PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could any of our WRs contribute at CB???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jct

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Troy Brown showed that it is possible.
With all the Superalatives being thrown at our most talent WR core yet (IMO),
I ask you with practice and coaching could one of these guys jump in at CB and save the day later this year. I know if I were Cadwell or Gaffney or Washington I'd be open to that practice and coaching...otherwise I expect 1 or 2 of these guys to be traded for low picks or simply cut.
You know more than me (probably).
What do you think?
This premise may be critical with a 10 week AS holdout...
Which incidently doesnt bother me in the least as he will then have to put up great results or see his value plummet like a stone.

BAM! Childress played some CB in late 2005, maybe made an appearance last year as well. I don't expect a WR to have to play CB unless we get killed by injuries again. Andrews or Richardson are more likely to contribute at the position if that happens

What Pete said. I'm sure Bam will get some more cross-training there, though I expect him to be a third year Practice Squader as things currently stand.

I'm more interested in hearing/seeing how Spann and Andrews perform in their second year with the team, Spann wasn't bad in NFLE last year and was a nice Special Teamer for the Pats, he reminded me a bit of Blue's 2005 season with both his size/speed and play. That hit he put on the San Diego PR after the muff was golden in the Playoffs.

Reiss reports Richardson got some reps at CB with Samuel, Spann, Jackson, and Meriweather not on the field, he got a pick off Cassell in 7-on-7's.

I ask you with practice and coaching could one of these guys jump in at CB and save the day later this year.

I think Brown would be the best option at CB. I think they should try Chad Jackson there since he is apparently no where close too making a contribution as a wide receiver.

Bam Childress played DB in the 2005 finale vs. Miami.

Randy Moss could play DB on Hail Mary attempts by the other team.

I should have read Pete's post before posting.

Last edited:
I could have sworn I read an article somewhere saying that, if needed, Wes Welker was ready to play emergency CB for the Doofins.

WR, KR, PR, K, CB . . . is there any "skill position" he can't play? :)

This isn't college. :rolleyes:

If you want someone as an emergency CB, then we still have time to go out and get one.

I think Brown would be the best option at CB. I think they should try Chad Jackson there since he is apparently no where close too making a contribution as a wide receiver.

Might that be because he is hurt?? He needs a chance to get over his injury, and then decisions can be made.

I could have sworn I read an article somewhere saying that, if needed, Wes Welker was ready to play emergency CB for the Doofins.

WR, KR, PR, K, CB . . . is there any "skill position" he can't play? :)
He collected 20-some ints as a high school DB and was named to some AP list as a DB, I saw no mention he was used at DB in college, but then neither was Troy.

Chad Jackson played some FS while at Hoover High (that's almost Oakland/Dolphin level football from what I hear).

Last edited:
This isn't college. :rolleyes:

If you want someone as an emergency CB, then we still have time to go out and get one.
Yup, Mickens is still available and wanted to come back from a note I saw a couple weeks back. There will be some old vets cut to make way for youngsters like James was allowed to leave Cincy to create room for Joseph. I'm still an Antwain Spann fan! :rocker: Life is good.

He collected 20-some ints as a high school DB and was named to some AP list as a DB, I saw no mention he was used at DB in college, but then neither was Troy.

Chad Jackson played some FS while at Hoover High (that's almost Oakland/Dolphin level football from what I hear).

:rofl:

Now that would be an entertaining lede for an article . . .

"The Miami Dolphins lost a pre-season game to the Buccaneers. No, not the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Buccaneers of Hoover High School in Alabama."

Thanks for your quality responses.
Having AS say he is returning in week 10 is a positive IMO.
He should be healthy and forced to preform at Top 5 CB level or his value will drop next year.
I'm not counting on Bam in the first 10 weeks.
I was thinking some of the prove it contract guys Washington/Stallworth/Moss represent more than just WR talent and could see some duty on defense...

Thanks for your quality responses.
Having AS say he is returning in week 10 is a positive IMO.
He should be healthy and forced to preform at Top 5 CB level or his value will drop next year.
I'm not counting on Bam in the first 10 weeks.
I was thinking some of the prove it contract guys Washington/Stallworth/Moss represent more than just WR talent and could see some duty on defense...
I think that's a stretch for the three guys you mentioned, Stallworth is the only quick twitch guy there and he has an injury risk to contend with...Troy was/is a pretty durable WR with experience for his nickelback role from playing so much slot time. Donte is an outside deep threat who runs much different routes. If not Bam, Welker or Gaffney or Caldwell, but not the others.

If he continues to struggle Washington may have little choice if he wants to make this roster or any other... Aren't college corners often born of guys who just couldn't crack the roster as receivers being converted for salvage?

And if having AS returning in week 10 is a positive, I shudder to think what you would classify as a negative. If he isn't here in week -1, he's likely going to be playing somewhere else by week 10.

If he continues to struggle Washington may have little choice if he wants to make this roster or any other... Aren't college corners often born of guys who just couldn't crack the roster as receivers being converted for salvage?

And if having AS returning in week 10 is a positive, I shudder to think what you would classify as a negative. If he isn't here in week -1, he's likely going to be playing somewhere else by week 10.

I guess the point of this thread was that BB doesn't care what position title you carry...Vrabel,Seymour on offense,Brown on defense, Ol as TE, its more about what can you do for us.

Also if you look at the past 5 years by week 10 we have usually had 15 guys on IR. Having a franchise player talent for the playoff push, and being forced to prove last year wasn't a fluke ought to play out well for us.

IMO I trust the front office, if we make a trade thats fine. If we sit tight till week 10 thats ok too. (It saves us millions in cap space.) But right now we probably have a surplus of talent at WR....maybe in training camp we'll see some surprises.

I guess the point of this thread was that BB doesn't care what position title you carry...Vrabel,Seymour on offense,Brown on defense, Ol as TE, its more about what can you do for us.

Now there's something I hope I never see again. :)

Troy Brown showed that it is possible.
With all the Superalatives being thrown at our most talent WR core yet (IMO),
I ask you with practice and coaching could one of these guys jump in at CB and save the day later this year. I know if I were Cadwell or Gaffney or Washington I'd be open to that practice and coaching...otherwise I expect 1 or 2 of these guys to be traded for low picks or simply cut.
You know more than me (probably).
What do you think?
This premise may be critical with a 10 week AS holdout...
Which incidently doesnt bother me in the least as he will then have to put up great results or see his value plummet like a stone.

no offense...but,why?

The pats have safeties who are backup cb's.....why

would you want to take a wr,who has never played cb at any level and make him a cb?

btw......Troy Brown has NEVER played cornerback......never has,never will.
He's played nickleback....not CB.....big difference.

There's not a WR in the NFL who you would match-up against an OUTSIDE wideout.

Would you put Steve Smith of the Panthers against Randy Moss,just because he's fast?

This is insane.......unless we have catastrophic injuries at cb and safety,you'll never see Troy Brown at nickleback,again.

Most of them could but if Asante leaves-I'd like to see Eugene Wilson do it occassionally and tie up some recievers.

I agree. If we need another corner, we should go out and get one. There will be at least a dozen who will be better than any of our wide receivers at the position.

Yup, Mickens is still available and wanted to come back from a note I saw a couple weeks back. There will be some old vets cut to make way for youngsters like James was allowed to leave Cincy to create room for Joseph. I'm still an Antwain Spann fan! :rocker: Life is good.

Might that be because he is hurt?? He needs a chance to get over his injury, and then decisions can be made.

In my opinion, Injury or no injury, I don't think Jackson is ever going to materialize into a top-notch wide receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down