Could BB coach both father and son?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeTedWilliams

RIP NEM
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Clay Matthews (whose father played in the NFL (49ers) in the 50s), played severtal years for BB in Cleveland. Now his son Clay 3rd? is a promising OLB from USC. The last tall USC OLB that the Pats drafted ended up being a very good player. I like Matthes, and I wonder if the connection to his dad and his "pedigree" would jump him up the Pats draft board?

On a side note, has any coach in the NFL, every coached a father/son combo? I can't remember if Anthony Dorsett played for Laundry? (I just checked he didn't even play for Dallas, I thought he did) Anyone think of some others?

Last edited:
I think that he's an interesting pick on the second day. But some people here call him a 6th round pick... Then again when I asked about Boldin, people said he was 'too slow'. So I guess you can't listen to everything you hear on these boards. ;) Just judge him on your own eyes and whatever scouting reports you can dig up. It's way to early to be sure on any of these prospects. The Bowl games and Combine will fill in even more of the picture.

I think that he's an interesting pick on the second day. But some people here call him a 6th round pick... Then again when I asked about Boldin, people said he was 'too slow'. So I guess you can't listen to everything you hear on these boards. ;) Just judge him on your own eyes and whatever scouting reports you can dig up. It's way to early to be sure on any of these prospects. The Bowl games and Combine will fill in even more of the picture.

Matthews might not make it past the 2nd round. GBN has him as the 7th best OLB in the draft. He will be gone by the time the Pats pick in the 3rd round. I've seen him, and he was all over the field.

I like Matthews. Who could not like Matthews? He's Mr. Football, raised with the game in his blood, gives his all, a natural leader on the field and in the locker room. (Like, say, Dan Klecko. ;))

I would love for Matthews to be a grand success story. So here's hoping he bucks the trend of Tim McGarigle, Anthony Schlegel, Buster Davis, Jon Abbate and all of the other wonderful blue-collar leaders who were the souls of their college defenses at ILB but lacked the size and/or athleticism to carry it over to the NFL.

But I'm not drafting him early.

I like Matthews. Who could not like Matthews? He's Mr. Football, raised with the game in his blood, gives his all, a natural leader on the field and in the locker room. (Like, say, Dan Klecko. ;))

I would love for Matthews to be a grand success story. So here's hoping he bucks the trend of Tim McGarigle, Anthony Schlegel, Buster Davis, Jon Abbate and all of the other wonderful blue-collar leaders who were the souls of their college defenses at ILB but lacked the size and/or athleticism to carry it over to the NFL.

But I'm not drafting him early.

He is an OLB and is 6' 4" 240 lbs, that is more than enough size. The knock on him is his speed (4.75) Curry is listed as running a 4.60

The Pats have a history of drafting players they covet earlier than their "value," based on NE's draft position and each player's projected availability. Ex: Mankins in the first round was deemed too high, but NE knew he'd be gone by the time they picked late in the second. Taken at 10, Mayo was slotted by many to be a later first-round pick (#20 or so).

Can't remember how that Mayo kid worked out... :D

This is a roundabout way of saying that, if BB wants Clay Matthews, he'll take him in the second round.

I'm not on the Matthews bandwagon. Drafting a "son of a former great" player with high character/motivation and limited athleticism doesn't seem like a particularly good recipe for success. Dan Klecko and Matt Slater don't seem to have been overwhelming successes, at least so far. Matthews sounds like a great kid and I hope he succeeds, but he sounds like an overachiever who will have trouble maintaining success at the next level. What little I've seen of him he may make a decent backup, but I doubt he'll ever be starting calibre. JMHO.

I'm not on the Matthews bandwagon. Drafting a "son of a former great" player with high character/motivation and limited athleticism doesn't seem like a particularly good recipe for success. Dan Klecko and Matt Slater don't seem to have been overwhelming successes, at least so far. Matthews sounds like a great kid and I hope he succeeds, but he sounds like an overachiever who will have trouble maintaining success at the next level. What little I've seen of him he may make a decent backup, but I doubt he'll ever be starting calibre. JMHO.

So, just out of curiosity, where would you feel comfortable drafting him? I'm not sure: haven't seen enough of him beyond this and a coupla games:
Sling - Clay Matthews sacks the QB and forces a fumble and USC recovers - Video clip from Pac-10

I would have liked to have Howie Long's kid, Sam Adams's kid..

Oh and BTW Klecko has 4 SB rings!

I would have liked to have Howie Long's kid, Sam Adams's kid..

Oh and BTW Klecko has 4 SB rings!

Klecko doesn't have four rings....SB 38 and 39 and the one with the Colts. He wasn't here for the first one.

still at least 5 or 6 years away but the Kid of a Former star I would like to take a shot on is Barry Sanders kid.....this is based on the name and one clip I have seen.

Last edited:
So, just out of curiosity, where would you feel comfortable drafting him? I'm not sure: haven't seen enough of him beyond this and a coupla games:
Sling - Clay Matthews sacks the QB and forces a fumble and USC recovers - Video clip from Pac-10

I really haven't watched him extensively so please don't take anything I say too seriously. It just seems that he is limited athletically and a high motor kid. Kind of reminds me a bit of Zak DeOssie 2 years ago, who went to the Giants in the 4th round, though obviously USC is a whole different level of competition from Brown. I'd guess 4th is about right, 3rd would be a bit of a reach but possible. He just doesn't seem to have first day ability to me. Obviously a lot of great players have been taken on the second day, and maybe he'll turn out to be one.

He is an OLB and is 6' 4" 240 lbs, that is more than enough size. The knock on him is his speed (4.75) Curry is listed as running a 4.60

And Maualuga and Lauranitis supposedly run in the high 4.5s...

A lot of people on this board like Barwin of Cincy at OLB and now some are mentioning Mathews of USC at OLB.

While theorectically we could draft both, real life suggests we can only have one. Both are about the same size and speed, both play ST, and both have limited starting experience, something BB shies away from with early picks.

Which would you rather have?????

A lot of people on this board like Barwin of Cincy at OLB and now some are mentioning Mathews of USC at OLB.

While theorectically we could draft both, real life suggests we can only have one. Both are about the same size and speed, both play ST, and both have limited starting experience, something BB shies away from with early picks.

Which would you rather have?????
As of today? Sintim in round one for SILB. WR with SD's pick. Barwin if he's still there in the late 2nd (though I think he's going to drop if the Senior Bowl people play him exclusively at TE).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down