PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coughlin Stepping Down as HC of NYG

Status
Not open for further replies.
TomCoughlinWalker.png

Seems pretty clear he was asked to resign. Although it may be time for a change, you've got to wonder who the Giants think there is out there who is better. I wonder if they'll look at McDaniels or Patricia. I hope not as then they will have not only stolen our rings, but our good coaches too!

It was time, if not a season overdue. At least the Giants allowed him the dignity of resigning, though by not retiring isn't he sending Mara a message?

Not a bad coach by any means. Twice he managed to capture lightning in a bottle and make the most of it, so he should be congratulated for capitalizing on those opportunities. Putting it another way, he has a knack for riding momentum like few others. However I can't grade him as a great coach despite the rings. He more than once lost the locker room, had persistent tendencies to bad clock management and diva coddling (OBJ and Shockey to name a few); I always thought he was closer to a drill sergeant than an X's and O's guy.

No doubt the NY press and NFL media shills will ensure his entry into the Hall of Fame, but in my book he doesn't make the top 25 coaches, let alone the elite level.

One other observation that I saw in few other coaches - he put all of his energy and emotions into winning pre-season games....I will always miss that spectacle :D

Seems pretty clear he was asked to resign. Although it may be time for a change, you've got to wonder who the Giants think there is out there who is better. I wonder if they'll look at McDaniels or Patricia. I hope not as then they will have not only stolen our rings, but our good coaches too!

I think they'll give up a 2nd for Payton. Giants fans are going to miss Coughlin. He's a good coach. The real issue with that team is Jerry Reese. His drafts have been pretty pathetic.

Reese has been asleep at the wheel for 3 years now.

I have a ton of respect for Tom Coughlin.

He put the Jaguars on the map and got two big underdogs to play out of their minds when they needed to.

Good riddance....bastard.:p

I thought this would be a really tough job for McDaniels to turn down if he ends up being a top candidate.

And then I remembered about Jerry Reese.

I wish him the best of luck with whatever he decides to do next.

I thought this would be a really tough job for McDaniels to turn down if he ends up being a top candidate.

And then I remembered about Jerry Reese.

I hear you. People keep saying it's a good gig, but I don't really get it.

1. Eli is going to be 35 years old next year.
  2. The defense and offensive line need major rebuilds.
  3. Cruz may not be the same when he finally gets back.
  4. Nicks is done.
  5. Randle has knee problems.

Looks a bit fools goldish, to me, unless Josh has a definite feel for one of this year's QBs, and that QB will definitely be available by the time the 10th pick comes around.

I hear you. People keep saying it's a good gig, but I don't really get it.

1. Eli is going to be 35 years old next year.
  2. The defense and offensive line need major rebuilds.
  3. Cruz may not be the same when he finally gets back.
  4. Nicks is done.
  5. Randle has knee problems.

Looks a bit fools goldish, to me, unless Josh has a definite feel for one of this year's QBs, and that QB will definitely be available by the time the 10th pick comes around.

Only way Josh should go is if he gets a 5 year deal and final say over personnel. which won't happen.

All the best to Coach Coughlin in whatever he does going forwards, a truly classy individual and upstanding HC.

I can see NY appealing to McKid and maybe even BB telling him to go for it if he really wants another HC gig.

As Deus pointed out there are issues to be addressed, but there's still some talent there too, and the division is wide open. A fantastic organisation with a patient and consistent owner may be too much to turn down if the offer arises.

I dislike the Giants, but I've kind of always been OK with Coughlin. I do think, however, he's been somewhat overrated in some quarters. Lots of years with out making the playoffs with what many continue to describe as an elite QB. I think that's BS and I think the QB's last name has had lots to do with how people assess Eli Manning's career. I don't think either Coughlin or Manning has been as good as they're generally considered. With that said, there was some magic on a couple of Sundays which I attribute to good fortune as much as anything else.

A classy excellent coach I wish him luck when it doesn't hurt us to do so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back