't hold an entire organization hostage.

But the way I look at it, EVERYBODY knows what the guy is about.

If you choose to have him on your team, you need to be prepared to deal with everything he brings with him.

If your naive to think that your able to create some profound change in his personality, well then your stupid and deserve what you get.

Last edited:
Mike the Brit said:

There are a lot of people in pro sports that had a difficult upbringing and don't act this way. Marshall Faulk grew up in the poorest part of the United States and Warrick Dunn was raised by his mother who was never home because she worked three jobs. There are a lot more stories like that as well. The guy is in his mid-30s and he's made millions of dollars. I think he's over whatever happened to him when he was seven. That's all a bunch of crap. He got beat up when he was a kid a couple of times and now he can't be a good teammate? Sorry, not buying it. That's just an excuse for someone to act like a jerk.

Last edited:
A professional coach has many responsibilities, but teaching a grown person how to behave like an adult should not be one of them. Let the GM filter out the knuckleheads and let the coaches coach.

I love BB, but no one can make a difference with TO.

I can see TO in a pats uniform and their is more chance of this happening from some humble opinions of mine.
1) TO`s main freaking issue is a superbowl ring.for his greatness and self indulgence he feels that he cannot get a ring.
2)As he gets older he is going to drop off a bit and too much hassle to be hired.
3)His major gripe with mcnaab start to ballon after the superbowl loss.

let see in 2 yrs BB calls a rather older super receiver not in his prime by a small margin and offers him the one thing that can solidify his dominance a ring winning team . what do you think is going to happen?.we got alot of payers with this gig.

from history we can see what has happen to corey with age and a championship compared to his cincy days.he is actually is a nicer person now!!.
he went to the cowboys for money let him get it give him time and then offer him a chance at a ring and watch his attitude when is playing for a ring.

Last edited:
satz said:
To all the nay sayer ... let me tell you all something.

i can see TO in a pats uniform and their is more chance then not of this happening my reasons.
1) TO`s main freaking issue is a superbowl ring.for his greatness and self indulgence he feels that he cannot get a ring.
2)As he gets older he is going to drop off a bit and too much hassle to be hired.
3)His major gripe with mcnaab start to ballon after the superbowl loss.

let see in 2 yrs BB calls a rather older super receiver not in his prime by a small margin and offers him the one thing that can solidify his dominance a ring winning team . what do you think is going to happen?.

from history we can see what has happen to corey with age and a championship compared to his cincy days.

Dillon and T.O. aren't even in the same universe. Dillon was a minor disturbance at times, T.O. is an out-of-control maniac. There's a big difference there.

well people are throwing improbably possiblities why can`t I.
i am just making a scenario which might unfold and i do point a critical aspect AGE - It might not happen that is all i am saying priorities changes drastically with age.

2009/10 jackson ,to as 1 and 2 receivers

Last edited:
My only thought on the subject is this:

Pioli/Belichick ensure that players like TO don't end up on this team. And when they somehow do end up here, they make sure they're gone pretty fast.

So the only real answer to the question is that BB would handle TO by not signing him. So I think he already did a good job of that earlier in this offseason. :)

I'm Ron Borges? said:
There are a lot of people in pro sports that had a difficult upbringing and don't act this way. Marshall Faulk grew up in the poorest part of the United States and Warrick Dunn was raised by his mother who was never home because she worked three jobs. There are a lot more stories like that as well. The guy is in his mid-30s and he's made millions of dollars. I think he's over whatever happened to him when he was seven. That's all a bunch of crap. He got beat up when he was a kid a couple of times and now he can't be a good teammate? Sorry, not buying it. That's just an excuse for someone to act like a jerk.

I'm not saying that a team doesn't need him to face his responsibilities and be a good teammate. Pointing to his difficulties is just to suggest that the bad attitude may be very deep-seated and hard to deal with.

Brownfan80 said:
My only thought on the subject is this:

Pioli/Belichick ensure that players like TO don't end up on this team. And when they somehow do end up here, they make sure they're gone pretty fast.

So the only real answer to the question is that BB would handle TO by not signing him. So I think he already did a good job of that earlier in this offseason. :)

You are absolutely correct. Pioli has sad many times that BB wants low maintenance players. TO is the anthesis of that. He'd never be signed.

There is little or no evidence that bb does better than Parcells with high maintenance players.

mgteich said:
There is little or no evidence that bb does better than Parcells with high maintenance players.

BB doesn't and won't suffer fools. He believes his time is too valuable, and life is too short, to waste. Duane "big Tuna" Parcels has demonstrated that he can and will suffer fools, and try to break them into being a Team players, sort of, if it can win him a game or two.

I can see Bill Parcels uttering that famous line "...What we have here ... is a failure... to communicate..."

Compare the common denominator experiment. Parcels rode Terry Glenn unmercifully, and got him to produce, while with the Pats. He did it again with the Cowboys. BB simply cut Glenn's ass and threw him off the team, and out of town. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye