PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cottrell fired in SD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
D co-ordinator Ted Cottrell just got the axe...asst coach taking over the defense...yikes

Re: OT: Cottrell fired in SD..

I believe Ron Rivera will be taking over the D-coordinator position. He was previously the LB'ers coach and was the D-coordinator of the Bears when they went to the SB in 2006.

that is correctomundo

Cotrell won't stop until he is fired from every team in the league. He is a horrible DC who seems to keep on getting jobs with team after team.

Cotrell won't stop until he is fired from every team in the league. He is a horrible DC who seems to keep on getting jobs with team after team.

Can the Colts hire him for a week or two? I wouldn't mind him rolling out his patented "Cover Who?" defense for them. :D

Can the Colts hire him for a week or two? I wouldn't mind him rolling out his patented "Cover Who?" defense for them. :D

What a graet line.

He's amazingly bad.

Are you serious Ron Rivera was the assistant defensive co-ordinator? I was wondering what happened to him... he was one of the biggest names a few years back for becoming a new head coach... and he ended up taking an asst. DC job?! Ouch, what the heck happened there?

Cottrell was crap in his last few years with the Jets and seemed to be reverting back to his old ways, because their defense has been garbage this year. Good move for SD.

Any time an arch enemy starts to fire coaches in mid season, it works for me.

I always knew that he had to be bad because Smerlas has always claimed he's great. Good one, Fred...

Any time an arch enemy starts to fire coaches in mid season, it works for me.

I agree completely...

Are you serious Ron Rivera was the assistant defensive co-ordinator? I was wondering what happened to him... he was one of the biggest names a few years back for becoming a new head coach... and he ended up taking an asst. DC job?! Ouch, what the heck happened there?

Cottrell was crap in his last few years with the Jets and seemed to be reverting back to his old ways, because their defense has been garbage this year. Good move for SD.

I was wondering the same thing. I guess people just thought he was window dressing and Lovie Smith was the one behind the D being so good.

Maybe they are putting Rivera in position to take over for Norv in a couple of weeks. Hell, they can even bypass the Rooney Rule with him and put a Haslett clause into the contract.

Well, I'm sure according to Chargers fans there will be no lapse, just like there was no lapse when they fired their head coach after all the better HC candidates had found jobs in the first place.

Was reading comments from fans after the Wembley game out of curiosity and SD fans were calling for his head in almost every post, so much so infact I think there might be a party in Qualcomm today.

It was because two years ago the Bears screwed him over late in the offseason which also coincided with a late offseason firing of Marty Schottenheimer and hiring of Norv Turner. Cottrell was already in place as the DC and was familiar with the system so Rivera got to be a position coach.

Chargers front office is trash. They have a good scouting department, but thats it.

-Let Drew Brees walk and kept Rivers... Brees is much better.

-Let Michael Turner walk and kept LT... LT is on the downside of his career while Turners hitting his peak (Top 5 RB this year. LT is not)

-Didn't get Merriman to go for his surgery in the off-season = Losing him for the entire 08-09 season.

-Replaced Schottenheimer/Wade regime with Norv Turner. Norv Turner??? Really? LOL@Them

-Will let Merriman walk and will keep Jyles Tucker.

Last edited:

Chargers front office is trash. They have a good scouting department, but thats it.

-Let Drew Brees walk and kept Rivers... Brees is much better.

-Let Michael Turner walk and kept LT... LT is on the downside of his career while Turners hitting his peak (Top 5 RB this year. LT is not)

-Didn't get Merriman to go for his surgery in the off-season = Losing him for the entire 08-09 season.

-Replaced Schottenheimer/Wade regime with Norv Turner. Norv Turner??? Really? LOL@Them

-Will let Merriman walk and will keep Jyles Tucker.

This must be the worst post ever. Every single attempted point is meaningless.

-Brees is not much better. Over the past two years, Rivers has maintained a higher passer rating than Brees....Fact.

-Turner was no longer under contract and commanded WAY more than we could afford. Why dont the Pats have Brady starting and both Mannings as backups? Just stupid.

- The team doctors told Merriman to have surgery. He didnt. You cant force a player to have surgery. His fault, not the team. Again, stupid.

-We replaced Wade?...really?? Did we fire him? Oh right, we "allowed" him to walk. Follow football much?

- And now you're predicting the future....

Let's face it, you know nothing about SD or our front office. Stick to hockey or whatever you have.

This must be the worst post ever. Every single attempted point is meaningless.

-Brees is not much better. Over the past two years, Rivers has maintained a higher passer rating than Brees....Fact.

-Turner was no longer under contract and commanded WAY more than we could afford. Why dont the Pats have Brady starting and both Mannings as backups? Just stupid.

- The team doctors told Merriman to have surgery. He didnt. You cant force a player to have surgery. His fault, not the team. Again, stupid.

-We replaced Wade?...really?? Did we fire him? Oh right, we "allowed" him to walk. Follow football much?

- And now you're predicting the future....

Let's face it, you know nothing about SD or our front office. Stick to hockey or whatever you have.
don't mind KillEM, he's just mad that we raped cassell a couple weeks ago

Chargers front office is trash.

Wow. Absolutely, positively can't agree -- they have a fantastic personnel operation. And lots of the "choices" you cite weren't real choices. You don't simply "choose" between a free agent and a guy under long-term contract.

But I do agree that the Chargers' brass threw away all of their good work by flexing their egos instead of their brains and handing the keys to Turner and Cottrell. That's not hindsight, either...every football fan in America cringed at the 11th-hour hire of Turner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back